Best Captain of Modern Era?

Who Is The Best Captain of the Modern Era?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

menzel case

Debutant
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
To me, voss and hodge stand head and shoulders above anyone else in my time of watching football as the best 2 leaders. obviously there is a lot that goes on behind closed doors that we do not know anything about but as far as on field stuff we get to see including the way they would direct their team mates, organise play, stand up and lead from the front in big games and big moments and their shear toughness and team ethics to inspire their teammates i think these two stand out clearly.

imo daylight separates them from the next rung down of great leaders including kernahan, whoosha, kirk and carey (on-field). and my old man reckons hodge is the best he's seen since john nicholls...

but i cant seem to separate voss and hodge. both triple premiership players and after this year both will most likely be triple consecutive premiership captains. the only two in the modern era. hodge a two time norm smith medallist leading the way in the biggest game of the year and voss was robbed in 2002. at the moment, if i had to pick one i might have voss in front by a whisker but hodge closing in real fast.

I would have Voss in front as he was a beast, but if Hodge leads us to another flag and nails himself another Normie, then I'd be willing to change my vote.

Voss for mine. He just did everything when his team needed him.

3x premiership captain
Brownlow medalist
2x MVP
5x All Australian
5x b&f
4x AFLPA best captain award

Best captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood
Voss
Harley/Ling
Hodge
N. Riewoldt
Watson (bar last 2 yrs)
Mitchell

In that order, the rest were s**t. List is post 05 with the exception of Voss.

Voss then Hodge.

However, I may wake up tomorrow and decide it's the other way around because I don't want to commit to one or the other.

Hodge still going his legacy is not over.
Could finish 4 time maybe even 5 time premiership player and 4 times as Captain.
2 x Norm Smith means he stands up in big games as did Voss.

Was the Brisbane side better than the Hawks side?
As most people say it was which suggests Hodge maybe the better Captain.

I'll sit on the fence until Hodges career is over.

both fantastic captains and examples that the best leader is not necessarily the best player in the team.
Great players, but had better players around that benefited from their leadership.
In a similar way, guys like Nick Maxwell, Tom Harley, Chris Knights and Darren Glass were all good players, not at the same level as the 2 in the poll, but excellent captains.

Back