Best 22 for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally don't see Armfield or Curnow in the 22 if Carrazzo plays. I agree that Curnow would be the unlucky one in that scenario as he certainly did well this year.

We should be thankful that we can even discuss Scotland and Carrazzo not being in our best team.

It's conceivable that both may spend time in the VFL next year.

We should be thankful that we can even discuss Scotland and Carrazzo not being in our best team.

It's conceivable that both may spend time in the VFL next year.

True, shows that we have depth and good young players coming up.

Carrazzo was one of our top 3-4 players a few years ago...for the clubs sake its good that he's actually not a big loss anymore as we have the likes of Curnow to play his role.
We certainly dont rely on Judd to win games anymore...partly because his form isnt what it used to be but you can see the load is spread more evenly.
Scotland has been a good servant for us but again he is replaceable with Docherty, Graham etc.

The only player we have yet got a successful understudy for is Waite. We filled his spot with Henderson last year when injured but still want a good young KPF.

Carazzo could be a serious bonus next year if he can get anywhere close to 2012 form.

Absolutely so.
The bigger bonus though may come from Murphy playing injury free.

Then just to round off the bonuses is for things to click with Yarran and Lucas and have them realize their potential. Doesn't need too much.

I feel that the impact a fit Murph will have is being underestimated.

He did have his leg issue but I wonder whether the burden of the captaincy held him back a bit in his first year also.

Still have the feeling that something went awry where it came to the captaincy decision.
We were quick to give Carrazzo another 2 years when he still had a year to run. I recall that made me confident that he'd be announced as the captain.

I do wonder whether marketability came into question around that decision. I may be well off but something just didn't seem right.

He did have his leg issue but I wonder whether the burden of the captaincy held him back a bit in his first year also.

Still have the feeling that something went awry where it came to the captaincy decision.
We were quick to give Carrazzo another 2 years when he still had a year to run. I recall that made me confident that he'd be announced as the captain.

I do wonder whether marketability came into question around that decision. I may be well off but something just didn't seem right.

The captaincy may have held him back in the first half or so of the season, however, by season's end I saw Murph do a number of things that were very captainy :p

He kicked a couple of goals at crucial times - sometimes he even demanded the ball from teammates (Port game last quarter). Now, contrast this against what Cotchin did in the final quarter of the EF. Cotchin marked the ball and had the chance to kick a set shot from a very gettable position. Instead, he chose to pass the ball to Edwards in a more difficult spot (who ended up missing anyway). Now, if Cotchin were my captain I would have wanted him to take control and kick the goal (or at least try). He had kicked a goal from a similar spot in the 1st quarter when everything was going Richmond's way.

The reason I bring this up is because by season's end Murph was doing what a captain should do. Albeit he was pretty crappy in the semi final. No one was hanging crap on Cotchin all year despite his form dropping.

I don't think we can forget that Murph was training once a week. For someone who had hardly had a preseason, that's bad.

If there were issues between Murph & Carrots & even Simmo due to the captaincy then I think they all need to get over it. Being vice captain is no disgrace. Even if they don't agree with the reasons Murph was made captain, I would think for the good of the team they would accept it and move on and try and play their best footy.

But, I personally am backing Murph in to have a great 2014. Full pre-season which he hasn't had in a while, settled into the captaincy and watch him rediscover his 2011 form.

The constants in all my best 22 attempts

Tuohy, Jamison,??????
Walker, Watson, Simpson
Thomas, McLean, Gibbs
Menzel, Waite, Garlett
??????, Henderson, Yarran
Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy
Robinson, ??????, ??????, ??????

5 spots up for grabs IMO due to aging Carrazzo/Scotland and the variables of which of the youngsters makes their mark.

Carrazzo, Scotland, Everitt, McInnes, Casboult, Warnock, Armfield, Docherty, Graham, Buckley, Curnow, Bell would all be great inclusions....the side's not too bad when you map it out!

The constants in all my best 22 attempts

Tuohy, Jamison,??????
Walker, Watson, Simpson
Thomas, McLean, Gibbs
Menzel, Waite, Garlett
??????, Henderson, Yarran
Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy
Robinson, ??????, ??????, ??????

I like it

here are my slight alterations

Tuohy, Jamison, Docherty
Everitt, Watson, Simpson
Thomas, McLean, Gibbs
Menzel, Waite, Garlett
Walker, Henderson, Yarran
Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy
Robinson, Curnow, Lucas, Scotland

Carrazzo in form makes us a far better team... but as far as we know he isn't in form.

Interesting that you left Warnock out (so did I)..... reckon MM loves knockers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely so.
The bigger bonus though may come from Murphy playing injury free.

