Competitions Best ever Crows players - FINAL - A. McLeod vs M. Ricciuto - Mea Culpa for ruining our season with the delay :(

Who was the better player?

• Andrew McLeod

• Mark Ricciuto

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really tough because Fudd is my favourite Crows footballer and that quarter of football was just unbelievable and had me jumping around the room

But, Roos career is just exemplary for the club and gets him over the line.

We just didn't have Fudd long enough...plus we'd have nabbed the 93 flag if we had him

I love Roo and he was incredible, and I know it was 19 (!) years ago now but him getting suspended on the eve of the finals in 2005 was one of the stupidest things one of our players has ever done.

And it's not a stretch to say that it potentially cost us two more flags.

3rd/4th PLAYOFF - A.MODRA vs D.JARMAN New
Anthony Modra
118 games
440 goals
All-Australian 1993, 1997
Coleman medal 1997
Leading goalkicker 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
3rd B&F 1993

Vs

Darren Jarman
121 Games
264 Goals
All-Australian 1996
Premiership playerv1997, 1998
Leading goalkicker 1998, 1999, 2001
2nd B&F 1997
3rd B&F 1996

This is tough. Jarman slightly more ambidextrous and gifted. Modra with the better pack marking and consistency.
I think Jars wins out for me, due to his brilliance in the Grand Finals. Modra unlucky to have missed out in them due to his knee injury.

This is tough.

No it isn’t.

I’m going to put a few noses out of joint here but massive overrating of Tony Modra happens on this forum.

Don’t get me wrong. We all love Mods. He was an incredible player, one of the most exhilarating players you’ll ever watch live, one of the best full forwards in the history of the game.

Arguably the best full forward ever to come out of South Australia.

But he was the very definition of a one-dimensional player. He was unbelievable on the lead and could kick goals at will, and nobody took better speccies. He did all that as good as anyone, but he was a fish out of water when taken beyond the 50 metre arc.

That is not a knock on him, as most full forwards of that era had the same limitations.

But Modra was not critical to any major on-field success the Crows had.

Darren Jarman on the other hand…

Last edited:
No it isn’t.

I’m going to put a few noses out of joint here but massive overrating of Tony Modra happens on this forum.

Don’t get me wrong. We all love Mods. He was an incredible player, one of the most exhilarating players you’ll ever watch live, one of the best full forwards in the history of the game.

Arguably the best full forward ever to come out of South Australia.

But he was the very definition of a one-dimensional player. He was unbelievable on the lead and could kick goals at will, and nobody took better speccies. He did all that as good as anyone, but he was a fish out of water when taken beyond the 50 metre arc.

That is not a knock on him, as most full forwards of that era had the same limitations.

But Modra was not critical to any major on-field success the Crows had.

Darren Jarman on the other hand…
Full forwards of that era rarely left the 50. They played out of the goal square and didnt have to venture far up the ground. Strange call.

The other part is fair. Had one bag of 6 in finals (the prelim vs Essendon). Didn’t fire in the rest. Who knows though, was hobbled late in 97, dropped in 98. Poor finals was the knock on DJ too. Until it wasn’t.

Full forwards of that era rarely left the 50. They played out of the goal square and didnt have to venture far up the ground. Strange call.

Isn’t that what I said…

The other part is fair. Had one bag of 6 in finals (the prelim vs Essendon). Didn’t fire in the rest. Who knows though, was hobbled late in 97, dropped in 98. Poor finals was the knock on DJ too. Until it wasn’t.

Mods was a champion. No two ways about it.

But DJ was magnitudes better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t that what I said…
It’s just such a weird critique.

Who cares if he couldn’t play up the ground. He didn’t have to. I’d argue that he so very rarely left the 50 that you can’t make that call anyway.

It’s like saying you know that Ben hart was a champion defender but he sucked as a forward.

Mods Finals - 1993 2 Goals, 2 Goals, 6 Goals
- 1997 3 Goals, 0 goals, 0 Goals

So pretty bad.

Jars did win us two premierships. If Mods plays in 1997 does he do a Shane Ellen and Kick 5. I dont thibk he does as the whole forward line changes. St Kilds tried to play Shanahan on Jarman when he went one out which worked in our favor. if Mods played this doesnt happen. Maybe Mods injury in 1997 helped us win the flag.

Mods Finals - 1993 2 Goals, 2 Goals, 6 Goals
- 1997 3 Goals, 0 goals, 0 Goals

So pretty bad.

Jars did win us two premierships. If Mods plays in 1997 does he do a Shane Ellen and Kick 5. I dont thibk he does as the whole forward line changes. St Kilds tried to play Shanahan on Jarman when he went one out which worked in our favor. if Mods played this doesnt happen. Maybe Mods injury in 1997 helped us win the flag.
Quite possibly.

We'll never know.

It’s just such a weird critique.

Who cares if he couldn’t play up the ground. He didn’t have to. I’d argue that he so very rarely left the 50 that you can’t make that call anyway.

It’s like saying you know that Ben hart was a champion defender but he sucked as a forward.

Ben Hart sucked as a wingman. They tried to make into a wing under Robert Shaw I think it was

Ben Hart sucked as a wingman. They tried to make into a wing under Robert Shaw I think it was
I thought Shaw tried to play him forward but could be wrong. He kicked 11 goals in 95 which was a quarter of his career tally.

In that game vs hawthorn in the wet (the McLeod dribbler) he definitely played forward. Watched it recently.

the McLeod dribbler

Oh yeah, this guy was something else... you instantly knew he'd be something extremely special hey. What I wouldn't give for a best-player-ever type amongst our current youngsters. A couple with potential but McLeod was on another level!

Oh yeah, this guy was something else... you instantly knew he'd be something extremely special hey. What I wouldn't give for a best-player-ever type amongst our current youngsters. A couple with potential but McLeod was on another level!

McLeod wasn’t just anyone, he was the best player in the country back in 1994 when we got him. He was a Harley Reid level prospect.

Took him a little time to establish himself but he was a prospect cut from the very finest silk.

Back