Cars & Transportation Best driving route from S/E Melbourne to Yarrawonga in peak hour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry if this seems a random question or if I am in the wrong thread, but I have a golf trip* in Yarrawonga to attend this weekend and it kicks off on Friday.

Normally I get the Friday off and with that comes a free lift from a mate on Friday morning, but
sadly I have to front up to work on Friday and drive up afterwards (4pm at the earliest, 5pm at the latest).

My question is what is the best way to Yarrawonga from the Mount Waverley/Glen Waverley area?

My northern suburbs mates tell me not to bother going through the northern suburbs at peak hour, some have suggested going through Yea but whether they are taking the piss is anyone's guess but unfortunately, although I can navigate my way around Melbourne, anywhere north of Doncaster Road and east of the Hume is not an area I frequent often.

Any suggestions please fell free :)

* lots of drinking with some golf thrown in

They're not taking the piss, you should go through Yea.

Go out the through Lilydale (Maroondah Hwy), onto the Melba Hwy and head up to Yea. You can cut across to the Hume although I'd probably just go up the Midland Hwy to Benalla and then cut through to Yarrawonga.

If you do go the Midland Hwy, watch your speed around Swanpool which is just before Benalla, notorious for police on the radar.

Go out the through Lilydale (Maroondah Hwy), onto the Melba Hwy and head up to Yea. You can cut across to the Hume although I'd probably just go up the Midland Hwy to Benalla and then cut through to Yarrawonga.

If you do go the Midland Hwy, watch your speed around Swanpool which is just before Benalla, notorious for police on the radar.

With these guys you never know :D

But seriously, thanks very much for the advice and the warning about Swanpool , much appreciated Rioli magic

Things may have changed, but the last time I travelled up to Yea and the surrounding area some of the roads weren't all that flash in terms of safety/quality (narrow, windy, potholes galore, you get the picture). Probably best to take the Hume.

With these guys you never know :D

But seriously, thanks very much for the advice and the warning about Swanpool , much appreciated Rioli magic

No problem mate.

Things may have changed, but the last time I travelled up to Yea and the surrounding area some of the roads weren't all that flash in terms of safety/quality (narrow, windy, potholes galore, you get the picture). Probably best to take the Hume.

I went through a few weeks ago, the roads are alright, a bit 'windy' in a few spots but I guess it depends what you prefer. The Hume is straight, full of trucks and boring as s**t, I'd prefer a more scenic route personally, the time difference is negligible either one.

I concur with this advice. Good mate of mine does it every time he drives down to Melbourne (to visit family in outer eastern 'burbs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back