Then just to round off the bonuses is for things to click with Yarran and Lucas and have them realize their potential. Doesn't need too much.

Don't you reckon somebody should put a Yarran highlight package together and show him how great he could be if he could be alittle bit consistent!
I really thought Mick would've got more out of him this year but I really think he went a bit the wrong way. Fingers crossed he drops the attitude and fires up in 2014, I really can't wait.

IMO we will have a 'horses for courses' approach to best 22 this season and I can see no reason for playing anyone who is under an injury cloud.

An injury free and confident Murphy could be the most important change to the team in 2014, would love to see him silence the doubters.

I hope so. Even someone like Captain Murphy...if he isn't fit dont play him like we did this year...lets be honest he had a lot of quiet games during the middle period of the season that were really ineffectual and he got smashed by taggers like Crowley...unless he starts really standing up against these guys even when injured theres no point playing him...playing him around HF could work in these situations.

my effort from that main board thread:

FB: Touhy Jamison Scotland
HB: Walker Watson Simpson
C: Thomas Judd Everitt
HF: Armfield (t) Waite Gibbs
FF: Garlett Henderson Menzel

R: Kruezer Curnow (t) Murphy (C)

INT: McLean, Robinson, Warnock
SUB: Yarran

(t) = tagger/role player

First row of depth (wanted to find a spot for them but has no room): Carazzo, Docherty, Lucas, McInnes, Casboult (if he can improve his kicking, really hope he can)

my effort from that main board thread:

FB: Touhy Jamison Scotland
HB: Walker Watson Simpson
C: Thomas Judd Everitt
HF: Armfield (t) Waite Gibbs
FF: Garlett Henderson Menzel

R: Kruezer Curnow (t) Murphy (C)

INT: McLean, Robinson, Warnock
SUB: Yarran

(t) = tagger/role player

First row of depth (wanted to find a spot for them but has no room): Carazzo, Docherty, Lucas, McInnes, Casboult (if he can improve his kicking, really hope he can)

That 22 is close to the 22 i would start with. Main differences being i would have Armfield and Scotland out, Docherty and Bell in.

I would also have a few positional differences, i want to see Gibbs starting on the ball, Walker at half forward, Henderson starting at CHF rather than FF and Warnock and Yarran both starting on the ground.

My bench would be McLean, Robinson, Curnow and Bell.

The captaincy may have held him back in the first half or so of the season, however, by season's end I saw Murph do a number of things that were very captainy :p

First highlight, then at 0:50, then again at 2:15….

Or you could just watch the whole thing, yet again...:)

simpson jamison everitt
touhy watson docherty
lucas gibbs bootsma
judd henderson thomas
menzel casboult walker
kruezer graham murphy

carrazzo bell mclean temay

time to play young lads. lots of older players on list have been given lots of chances and are okay but not really good enough for a premiership team. time for the new blues

We know it's all about mix and match and Mick will want flexibility across the board.
He does though like to have things right in defence first and then build up to the forward line.

Backline:
Simpson Jamison McInnes
Tuohy Watson Walker

Watson will be primed for the CHB post but he will need plenty of experience around him.
McInnes is still the best option for the third tall and would give plenty of chop out to Jamison and Watson allowing the sweepers to do their job.

Mids:
Warnock Curnow Murphy
Thomas McLean Gibbs

The Warnock/McLean combination is still our best for getting things rolling from the centre.
Of course there will be plenty of rotations but we may just start this way

Forwards:
Menzel Henderson Yarran
Garlett Waite Kreuzer

This looks like a pretty good starting lin-up and we know that Menzel can tackle.
We will though need Yarran to be able to lock the ball in the forward line the way Betts learned how to.

Interchange:
Judd, Everitt, Bell, Carrazzo

This gives us plenty of variety within the starting 22 and rounds the team off pretty well.

Next in line just depends on who goes out.
Does feel odd not to have Scotland, Robinson and Armfield in there though.
They'll all get their chances along with Docherty, Graham, Ellard, Lucas, Casboult and a couple of others also.

Absolutely so.Ligger bonus though may come from Murphy playing injury free.

Murph was a top 10 player and on the rise before last year. Injury free he could elevate to a top 5 player and all of a sudden we have hat star quality again. Injured he was probably not even a top 30 player.

I fully expect gibbs to become a monster this season. He is at the crossroads. Playing for a huge deal. He can become the superstar he should be this season. I'm tipping he averages 26+ disposals and polls 15-20 BL votes.

We have so many players about to enter their prime.
Cannot wait.

I think juddy will start to tailor his game to his body. He will play a lot less time in tbe middle, and more FP and wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back