Best Setup to Video Aussie Rules Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi All - bit of an obscure request but I'd love to hear any suggestions, experiences, resources, tips or tricks that others may have when it comes to taking decent video footage of amateur/junior footy matches.

Any topics welcome but in particular:
  • Types of camera - video camera, DSLR camera, GoPro, smart phone
  • Other accessories - tripods, motion sensor/robot cameraman gadgets, special Zoom lenses, etc.
  • Camera setup and tips - manned vs unmanned, ground level vs at height, any 'how-tos', etc.
  • Software tools - editing, assembling highlights, adding scoreboard, streaming tools, etc.
Love to hear what the BF crowd can share.

TIA, Bob

Hi All - bit of an obscure request but I'd love to hear any suggestions, experiences, resources, tips or tricks that others may have when it comes to taking decent video footage of amateur/junior footy matches.

Any topics welcome but in particular:
  • Types of camera - video camera, DSLR camera, GoPro, smart phone
  • Other accessories - tripods, motion sensor/robot cameraman gadgets, special Zoom lenses, etc.
  • Camera setup and tips - manned vs unmanned, ground level vs at height, any 'how-tos', etc.
  • Software tools - editing, assembling highlights, adding scoreboard, streaming tools, etc.
Love to hear what the BF crowd can share.

TIA, Bob
I use a SONY HDR-Cx405 camcorder. Costs about $330 from JB HIFI. I then edit using Cyberlink Powerdirector. If you want to see my results go to my YouTube channel - TIGER TV AFL.

https://www.youtube.com/@tigertvafl1351/videos

I've dabbled with a mix of DSLR and GoPros for the variety they offer—DSLRs for those clear, zoomed-in shots and GoPros for wide, dynamic angles. Definitely get yourself a sturdy tripod. It's a game-changer, especially with a fluid head for smooth panning. As for editing, there's this great free video maker without watermark which is super user-friendly and perfect for compiling those highlight reels or adding scoreboards without leaving a watermark. This way, you get clean, professional-looking videos without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back