Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope the club doesn't rush in Kris Jaksch, his foot injury sounds fairly seriously, we need to take a conservative approach, he should spend at least a month in the VFL to get his fitness base up.

He is a high investment player for us, a prudent approach is the best one.
But when he does return, i suspect he will be playing down back mainly to start with

He didn't even have it strapped at training on Saturday and participated in everything along with everyone else. I think the initial information released about his injury was incorrect.

It's really not serious at all and was more ankle than foot. He'll be fine.

Ah that's a relief, initial reports suggested he had a foot stress fracture, which had me worried...

Hopefully we will get to see him in the NAB challenge :)

He didn't even have it strapped at training on Saturday and participated in everything along with everyone else. I think the initial information released about his injury was incorrect.
The first doctor was very wrong. Second & third opinion was sought & all good. Ankle that was injured during year put pressure on his foot but nothing as bad as first thought.

Good news on the KJ front. Agree that we shouldn't rush him into the seniors - get a taste for VFL (over NEAFL) and build his frame up a bit. Based on training, reckon Whitey might be hard to displace as the 3rd tall down back behind Jamo/Rowe, and LJ is earmarked for the spare tall spot up forward. Work him into the year and make him earn a spot - ideal case I'd say he plays 10 games in 2015 unless he absolutely kills it.

Malthouse rates him and at this point in time he looks as though he'd be a starter, to me.

Plenty of time for that to change but White is looking in great shape and kicking the ball beautifully at the moment.
Name one player of decent caliber White has shut down?

The proof is in his body of work to date, the man couldn't spoil a beach ball.

Name one player of decent caliber White has shut down?

The proof is in his body of work to date, the man couldn't spoil a beach ball.
R6 v West Coast - kept Darling to 0.1
R10 v Adelaide - kept Tex Walker to 1.1
R18 v North - kept Black to 0.1

Also had quite a few touches playing loose and had a pretty handy DE% off his boot. Also was excellent as a swingman late in the year when injuries were crippling us. Say what you want, but he's proven himself and if he keeps tracking the way he is over the preseason, he'll start R1. Bank it.

#burn #leaveWhiteyalone

Played 18 of the past 19 games this year. Ask Mick.

White is performing exceptionally at training at that's what I'll go by..............not any preconceptions.
Shouldn't be a problem getting that info from Mick should it andrew_ ? What with the 'inside info' ;)

Now can we all just get back to some positive player re-enforcement?!

Gibbsy for the Charlie in 2015 - yeew!

DVR & Smitty followed by KJ & Gowers for me.

I'll just be happy to see Gilesy play VFL.

EDIT: I forgot Whiley. Add him to the first 2.

For me, its gotta be between DVR, Boekie and Smith from the new kids - but really think Whiley is going to take the game by the scruff of the neck in 2015. s**t thing is that people will expect it/see it coming now he's been unfairly dubbed 'the next Anthony Miles' (who's younger than him btw). Why can't he be 'the first Mark Whiley'?

Now can we all just get back to some positive player re-enforcement?!

It would be easier if we had a team that was not 13th on the ladder. You cannot expect everyone to be happy with every player when we been going backwards on ladder in recent years. I'd love it to all be happy times of our cup runneth over with so many stellar performers but we got a long way to go.

I look forward to seeing a lot of development in so many players. Will be happy myself when I see us a serious contender. There is a lot to be positive about but we still are essentially 13th so until we are up near the top, don't expect to see all fans happy with where we are. Not everyone sees all our players in rose coloured glasses. White is a good foot soldier but lets not make him out to be any better than that at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a player bagger! Just a realist, when someone can't play footy I'll point it out, when someone can I'll give them kudos. And in my opinion White isn't AFL material. Btw Matty411 Black isn't a decent forward, he averaged 1 goal a game this year lel. Shutting down Tex isn't really an achievement when its his second game back from a knee reconstruction and I'll give ya Darling haha.

Anyways back to the topic, I reckon Dangerfield would look mighty nice in Navy Blue and fit well into our best 22 in 2016;).

Bolters for the 2015 season, I reckon Thomas will recapture most of his All Australian form next year, he showed glimpses this year and from what I've heard he's training well. Also if given a proper run of games, Buckley will cement his spot in the team hopefully, have we heard how he's training after his injury?

Whilst some focus on the brand new toys of recent draft, I myself hope to see Giles, Cripps and Holman of previous draft batch show they are not just going to be another McCarthy, McInnes, Bootsma or Mitchell story. Have not seen enough of Giles yet to so hopefully next year I get to see him in action. Also like to see Cripps show more than promise but first season a broken leg gave him little chance to make a mark.
Cripps and Graham in particular are very important that one of them seriously make it as A grade level midfielders in long term. Holman is only a pick 51 or so , expectations not high but hopefully he can develop and make great strides.

