Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom?

Forest was recently talking about players turning their back on the AFL (Greene, Oliver, Filo etc). To add another dimension to this discussion I have listed three players who didn't even try to play AFL, but would have been very capable at that level - Peter Moroni, Ron Best & Brodie Filo.

Sandhurst, Golden Square & Castlemaine's recruiting shows good players are coming into the BFNL so it is not all gloom and doom. Castlemaine have two VFL listed players and Kangaroo Flat another who has been VFL listed and we are only in November. Jonty Neaves (Eaglehawk) is also a class recruit. I understand clearances don't actually open until February. Unlike others I also don't see the Dragons as overwhelming favorites for the flag. Sure they have recruited well, but they have lost Hamish Hosking who is just about irreplaceable and Matt Thorton, Andy Collins & Lee Coughlan who were great players over many years. It also looks like Cooper Smith will take some time to get back on the park. For all the faults with the BFNL at the bottom end of the ladder which I am not denying or pretending everything is rosey, last years final series was a good competitive one and if Gisborne & Castlemaine can make the finals next year the competition will be much healthier.
Always good for a competition when ex-AFL/state league players sign on for interest in the league and improves junior retention & development. Fans of other clubs might be disheartened seeing an already strong club recruiting quality players but good to see Greene returning out of the AFL. Whatever he's getting at Sandhurst, someone would've been offering more in the city so good on him giving back to his home club.

Would be interested in seeing the stats on players going to regional leagues vs metro ones once they're finished at higher levels and how many are returning to their home clubs vs new clubs to see how much the 46 point system in metro comps is advantaging these clubs in recruiting. Less player points = less clubs who can recruit 5/6 point players = less suitors for these players & less bidding wars/less having to be paid to secure them? Should be a uniform tiered points system across the state to have more equal access to these guys.

Metro leagues continuing to use SportsTG/myGameDay over PlayHQ makes it near impossible to track player's past playing history otherwise I'd look into it myself, tried it the other day and noticed you can't even view the player points in the Eastern League or EDFL results from this season, just fails to load all together:think: a bug or a feature!? Maybe I'm just cynical

Personally think the signing of Matthew Campbell, while a bit more lowkey than Greene and Tardrew committing full time, is a very nice one. He's had a pretty stunning rise the last few years getting into state footy, he has a great leap on him so he is capable of a few highlight reel moments and he can play both down back and up forward. Reads it so well

Always good for a competition when ex-AFL/state league players sign on for interest in the league and improves junior retention & development. Fans of other clubs might be disheartened seeing an already strong club recruiting quality players but good to see Greene returning out of the AFL. Whatever he's getting at Sandhurst, someone would've been offering more in the city so good on him giving back to his home club.

Would be interested in seeing the stats on players going to regional leagues vs metro ones once they're finished at higher levels and how many are returning to their home clubs vs new clubs to see how much the 46 point system in metro comps is advantaging these clubs in recruiting. Less player points = less clubs who can recruit 5/6 point players = less suitors for these players & less bidding wars/less having to be paid to secure them? Should be a uniform tiered points system across the state to have more equal access to these guys.

Metro leagues continuing to use SportsTG/myGameDay over PlayHQ makes it near impossible to track player's past playing history otherwise I'd look into it myself, tried it the other day and noticed you can't even view the player points in the Eastern League or EDFL results from this season, just fails to load all together:think: a bug or a feature!? Maybe I'm just cynical
Metro going to PlayHQ from next year

Personally think the signing of Matthew Campbell, while a bit more lowkey than Greene and Tardrew committing full time, is a very nice one. He's had a pretty stunning rise the last few years getting into state footy, he has a great leap on him so he is capable of a few highlight reel moments and he can play both down back and up forward. Reads it so well
Who did he play for last year?

Couldn't agree more tasmanlvr, Matthew is a star and potentially could be the best player in the competition. Will be a terrific acquisition and will excite spectators if he really gets going. Played some excellent football at North this year and was prominent in the TSL team of the year awards.

No definitely half back, that was a hard forward line to break into. I have a feeling the scoring average is still the highest ever in a season, it was something crazy like 180 odd points a game.

Oliver, Henderson, Sean Smith, Mick Pedretti, Brett Fitzpatrick and a heap of attacking midfielders.
Was a bloody good team and as well as a few excitement machines they had some other guys such as Filo and a fellow called David Rath who was a very underrated player and went on to be a key coach and assistant to Alastair Clarkson during his golden era at Hawthorn.

