Universal Love Ben McGlynn

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been seeing his name pop up consistently in discussions on the board, I think it's time to give the man his own thread.

He's been sensational this year, and I'm sure I'm one of many who thinks Benny deserves a flag. The hardest worker in the team and has performed at his best in just about every game this season.

also saw this on the main board about Benny joining the quadruple double club this season (one of only 4 players to d so). Just shows how hard he's working

Ben McGlynn the other week against Fremantle
14 Kicks
10 Marks
10 Handballs
12 Tackles
He joins the club. :)

Well done Benny, now for that elusive flag

cant speak highly enough about him - runs all day, tackles well, is a reliable mark, and has a little bit of psycho aggression which enables him to play as a mean spirited tagger if need be.

gee whiz i like him as a player

Honestly at the start of the year before the season started I thought he was close to finished. This year he has turned everything around and is one of our most consistent midfielders and turned into a real leader.

woah, he really stepped up to the plate didnt he. 100+ average puts him in some pretty good company.

also, if you look at the 3 years preceding 2014 itd be a fair assessment to say he was on the decline, which was most peoples opinion of him. what a gun

I know its just stats but 100+ puts him up in the elite for this year

None of his statistical categories are top 10 or "elite" (whatever that means) but he does a bit of everything which is what makes him so valuable. He has strong numbers for all of tackles, marks, contested possessions, clearances, inside 50's, goals, behinds (ie. scoring shots), goal assists. His all round game has been tremendously valuable this year in the midfield along with his pace and never-say-die motor and attitude. He flies around the field making tackles for 100 minutes like few other players I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He made himself unavailable early enough during the 2012 grand final week to make sure the preparations weren't about him. Big respect.

482255.jpg

McGlynn and Tippet

Any information on McGlynn's calf injury?
Is he just being rested against the Saints or is this a genuine calf injury which usually takes 3 weeks to recover from?

“Ben McGlynn had a sore calf during the course of the game (last week) and we expected him to be okay by the back end of the week.

"We were hoping he would get up this week, but unfortunely he hasn't"

im happy that benny is missing this game, i hope it freshens him up for a huge finals campaign.

if he's been putting manic efforts in during the h&a season i can't wait to see him go beast mode in finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back