Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

I think some people are fixated with the Saints height up forward, but that isn't what beats us. What kills us is turnovers and poor team defence which enables them to kick hilariously easy goals. The Saints also aren't going to have Bruce/McCartin/Membrey/Riewoldt running around up forward all night, we will kill them on the rebound if they try that.

Agree. Height isnt the issue... Bruce is always going to take a couple of pack grabs per game and you cant do much about that.. its the easy goals we give them that kills us

This.

I think some people are fixated with the Saints height up forward, but that isn't what beats us. What kills us is turnovers and poor team defence which enables them to kick hilariously easy goals. The Saints also aren't going to have Bruce/McCartin/Membrey/Riewoldt running around up forward all night, we will kill them on the rebound if they try that.
Yep, it's turnovers and poor team defence absolutely. Poor defensive pressure by te forwards and mids more specifically.

This.

Absolutely agree with this. Turnovers have really killed us when we've played the Saints whether that's occurred at HB, in the middle of the ground or at HF. The talent of their tall forward line is impressive but like you said that alone isn't what beats us, it's those turnovers they cause all over the ground. When that happens they're usually able to bring the ball into their forward line quickly which allows their forwards the best opportunity to capatlise in an open forward line.

Absolutely agree with this. Turnovers have really killed us when we've played the Saints whether that's occurred at HB, in the middle of the ground or at HF. The talent of their tall forward line is impressive but like you said that alone isn't what beats us, it's those turnovers they cause all over the ground. When that happens they're usually able to bring the ball into their forward line quickly which allows their forwards the best opportunity to capatlise in an open forward line.

Yep. I'm confident we can kick a winning score if we control the midfield and minimize turnovers. In the small patches we've gotten on top of the Saints in previous years we've shown we can score quite heavily, but they have usually controlled 70-80% of each game.

Hope we play Pedo and drop Spencer. Pederson won't be as solid in the ruck as Spencer, but will do what we need him to do around the ground much better. We can rotate him back, forward and through the ruck which we will certainly need to do. Would prefer Frost to contend with St.Kilda's pace of course but he's not available so take what we can get.

B Lewis TMac OMac
HB Hunt Pederson Melksham
C Kent Jones Salem
HF Brayshaw Hogan Vince
F Garlett Watts Petracca
R Gawn Viney Oliver
INT Tyson Stretch Bugg Smith

I went with Smith so we could rotate our talls. With Riewoldt on the wing we will need talls in the middle throughout the game. Vince would start on him and try and get under his skin, but would put Hogan on him at stages and even Watts to compete with his pace.

While we move our tall forwards on him we put Pedo forward and Smith goes back.

Main thing is having pace and competitve beasts all over the ground. St.Kilda at their best play with manic pressure and move the ball so quickly they become impossible to stop, if you can limit their options and withstand their pressure then it goes a long way to winning the game

We were experimenting a bit with Hogan spending a bit of time in the midfield during the JLT. Could be an idea to rotate him onto Riewoldt
Hogan is a weapon , too reactionary to put him on roo, there is talk of Nathan brown lining up on hogan and that just worries me , could be another saints vs hogan game.

Don't know your team well but don't the mac brother have big tanks , would of thought one of them to run with roo and a damaging player quick player off half back on mccartin
Yeah, both are very good runners, TMac more so likely due to more preseasons. It's never seemed to work before tho, plus I'm guessing he'll spend a lot more time up the ground, and we wouldn't send TMac up with him given his importance to our interception game, which contrary to previous games against St Kilda, we do actually have.

sorry to intrude, cannot find your fantasy thread. not many see ANB in best 22. after last weeks huge game is he good to stay, what is his role likely to be?
thx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry to intrude, cannot find your fantasy thread. not many see ANB in best 22. after last weeks huge game is he good to stay, what is his role likely to be?
thx

We have a pretty long list of midfielders, so it'll be pretty difficult for him to rack up many minutes playing there (depending on injury and form, of course). Last season he spent a lot of time as a kind of defensive small forward, but it's a role that he isn't ideally suited to (he's definitely a midfielder) and is also a role with quite a bit of competition (Kent, Vandenberg, Kennedy and harmes all missed on Saturday, and all can play that role). I'd hold off on selecting ANB just yet, because - through no fault of his own - his spot in the team really isn't secure.

We have a pretty long list of midfielders, so it'll be pretty difficult for him to rack up many minutes playing there (depending on injury and form, of course). Last season he spent a lot of time as a kind of defensive small forward, but it's a role that he isn't ideally suited to (he's definitely a midfielder) and is also a role with quite a bit of competition (Kent, Vandenberg, Kennedy and harmes all missed on Saturday, and all can play that role). I'd hold off on selecting ANB just yet, because - through no fault of his own - his spot in the team really isn't secure.

cool, thx for the input JP2. needed it in Friday night scramble!

How do we all feel now?

For me, if everyone was fit this weekend:

FB: Jetta, Frost, Garland
HB: Hibberd, TcDonald, Hunt
C: Salem, Viney, Stretch
HF: Petracca, Watts, Pedersen
FF: Garlett, Hogan, Kent
R: Gawn, Jones, Oliver
IC: Brayshaw, Tyson, Lewis, vandenBerg

How do we all feel now?

For me, if everyone was fit this weekend:

FB: Jetta, Frost, Garland
HB: Hibberd, TcDonald, Hunt
C: Salem, Viney, Stretch
HF: Petracca, Watts, Pedersen
FF: Garlett, Hogan, Kent
R: Gawn, Jones, Oliver
IC: Brayshaw, Tyson, Lewis, vandenBerg
Still not sure if I have garland, Pederson or VDB in my best 22. 2011-2014 garland yes, but I honestly haven't liked garlands work (on field) for 2-2.5 years. Seems so low energy, no urgency, and sort of happy to halve a contest rather than win it, or satisfied with corralling the opponent to the boundary rather than going for a tackle. It's a shame because I really loved garland, for his attitude and his actual performances, during the neeld years. I don't know what happened to him under Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back