It would be easier if we had a team that was not 13th on the ladder. You cannot expect everyone to be happy with every player when we been going backwards on ladder in recent years. I'd love it to all be happy times of our cup runneth over with so many stellar performers but we got a long way to go.

I look forward to seeing a lot of development in so many players. Will be happy myself when I see us a serious contender. There is a lot to be positive about but we still are essentially 13th so until we are up near the top, don't expect to see all fans happy with where we are. Not everyone sees all our players in rose coloured glasses. White is a good foot soldier but lets not make him out to be any better than that at this stage.
Fair cop. Don't get me wrong, I've been extremely critical of a lot of our players in the past when its been warranted (luckily for us as a team going forward, most of those guys were recently moved on) - but guys like Whitey who've had a career best year and have overcome injury, and isn't the most naturally skilled player - they deserve praise, not criticism. Sure, I see guys with more potential like Jaksch surpassing him in the future but all teams need those foot soldiers/role players.

I'd argue that a lot of the time, those guys are more important to the overall result of the team. Sure, they won't get the praise and acclaim of the Yarrans, Judds and Murphys. But the Coaches know, and recognise that - and is why they love them... and why White would play R1 imo. Like Maxwell at Collingwood - certain characteristics are sometimes worth more than speed, flashiness or supercoach points.

I'm not a player bagger! Just a realist, when someone can't play footy I'll point it out, when someone can I'll give them kudos. And in my opinion White isn't AFL material. Btw Matty411 Black isn't a decent forward, he averaged 1 goal a game this year lel. Shutting down Tex isn't really an achievement when its his second game back from a knee reconstruction and I'll give ya Darling haha.

Anyways back to the topic, I reckon Dangerfield would look mighty nice in Navy Blue and fit well into our best 22 in 2016;).

Bolters for the 2015 season, I reckon Thomas will recapture most of his All Australian form next year, he showed glimpses this year and from what I've heard he's training well. Also if given a proper run of games, Buckley will cement his spot in the team hopefully, have we heard how he's training after his injury?

Thomas: Has some conditioning to catch up on but is healthy.
Buckley: Little jet running like the wind and roosting 60 mt. kicks from the middle.

White: A stand-out on the occasions I've seen him. Looks stronger, taller and quicker. May not be the case but he's looking great.

Patrick Cripps almost feels like a brand new recruit to me as well, very excited to see how he goes in an (hopefully) injury free 2015.

Looking forward to the return of Andre Everitt as well, i was a bit dubious about his recruitment initially, but the bro of Spider won me over, definitely gave us the best value (before his season ending injury) of our recycled recruits last season.

Exciting thing for me going into 2015 is we no longer have a definitive best 22 set in stone anymore, we now have a flexibility on out list, and a range of players who have the versatility to play in a number of positions around the ground, which is a luxury Hawthorn have had in recent years.

There is now an unpredictable factor to our squad now which i am excited to watch out and discover next season :)

Granted Black had a poor year, and Tex was on return from injury. But in a lot of the games, he swapped opponent regularly and didn't overly have too many strong shutdown jobs. Good year overall though.

Agree on Danger - but reckon we've got our eyes on someone better :eek:;)

Perhaps of the GWS variety.

Love doing hypothetical best 22's, know damned well at the moment got Buckley's of getting it right.

A probable v possible practice match would be a sight to behold with so many spots on the line.

Just some random match ups that would be fun to watch on the training track (not possible/probable match ups)

Boekhorst V Yarran
Rowe V Casboult
Gibbs V Carrazzo
Murphy V Curnow
Kreuzer V Warnock V Wood (whatever combination)
Menzel V Sheehan
Buckley V Smith
Simpson V Viojo Rainbow
Judd V Whiley
Cripps V Bell
Henderson V Jamison
Jones V Jaksch
Watson V White
Walker V Everitt
Docherty V Thomas
Byrne V Tuohy
Graham V Ellard
Johnson V Dick
Russell V Armfield
Foster V Fields
Holman V Walsh
Tutt V Gowers
Giles excluded for now

Sure would be some other good matches, but they spring to mind for a variety of reasons

I'd argue that a lot of the time, those guys are more important to the overall result of the team. Sure, they won't get the praise and acclaim of the Yarrans, Judds and Murphys. But the Coaches know, and recognise that - and is why they love them...

If White can ever be as good as Peter McConville type I will be happy. It is the type of foot soldier he needs to aspire to be as good as.
McConville played in an era of super talented team. He was no Kenny Hunter, Wayne Johnston , Doull or Jesaulenko but he was still valued. Lets hope White can be that good. He's played a few handy games but I want to see a lot more before I get as excited as some of you are over him. He's still very much a fringe player to my way of thinking. If he can be flexible and help out up forward and back when needed then I'll be more than happy to see him become a 200 game player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back