Best forwardline duos

Remove this Banner Ad

Your knock on Franklin is that he needs to achieve the impossible! No one has ever achieved the feat that you demand from him. I too would love to see Franklin kicking tons but it just won't happen while he is roaming upfield.

he kicked 80 last year playing solely full forward and had he started the season as he did by the end of the year, he could have got very close to a century.

Basically, your points are well taken and I respect your opinion but I just feel we are about to see a new wave of brilliant forwards, forwards who will be challenging that century mark which we've not seen for 7 long years.

he kicked 80 last year playing solely full forward

No, he really didn't play as a full forward last year. This is like banging my head against a wall. He hand-passed it 100 times last year, as he has every year for the last 6 years. That is something that Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Lloyd, Modra, Jack Riewoldt and Fevola never did once in their entire careers. It is something that Richardson and Hall did in one season only. You know who does handball that much? CENTRE HALF FORWARDS. Carey (7 times), Nick Riewoldt (6 times), Jono Brown (6 times).

Basically, your points are well taken and I respect your opinion but I just feel we are about to see a new wave of brilliant forwards, forwards who will be challenging that century mark which we've not seen for 7 long years.

I hope so, but I doubt it. The very best these days also tend to be very mobile and athletic (think Cameron/Roughead) so they don't get left in the goal square any more. If I were running a club in modern football and had some athletic and talented kid at my disposal, I'd be aiming to turn them into a gun centre half forward. That's how you win premierships.

Gotta be Vic State of Origin with Lockett & Dunstall.
Don't know if Ablett played in that game, but if he did, WOW!

How about John Hendrie with either hudson or moncrieff?
Add Hendrie to Hudson and Matthews and I think it is the only time 3 players from the one team have kicked over 50 goals each in the one season......and they only played one full season together. The only other time they played in the same match was on that fateful April Fools Day 1972. Hawthorn raised the 71 flag that day. Hudson booted 8 prior to half time then did his knee. Matthews kicked 2 that day , Hendrie (his first game) kicked 1. They would have to be the most successful goalscoring treble in AFL/VFL history.

I didn't realize Moncrieff was that productive.
Seriously, he is very rarely spoken about in the media. 629 goals from just 224 games is quite an average.
Also spent the 77 season in the backline to allow Hudson to play forward. When he played forward he averaged over 3 goals a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also spent the 77 season in the backline to allow Hudson to play forward. When he played forward he averaged over 3 goals a game
Yeh he probably didn't get his due credit, Under great pressure from David Dench he kicked the first 2 goals in (I think the 78 grand final) and set the Hawks up for victory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back