Best/favourite 10 matches you have seen (involving your club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez this is tough... Only 10 games...

1. Premil Final - Port V St Kilda... the game that finally got us to play on the big stage in the AFL, and what a game it was!

2. GF - Port V Brisbane... 1st game on the big stage in the AFL, and what a win it was

3. Showdown 1 - Port v Adel... 1st opportunity to smash the corporation that has tried to kill us... and we achieved that.

4. Showdown 35 - Port V Adel... well the final 5 minutes was intense and a great way to send off the crows from West Lakes.

5. Rnd 1, 97 - Port V Coll... yep we lost, but first game in the AFL after a long time coming

6. Rnd 20, 2004 - Port V Dogs... 1st game I got to see Port play in the flesh and was a great win by the boys, and got to celebrate with them afterwards.

7. Rnd 21, 2007 - Port V Geelong... hard fought game all day, win assured us top 2 spot.

8. QF, 2007 - Port V WCE... watch a match, what a game... chocker tag was removed that night... well at least for a cpl weeks it was

9. EF, 2013 - Port V Coll... Kicking them out of the finals after all of eddies complaining and the hate towards them was nice :)

10. Rnd 2, 2014 - Port V Adel... Winning the 1st showdown at AO... something history will remind us of always!

Qualifying final, 2000 v North: the only time I've got to run onto the ground - Lloyd with 7 to pass his 100th for the season.
Round 16, 2001 v North: the comeback.
Round 5, 2003 v Collingwood: first Anzac Day game I went to. Amazing experience and I saw Hird kick 5 and rack up 30-odd disposals.
Round 3, 2004 v West Coast: James Hird.
Round 5, 2009 v Collingwood: David Zaharakis and Paddy Ryder.
Round 22, 2009 v Hawthorn: Lloyd hit, brawl, comeback to make finals.
Round 15, 2011 v Geelong: I was expecting us to lose by 100+. Huge upset despite Stevie J conjuring goals out of nowhere in the final minutes.
Round 11, 2012 v Sydney: the only loss I'll include. This match was insane. Down by 47 points at three quarter time, massive comeback led by Jobe and Myers as sub, only for Dempsey to play on at the siren and we fall four points short. Heartbreaking.
Round 14, 2013 v West Coast: Jobe earns three votes in spite of the boos while Carlisle swings forward with great success - that clutch goal from 50 in the pocket. Brilliant.
Round 22, 2013 v Carlton: in horrendous form with nothing to play for but we still managed to come back against Malthouse for the second time that season. Zaharakis delivers in the clutch again.

There wasn't much to like from 2005 to 2008. Hirdy's final game was so close to being a classic. Footscray 2003, St Kilda 2009, Carlton 2012, Fremantle 2013, Carlton 2014 came close to making the cut.

Did worst last night. These 10 are in ascending order:

10 1995 Grand Final Carlton 21.15 def Geelong 11.14
Workmanlike performance.Game over by half time.
9 2000 Round 18 Carlton 28.12 def Collingwood 10.9
11 goal third quarter. Besides that, only good for revenge for 1977
8 1999 Prelim Final Carlton 16.8 def Essendon 14.19
Would've been higher but, in reality, was shown up for what it really meant seven days later.
7 2001 Round 3 Carlton 14.9 def Essendon 11.10
Great come from behind win with a weakened team against reigning champs.Only re-inforced my belief that we might have been able to jag it in 2000.
6 1987 Grand Final Carlton 15.14 def Hawthorn 9.17
Hey, where's that Hawthorn supporting mate that paid me out last year ?
5 1982 Round 10 Carlton 18.16 def Richmond 16.11
Tough, see-sawing game where neither side budged an inch.Epic
4 1984 Round 1 Carlton 31.13 def North 9.8
Revenge for previous year. First premiership game for Carlton since I turned 18. Oh, the hangover
3 1982 Grand Final Carlton 14.19 def Richmond 12.13
3 goals in first two minutes. Final margin.....
2 1979 Grand Final Carlton 11.16 def Collingwood 11.11
Wayne Harmes, lowest score for the year, Jezza being carried on after the game to celebrate.1st premiership for me as a supporter.
My favourite match as a Carlton supporter
Round 7 1982 Carlton 15.20
def Geelong 7.7
Prior to the telecast, Lou Richards and Peter Landy were saying how Geelong would'nt get within ten goals of the home side.
Carlton seemed intent on frittering every chance they had in front of goal.Yet, no matter how inaccurate they were, Geelong could not get to the front. Carlton constantly held Geelong a few points at bay, kick a bucketload of behinds, then Geelong would kick a goal.
Halftime would show that Carlton, on 4.14, were hanging on, even though Geelong were playing out of their skins.
Late in the third quarter, Carlton led 5.17 to 6.6. 5 meagre points and Carlton's renowned third quarter was'nt working.
Geelong kicked a goal. For the first time today, they led, by 1 point.Geelong fans on TV went off and Carlton fans hung their heads.
Channel 7 were supposed to go to an ad. break. But did'nt.Lou Richards was'nt aware and said: "Geelong are going to win this" to which Peter Landy replied: "Yep.By a long way too."
Falling behind for the first time all day spurred Carlton into action. Within three minutes, by three quarter time, Carlton had kicked 3 goals, to have a handy 17 point lead.
7.3 to 0.1 last quarter.
A ten goal win.Just like the experts said.
I have tried every possible avenue to get a copy of this game.The only person I have'nt approached is David Parkin, only because I would'nt have a clue how to get in touch with him. If there's anybody who knows how I could get to re-live this game, please PM me.I'd be eternally grateful.

