Injury Billie Smedts - leg fracture

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying the right things.
I get the feeling with Billy that he's not a "I can't be bothered, I'll do want I want" type. Perhaps just a bit ignorant of the level of intensity, urgency, hunger required. (Heck, even Gaz Junior needed help in that area). He probably has to overcome his natural personality type a bit and be careful he's not too laid back, because your career can slip by very quickly if you coast for too long.
I know he got up to trouble with Caddy (!), but Josh would still be a good example of doing everything you can, fighting back into the team, and playing with intensity. Don't think Selwood will let him waste his talent without a fight either.
With Lang, Jansen, and JK getting praise from within the club, it will be interesting how having a younger group pressing from behind could affect Billie. The sense of the new wave ready to jump in line if he doesn't step up. Pity he got injured when he did. Hopefully he can build up his fitness quickly.
Hope to see a big step from Billie this year. Another talented youngster cementing his place in the team along side Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, and Murdoch would make me very happy.

Interesting that Billie says he didn't have an x-ray on the leg til 2-3wks after the injury.
because they thought it was bone-bruising, which wouldn't show up on an x-ray. They probably ended up x-raying it because it wasn't getting better in the time frame they expected.

because they thought it was bone-bruising, which wouldn't show up on an x-ray. They probably ended up x-raying it because it wasn't getting better in the time frame they expected.

Just thought it strange the club didn't send him for a precautionary x-ray to rule out the possibility of a fracture.
Nothing against Billie,he was just following the medical advice provided.

Just thought it strange the club didn't send him for a precautionary x-ray to rule out the possibility of a fracture.
Nothing against Billie,he was just following the medical advice provided.
He was still walking around, albiet with some pain. It's not like he had a compound fracture with bone sticking out of his leg, and they thought, "* it, it's only bone bruising." The club has qualified physio's and Doctor's making these decisions, so there's nothing funny in it all. If you go to a GP with a sore leg, but you're still walking on it OK. He doesn't send you for an x-ray does he. He tries some other treatment (pain killers & physio), and if that fails then he may decide to send you for an x-ray or an ultrasound to see if there's something more to it. It's all about clinical presentation.

Last edited:
Saying the right things.
I get the feeling with Billy that he's not a "I can't be bothered, I'll do want I want" type. Perhaps just a bit ignorant of the level of intensity, urgency, hunger required. (Heck, even Gaz Junior needed help in that area). He probably has to overcome his natural personality type a bit and be careful he's not too laid back, because your career can slip by very quickly if you coast for too long.
I know he got up to trouble with Caddy (!), but Josh would still be a good example of doing everything you can, fighting back into the team, and playing with intensity. Don't think Selwood will let him waste his talent without a fight either.
With Lang, Jansen, and JK getting praise from within the club, it will be interesting how having a younger group pressing from behind could affect Billie. The sense of the new wave ready to jump in line if he doesn't step up. Pity he got injured when he did. Hopefully he can build up his fitness quickly.
Hope to see a big step from Billie this year. Another talented youngster cementing his place in the team along side Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, and Murdoch would make me very happy.

Frosty , its an area that we probably don't understand as well we think we do.

In this era of the U18's being almost professional in approach , a lot of the kids that come in feel well and truly ready. They feel entitled. Rather than being apprehensive they are very expectant and no longer feel its right to wait seasons to come to the level. I do wonder if thats part of the problem when very talented kids go to the poorer clubs. They quickly earn a spot on their obvious talent but have had to reach a level of dedication to do it. Look at guys like Polac , it must drive Brisbane crazy to see him play at Port. Yet when he turned up there he very quickly had a bit of straight talk to tell him plain that what he thought was enough was well short. We see the results now. GWS have a truck load of talent that any club would love to have , yet they have big issues. They are not anywhere near GC in their 3rd year.

Conversely , talent coming into a system with mature quality around them , that learn from the best (if they are smart enough to learn). Duncan was talking about it the other day, how our guys what our club to be successful in the future and pass the right way etc. In general I think its why you can get kids from 30's etc and they become quality.

Of course its not all thru an under appreciation of what's required , or a genY approach. Hawkins at Geelong was a bit different as he basically was a non U18 type kid , but still he was used to success by doing what he wanted. He was still very relaxed about how much he should have to work. He has said several times that he looks back at his first couple of years as wasteful.

Billie is one of the most talented kids we have drafted to the club. That he sounds like he is maturing is very positive. He should be in our side. He should be performing well enough that someone is pushed out. Obviously he has had injury issues. Lets hope he stays fit and more than shows why we drafted him now as he starts to reach his early 20's

Last edited:
Would have thought that with all the medical advice and technology available at footy clubs that Smedts would have had an x-ray or a scan just to rule out. Conservative medicine , which is the best way of treating, would have eliminated before concluding. There are too many instances of 'oh we didn't realise it was that bad' going way back to Barry Stoneham.

Frosty , its an area that we probably don't understand as well we think we do.

In this era of the U18's being almost professional in approach , a lot of the kids that come in feel well and truly ready. They feel entitled. Rather than being apprehensive they are very expectant and no longer feel its right to wait seasons to come to the level. I do wonder if thats part of the problem when very talented kids go to the poorer clubs. They quickly earn a spot on their obvious talent but have had to reach a level of dedication to do it. Look at guys like Polac , it must drive Brisbane crazy to see him play at Port. Yet when he turned up there he very quickly had a bit of straight talk to tell him plain that what he thought was enough was well short. We see the results now. GWS have a truck load of talent that any club would love to have , yet they have big issues. They are not anywhere near GC in their 3rd year.

Conversely , talent coming into a system with mature quality around them , that learn from the best (if they are smart enough to learn). Duncan was talking about it the other day, how our guys what our club to be successful in the future and pass the right way etc. In general I think its why you can get kids from 30's etc and they become quality.

Of course its not all thru an under appreciation of what's required , or a genY approach. Hawkins at Geelong was a bit different as he basically was a non U18 type kid , but still he was used to success by doing what he wanted. He was still very relaxed about how much he should have to work. He has said several times that he looks back at his first couple of years as wasteful.

Billie is one of the most talented kids we have drafted to the club. That he sounds like he is maturing is very positive. He should be in our side. He should be performing well enough that someone is pushed out. Obviously he has has injury issues. Lets hope he stays fit and more than shows why we drafted him now as he starts to reach his early 20's

Moons in that Sheehan interview said a similar thing. That he saw Hawkins come to the club with more talent and ability than Moons had in his right toe and saw him just not getting it together. It was then that Moons got him under his wing and started him off in the right direction.

That culminated in the '11 GF halftime instructions he gave Hawk…. and we all saw how that worked out…

GO Catters

Moons in that Sheehan interview said a similar thing. That he saw Hawkins come to the club with more talent and ability than Moons had in his right toe and saw him just not getting it together. It was then that Moons got him under his wing and started him off in the right direction.

That culminated in the '11 GF halftime instructions he gave Hawk…. and we all saw how that worked out…

GO Catters
Good interview. My guess is by 2011 Hawk had turned it around , he just had made it work on ground. Then he went bang in that Pies game R24 and even Moons said he knew after that it was over. My heavens if he had only gotten his kicking under control a bit earlier. He would have the Norm with 5 or 6 goals , so that early time came back to bite a little bit. One can only hope that Hawk is the type of character that he can pass on the same to the next group. Smedts? Kersten? If I was Kersten for instance , id being doing all I could to get Hawk comfortable with me next to him. Both should fit in nicely next to the Monolith called Hawkins

Enjoyed this far too much.

10616075_10204995557388252_901338576820127733_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back