Looking back, this team was one of the best I have seen in country footy and if it was going around today would dominate.

Times have certainly changed in getting players of this calibre playing in country footy.

Was a bloody good team and as well as a few excitement machines they had some other guys such as Filo and a fellow called David Rath who was a very underrated player and went on to be a key coach and assistant to Alastair Clarkson during his golden era at Hawthorn.

Looking back, this team was one of the best I have seen in country footy and if it was going around today would dominate.

Times have certainly changed in getting players of this calibre playing in country footy.

Yeah Rusty Rath was a student in those days and has gone on to have an excellent career in the AFL, has moved to the Wallabies now.

Probably the most amazing thing about that side was 18 of the 20 played Castlemaine junior footy and the other two were Dean Costello who was a long time local copper and David Cox who was going out with and later married the then President’s daughter. So basically everyone was a local, no head hunting or bringing in recruits.

Couldn't agree more tasmanlvr, Matthew is a star and potentially could be the best player in the competition. Will be a terrific acquisition and will excite spectators if he really gets going. Played some excellent football at North this year and was prominent in the TSL team of the year awards.
What’s his background? Not from the area?

What’s his background? Not from the area?
Nah we were together at Mernda in the Northern FNL for a few years. Had a massive turnaround a few years back, was dropped to the two's, then tried down back and had a big second half of the year, wound up winning the best and fairest.

Tried his hand at state league and he did really well, now back in Victoria. Not bad coming from division three in the Northern and proving himself big time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah we were together at Mernda in the Northern FNL for a few years. Had a massive turnaround a few years back, was dropped to the two's, then tried down back and had a big second half of the year, wound up winning the best and fairest.

Tried his hand at state league and he did really well, now back in Victoria. Not bad coming from division three in the Northern and proving himself big time
Sounds like a good lad with the right attitude, any idea of his connection at the club?

Maiden Gully President saying they are still applying to play under 18s next year and are awaiting approval, and will look to move across fully in the years after that.

The Bendigo FNL boards incompetence has raised its head yet again ! Loddon valley have appealed Maiden gully under 18s leaving - The interesting thing is the board have told AFL CV ( which is being run by Cam tomlins and he is also still running the bendigo bfl ) that all bendigo clubs are in favour of maiden gully joining. This ISNT the case - now they are just lying and making things up as they go along. It couldn’t get any poorly managed - This has come from 3 bendigo clubs that they DONT support maiden gully coming in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Bendigo FNL boards incompetence has raised its head yet again ! Loddon valley have appealed Maiden gully under 18s leaving - The interesting thing is the board have told AFL CV ( which is being run by Cam tomlins and he is also still running the bendigo bfl ) that all bendigo clubs are in favour of maiden gully joining. This ISNT the case - now they are just lying and making things up as they go along. It couldn’t get any poorly managed - This has come from 3 bendigo clubs that they DONT support maiden gully coming in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not a very well thought through thing to fib about. Jack the blind miner could see Kangaroo Flat would have to have rocks in their heads to be in favour of Maiden Gully coming in.

Yep but most kids are at bendigo senior and most parents would work in Bendigo so I don't think it's that big of an issue, 20 years ago most kids that were good at footy from marong maiden gully went to flat, don't reckon that happens as much now

Yep but most kids are at bendigo senior and most parents would work in Bendigo so I don't think it's that big of an issue, 20 years ago most kids that were good at footy from marong maiden gully went to flat, don't reckon that happens as much now

Just what I’ve heard from parents of Maiden Gully kids old mate

I would have thought Maiden Gully coming in would be the end of Kangaroo Flat as a Bendigo League club.

Surely that side of town couldn’t support two big time teams.

Why not? We've got south and sandhurst in the centre, maiden gully or marong are the next bfl team,

I think your post a couple up explains why.

Kids from the outer area are already being sucked into the school/league/Pioneers/club cartel which takes them to the town clubs.

Not that many left to go around with the leave of ability to play top level.

I’m sceptical that the depth of talent or playing numbers exists to create any new Bendigo league teams, especially in the seconds and thirds.

If a new team comes from bastardising the territory of an existing team that is already battling then I think it is condemning them to doom.

Bendigo is a shitload bigger than it was 20 years ago, what are kids doing today? The inception of development squads is pushing more kids away from playing, as if they don't make a squad, they give up, where's the afl to grow our participation rates from auskick to senior footy, I'm not sure they care, as long as elite talent is spotted and drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back