1993 Prelim Final - unbelievable! Thompson, Bewick & Wanganeen were huge! The roar after Mercuri's goal in the 3rd qtr was immense!
1984 GF - A long time coming & the beginning of an era! What starts these players became.
2004 v WCE - Yep the Hird game - what a see-sawing match. Can't believe it got that close after Essendon dominated the first qtr.
2009 ANZAC v Pies - Yep, Zaharakis! We were gone! Ryder was awesome in this match!
2003 ANZAC v Pies - The James Hird show. Kicked 5 & was unstoppable!
2013 v Freo - At Patterson's. Slow, slow start but the second half was unbelievable. Prob got away with it after some costly Freo misses.
1997 v Adealaide - We beat the eventual premiers in Harv's last game. Lloyd, Heffernan, Wallis were great.
1991 v Carlton at Waverly - TD's last game. A real struggle all day - Glascott turned the ball over late instead of having a shot.
2000 v North in QF - This was as close to football perfection as you're going to see! Lloyd's 100th - Joe Misiti with 4 goals & 30 odd.
1999 v North - The Wayne Carey vs Matty Lloyd shoot-out. This was perfection from two blokes.

Could keep going but that will do:
Some notable losses:
2014 v Hawks - great second half - we had 'em but you must play every minute to beat the Hawks.
1991 or 1992 vs WCE at Windy Hill - injured & down to 16 men we nearly got over the all conquering Eagles.
1993 v Carlton - The first night final. What a spectacle. Carlton couldn't have played much better & we nearly got em with a few key men out.

1. 2009 Saints v Geelong - The best game of footy I have seen. Hard, tight contest, Gardiner's mark had me leaping off the couch. The best game he played for the club by far.....

2. 2008 Saints v Hawthorn - My favourite come-from-behind win. At half time I thought it was lost..... Blake moved into the ruck and changed everything. Tackling became fierce, more run, everything clicked. Clint Jones running down Buddy was the highlight.

Not sure about 10, but these 2 were classics, also helps that I was at the ground for both.

Have done worst ... haven't done best it seems
1. 1997 GF - yes, we may have been fortunate to be there but what a win against the odds
2. 1998 GF - stood in the same place as 1997, R.Harvey won the Brownlow again that week, another great win against an overwhelming favourite and McLeod won the Norm Smith again
3. Round 1 1991 v Hawthorn, Football Park - no-one gave us much chance in this game either but what a buzz
4. Round 8 1993 vs North, Football Park - a pulsating game all round against the flying Roos, then Modra took THAT mark to kick the winning goal. Final score 123-121 - hard to imagine that scoreline ATM.
5. Round 11 2009 v Ess at Etihad - the most accurate kicking game ever, 21.4 to 18.6, neither side could miss. Always good to beat the Bombers away.
6. 2nd Semi 2002 v Melb at the G - an extraordinary game, remember thinking we were gone a couple of times, but got up to win 130-118.
7. Round 3 2008 v Port - a brutal, tough game, very very satisfying 6-point win against the Power.
8. Round 6 2012 at the SCG - We win by 5 points against the highly fancied Swans. Brent Reilly played his best ever game. Paul Roos' meltdown was very satisfying.
9. 1993 EF v Hawthorn - weren't supposed to win this one against the seasoned Hawks, but great to get the finals monkey off the back
10. Round 7 2000 v Port - Came from about 40 points down to get up by 7, Ricciuto played one of his best games

1. 2011 Grand Final Collingwoo...yeah, nah
2. 2007 Grand Final Cat Attack
3. 2009 Grand Final Redemption
4. 2007 Qualifying Final v North Culled the Roos and no premature celebrations after
5. 2011 Qualifying Final v Haw An all too rare finals win over the old enemy
6. 2011 Prelim Final v West Coast Nice to get one back on those bastards
7. Forget which one but the game against the Hawks where we had two on the bench injured and came back from four goals down to win
8. v Bulldogs at Cat Park in 2008 Two gun sides that year but we smashed the Dogs and seemed to have an edge over them after that
9. v West Coast in 1992 Gazza puts on a clinic and we beat the Weagles in Perth
10. v Adelaide Football Park 2007 finally beating the Crows in Adelaide As a Croweater I've had to sit through too many Cat losses at that dump

Did worst last night. These 10 are in ascending order:

10 1995 Grand Final Carlton 21.15 def Geelong 11.14
Workmanlike performance.Game over by half time.

3 1982 Grand Final Carlton 14.19 def Richmond 12.13
3 goals in first two minutes. Final margin.....

That 82 Granny was an absolute Cracker. Toughness, Skills, Goals, Momentum swings, brilliant. That 95 Granny was the worst I have ever felt after a Grand Final and Ablett knows we have lost a few. You guys had a tough Prelim against the Roos and we waltzed to victory over the Tigers who seemed happy to get that far. History shows what the better preparation for a big game is.

That 82 Granny was an absolute Cracker. Toughness, Skills, Goals, Momentum swings, brilliant. That 95 Granny was the worst I have ever felt after a Grand Final and Ablett knows we have lost a few. You guys had a tough Prelim against the Roos and we waltzed to victory over the Tigers who seemed happy to get that far. History shows what the better preparation for a big game is.
If I had my time over, I should really replace the '95 GF with the '95 PF.North were incredibly hard and aggressive (not illegally so) early in that game. They furiously took it right up to us.Even when we kicked away before half time, they would'nt let go.To absorb all that pressure and then kick away when it mattered was a great effort.
After the GF, I watched the replay 2 or 3 times that night while having a few beers and enjoying a cigar.I thought life was pretty good that night. Travelled to Sydney a few days later and bought a stack of merchandise. 4 weeks after the game, we had to bury my mum.I realised then, that while it's great to win, it's not the be-all and end-all.
I never followed Carlton with the same level of "fanaticism" since.
Cheers for your feedback. I might go and watch the '82GF again......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back