Injury Billie Smedts - leg fracture

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn right I would have. He plays for Geelong, and being fit for that side is the priority. If having surgery as soon as last season surgery meant him not missing games this year, then they should have done it. Why would anyone think that going over to Ireland to get flogged would be as important as his commitments to the club that is actually paying him to play?
Well, i reckon a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
i.e. He'll receive other offers.

Income isn't everything.

Last edited:

Sheringham, Shredder, Thurlow...

Ignoring Mots& Bundy...

Gee! that Sherringham can feel a bit aggrieved at the moment I'd reckon, hope he doesn't turn out to be another Hawk like Simpkin, he had 30 possessions a fortnight ago. Don't know what he did last week, but Sherringham could end up the same way if he's not played.

Gee! that Sherringham can feel a bit aggrieved at the moment I'd reckon, hope he doesn't turn out to be another Hawk like Simpkin, he had 30 possessions a fortnight ago. Don't know what he did last week, but Sherringham could end up the same way if he's not played.
It's funny the way Sheringham is viewed at the moment. This isn't having a go at you by the way but a month ago people were complaining and questioning why he was on the list and especially ahead of an Eardley.
Now we all agree that he's stiff not to be in the 1s

Just shows despite what we all think the MC and list management area generally know best

And to blow my own trumpet I always liked Teddy, solid in and under player, smart footballer who can kick off either foot... you can do a hell of a lot worse than have him as a rookie

And to blow my own trumpet I always liked Teddy, solid in and under player, smart footballer who can kick off either foot... you can do a hell of a lot worse than have him as a rookie

Never called for his head and the same for Simpkin, both hard nuts imo, my only bitch has always been the softness and poor numbers of Varcoe.
Hopefully one day the MC will right the wrongs.

Never called for his head and the same for Simpkin, both hard nuts imo, my only bitch has always been the softness and poor numbers of Varcoe.
As I said... I wasn't having a go at you

Just noticed all your tags,.....sorry about that! But I think it's high time guys like Sherringham got games at his expense.
I'm not a massive Varcoe fan by any stretch, I just enjoy being part of something that supports the club and a player. Could be Hartman for all I care

Notthisshitagain.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I am in the front seat of the Sheringham bandwagon. Very much a 'no frills' type, but I reckon he has a fair bit to offer and would love to see him get a decent run at it in the seniors.

Being a rookie Sheringham has to absolutely smash the door down or he will be gone.

I think some people need to look at the positives rather than always criticising the club. Should they have been onto the injuries earlier? Maybe but we'd have some of the best medicos going around so if they didn't pick it up it's hard to know who would've.

But on the bright side we're 4-0. Even more on the bright side, we're 4-0 while guys like GHS, Burbury, McCarthy, Blicavs, etc are getting games which probably wouldn't be happening if Motlop, Christensen and Smedts were there. We're winning games and right now the injuries to proven players like Motlop and Christensen is just allowing us to get games into guys who need the experience. Sure it'd be nice for Smedts and Kersten to be fit and being exposed to AFL but their time will come.

Hopefully by finals time we'll have Motlop and Christensen fit, fresh and firing. But we'll also have an extra few players who have shown something at AFL level due to getting this chance which should put us in a much better position long-term.

But on the bright side we're 4-0. Even more on the bright side, we're 4-0 while guys like GHS, Burbury, McCarthy, Blicavs, etc are getting games which probably wouldn't be happening if Motlop, Christensen and Smedts were there. We're winning games and right now the injuries to proven players like Motlop and Christensen is just allowing us to get games into guys who need the experience. Sure it'd be nice for Smedts and Kersten to be fit and being exposed to AFL but their time will come.

Hopefully by finals time we'll have Motlop and Christensen fit, fresh and firing. But we'll also have an extra few players who have shown something at AFL level due to getting this chance which should put us in a much better position long-term.

Agree except for GHS. He should have been in the team last year no matter who's fit and he absolutely should be now. Only difference he's finally getting a chance to underline that - which he's doing.

Agree except for GHS. He should have been in the team last year no matter who's fit and he absolutely should be now. Only difference he's finally getting a chance to underline that - which he's doing.

Now absolutely he should be in the team. But even with the injuries he didn't play round 1 so there's every chance he wouldn't have got these opportunities if Motlop, Christensen and Smedts weren't fit. It's a great result for us since he's showing he's an AFL standard player who still has improvement and has an ability to hit the scoreboard in a way most didn't expect.

Damn right I would have. He plays for Geelong, and being fit for that side is the priority. If having surgery as soon as last season surgery meant him not missing games this year, then they should have done it. Why would anyone think that going over to Ireland to get flogged would be as important as his commitments to the club that is actually paying him to play?

I don't think that's the approach Geelong takes with it's workers. There is a human resource strategy out there which works under the assumption, that if you treat your workers extremely well and keep them very happy, they will give you better long term results and loyalty. Walt Disney uses this approach, I know because I am doing a human resource intern here right now until August, and I'm pretty sure from what I can tell the Geelong football club used it.

It's good for two reasons, 1- it means higher commitment and loyalty , 2- people are often willing to accept a little less money to work in a place they are very happy.

Telling motlop he can't play in an Indigenous rep game that he may well have been very excited for, isn't the sort of way Geelong treats it's players. We have kept a triple premiership team together for well under it's market value, because of how happy they all are being here at Geelong. Let's keep it that way going forward, if the game was that important to him, then let him do it every year

I don't think that's the approach Geelong takes with it's workers. There is a human resource strategy out there which works under the assumption, that if you treat your workers extremely well and keep them very happy, they will give you better long term results and loyalty. Walt Disney uses this approach, I know because I am doing a human resource intern here right now until August, and I'm pretty sure from what I can tell the Geelong football club used it.

It's good for two reasons, 1- it means higher commitment and loyalty , 2- people are often willing to accept a little less money to work in a place they are very happy.

Telling motlop he can't play in an Indigenous rep game that he may well have been very excited for, isn't the sort of way Geelong treats it's players. We have kept a triple premiership team together for well under it's market value, because of how happy they all are being here at Geelong. Let's keep it that way going forward, if the game was that important to him, then let him do it every year

Problem is if your matchwinners get injured playing meaningless games (which it absolutely is), then we won't be winning any premierships.

Problem is if your matchwinners get injured playing meaningless games (which it absolutely is), then we won't be winning any premierships.

It couldn't have been that bad if he played the entire year with it and was in the AA squad. Sounds like it was just irritating and causing aches rather than inhibiting him. They just decided enough was enough and decided on surgery with a long term view. To this point in time, regardless of whether we win or lose today, I don't see motlop being in or out as having a big effect, we are 4-0 atm and looking at another top four finish. It's the second half of the season we need him firing for, when things begin to heat up

Some people here are still asking questions about us because of our opposition. Collingwood are a quality side make no mistake about it, that match at the MCG was a finals like game, high pressure and intensity. That will be one of the toughest games we have for the season, it was really impressive how we handled it and took control, showed real class

It's funny the way Sheringham is viewed at the moment. This isn't having a go at you by the way but a month ago people were complaining and questioning why he was on the list and especially ahead of an Eardley.
Now we all agree that he's stiff not to be in the 1s

Just shows despite what we all think the MC and list management area generally know best
just because you cant pick em dont drag the rest of us down with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back