B: Jetta OMac Frost
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Melksham Viney Stretch
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Kent Weideman Garlett
R: Gawn NJones Tyson
Int: Oliver Brayshaw Vince Salem

Notes:
- Harmes and Bugg are 23rd and 24th man and are right on the cusp of this list. The above assumes all 22 are fit and firing.
- Mahoney was on the record today putting Melksham in the 'back line' but I think he'll be part of our rotating brigade of outside run with Stretch, Hunt, Trac, Kent, Garlett and Vince. I think Hibberd will also slot into this rotation.
- I don't have vandenBerg as best 22 right now. I think his best role is as a pure mid and right now he's behind Gus/Clarry for that role. That said, I love what he brings and expect him to play significant game time.
- As of writing I don't believe in backup ruckmen and want Gawn rucking 90%+. If we score someone who can actually play as a forward my thinking may shift.

As an aside, I love that for the first time in YEARS I don't give a s**t who the hell we draft as the best 22 is virtually set in September the year prior.

Team copied with the Milkshake moved out of sight.

C: Salem Viney Stretch
Int: Oliver Brayshaw Vince Melksham

Ahhhh that's better.

If everyone is ready round one can one guy really carry all that whipping? I guess it would have to be a game by game thing for the rest of the guys to carry the remaining burden. Garlett having his odd sleepy game, tall backs disposing of the ball or Vince/Tyson/Viney forgetting they aren't Jack Watts when kicking will I guess fill some of the vitriol space.

If everyone is ready round one can one guy really carry all that whipping? I guess it would have to be a game by game thing for the rest of the guys to carry the remaining burden. Garlett having his odd sleepy game, tall backs disposing of the ball or Vince/Tyson/Viney forgetting they aren't Jack Watts when kicking will I guess fill some of the vitriol space.
What if I told you...we might actually be good?

Nah, too outlandish.

We might be good

So you're saying that one whipping boy is enough in a team that wins more than it loses? I can dig it.
I've also got my old man to whip as he can't stand the sight of Hunt for whatever reason so I end up in a verbal with him every time he touches the pill.

C: Vandenburg Viney Stretch

Melksham, Bugg, Harmes, ANB, Trengove and Hullett to be the main group pressing for a senior spot.

Dawes and Spencer to get a few runs based purely on lack of backup for Weideman and Gawn.

Speed of foot/run and carry still an important component to improve, even if we move the ball pretty quickly anyway.

Ok so my round 1 team

FB: Jetta Frost OMac
HB: Harmes TMac Hunt
C: Stretch NJones Salem
HF: Kennedy Hogan Watts
FF: Kent Weiderman Garlett
R: Gawn Tyson Viney
Bench: Oliver Patracca Brawshaw Vince

Emergency: Pedo ANB Bugg

Speculation time!

C: Melksham Viney Stretch

Notes:
- Harmes and Bugg are 23rd and 24th man and are right on the cusp of this list. The above assumes all 22 are fit and firing.
- Mahoney was on the record today putting Melksham in the 'back line' but I think he'll be part of our rotating brigade of outside run with Stretch, Hunt, Trac, Kent, Garlett and Vince. I think Hibberd will also slot into this rotation.
- I don't have vandenBerg as best 22 right now. I think his best role is as a pure mid and right now he's behind Gus/Clarry for that role. That said, I love what he brings and expect him to play significant game time.
- As of writing I don't believe in backup ruckmen and want Gawn rucking 90%+. If we score someone who can actually play as a forward my thinking may shift.

As an aside, I love that for the first time in YEARS I don't give a s**t who the hell we draft as the best 22 is virtually set in September the year prior.

Yep, Pedo for Weed and Salem for Milkshakes and I'm done.

Also, isn't it great that NJones can just be Jones now?!

Ok so my round 1 team

FB: Jetta Frost OMac
HB: Harmes TMac Hunt
C: Stretch NJones Salem
HF: Kennedy Hogan Watts
FF: Kent Weiderman Garlett
R: Gawn Tyson Viney
Bench: Oliver Patracca Brawshaw Vince

Emergency: Pedo ANB Bugg
No Hibberd or Milkshakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in 2013 it was easy to pick a side, just slap N jones and Howe in a team and ruffle through some failed names. In 2015 it got hard with the talent coming through, but now it's becoming easy again not for 2013 reasons but we are finding out who our best are

FB: Nev Jetta, Tom McDonald, Sam Frost
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Lumumba (improved but the wheels fell off, if he gets himself right and has a good preseason he will be there round 1)
C: Billy Stretch, Clayton Oliver, Christian Salem
HF: Dean Kent, Sam Weiderman, Bernie Vince
FF: Jack Watts, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett
R: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
Bench: Petracca, Harmes, Melksham, Brayshaw

Emergency: Pedo, Bugg, vandenBerg

C: Salem Viney N Jones
R: Gawn Oliver Tyson
Int: Brayshaw, Vince, Stretch, Fwd/back up ruck recruit (Pedo if we dont find a decent one)

I think Oliver, Tyson and Viney should be our core mids at the centre bounces with Petracca, Tyson and Oliver all rotating through the forward line.

N Jones, Hunt, Vince, Stretch and Salem streaming past form the wings of HBF for the hands off to deliver the ball forward!

FB: Nev Jetta, Tom McDonald, Sam Frost
HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Lumumba (improved but the wheels fell off, if he gets himself right and has a good preseason he will be there round 1)
C: Billy Stretch, Clayton Oliver, Christian Salem
HF: Dean Kent, Sam Weiderman, Bernie Vince
FF: Jack Watts, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett
R: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
Bench: Petracca, Harmes, Melksham, Brayshaw

Emergency: Pedo, Bugg, vandenBerg
Just curious - are you assuming the Hibberd trade falls through, or are you assuming we are bringing in Hibberd to play VFL?

Just curious - are you assuming the Hibberd trade falls through, or are you assuming we are bringing in Hibberd to play VFL?
I don't add them into my best 22 until the trades are officially done

I don't add them into my best 22 until the trades are officially done
Then you drop Lamumba right? (I'd just be more comfortable knowing that was the case)

(i sure hope we rookie matt jones)
I'd be devastated if we don't, unless we hire him in some kind of marketing/ sales capacity. I don't know if he's suited to this but he looks like the Big Boy Donut character so he's definitely qualified.

Bob's_big_boy_statue_burbank_2013.jpg

... yeah I think I'm the only person who sees the resemblance but anyway.

So you're saying that one whipping boy is enough in a team that wins more than it loses? I can dig it.
If these an old game from 16' that is on foxtell that im watching if its on, normally I whip Matt Jones. Without him i guesse i will have to whip Wagner.

Backs: Jetta, TMac, J Melksham
HB: OMac, Bernie, Hunt
Mids: Jonesy, Clarry, Salem
HF: Bugg, Watts, Kent
FF. Truck, Hogan, Gartlet
Onball: Gawn, Tyson, Viney
Bench: Weeds, Gus, Pedo, Frosty

Emergency: Harmes, AVB, BennKenn

lets see how I go playing Coach for a week?
Truck to swap w Clayton in the middle, Weeds to swap for Hogan at FF, even though i know we get Hulk up the ground, and leave wattsy one out himself.
Would love to see Truck one out in the square just because of his pure size and strength. Try Swapping Salem (because he has elite use and foot skills) out for Hunt in the backhalf. Give Hunt the free reigns on Melbourne midfield to run the break from the wing, give him the ball and run like hell! (even though he does that from the back 50m a-la JJ Johanison)

W Trenners, Harmes pushing fo a senior game. (TBH, cant see him getting back into the side, dunno why we kept Trenners. Thought we all bitched about him being too slow last time he got a game) I find it hard to split Strech and ANB. (often get there names wrong.)
I should also say i have always wanted Melbourne to put in a big lineup at the stoppages and Clearances like Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back