Traded Billy Longer (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure he cost us pick 8 but without him leaving we wouldn't have Cutler or Robbo. I know which one out of those 3 I'd least like at our club.

I thought Longer netted us McStay?

Big win actually when you think of it that way:thumbsu:

McStay really looks the goods whilst Longer still looks uninspiring and insipid

We raved about Graeme Hadley when he first took over 2008, and picked up the 3Rs in one draft (and lauding him for Dalziell the year before!). However his strike rate with talls wasn't all that good:
2008: Cornelius (57), McCulloch (69), D Murray (rookie)
2009: Retzlaff (84), B McCauley (rookie), N McKeever (international rookie)
2010: No talls selected
2011: Longer (8), Clarke (rookie), S Michael (rookie)

This is our recruitment of talls since Steve Conole took over:
2012: Paparone (23), Close (32), J Bourke (rookie), S Martin (trade)
2013: Gardiner (22), McStay (25), J Freeman (62, academy), A Smith (rookie), T West (trade)
2014: H Andrews (61, academy), J Watts (65), H Beasley (rookie), M Hammelmann (rookie)
Probably not fair to include S Martin and T West in there, as them coming had much to do with Rob Kerr and the football department also.

Clearly the jury is still out for most of these 1-3 year talls, but many of them look likely types at this stage. Hopefully they develop as hoped.

Sure he cost us pick 8 but without him leaving we wouldn't have Cutler or Robbo. I know which one out of those 3 I'd least like at our club.

even though we got McStay due to him...it was all due to us making the best out of a terrible situation as always, still think he is an average bloke and would love to see him delisted by the worst team in the comp in 2 years time

We raved about Graeme Hadley when he first took over 2008, and picked up the 3Rs in one draft (and lauding him for Dalziell the year before!). However his strike rate with talls wasn't all that good:
Wow. It's pretty bad when you look at it that way. You can definitely trace our current KPP issues back to those 4 years. We used picks 57, 69 and 84 and took 3 in the rookie draft + one international rookie(not counting the 2 ruckmen).
We've taken 6(7 if you count Watts) in the national draft alone in the last 3 years.

This is our recruitment of talls since Steve Conole took over:
2012: Paparone (23), Close (32), J Bourke (rookie), S Martin (trade)
2013: Gardiner (22), McStay (25), J Freeman (62, academy), A Smith (rookie), T West (trade)
2014: H Andrews (61, academy), J Watts (65), H Beasley (rookie), M Hammelmann (rookie)
Probably not fair to include S Martin and T West in there, as them coming had much to do with Rob Kerr and the football department also.

Clearly the jury is still out for most of these 1-3 year talls, but many of them look likely types at this stage. Hopefully they develop as hoped.

I think it's important to note that our midfield was our key area of need in the time Hadley was in charge. So we used our highish picks on mids and grabbed tall's with speculative picks which was always going to be a tough ask. The last few years we have started to focus more on KP's. Hard to really compare the two periods.

I think it's important to note that our midfield was our key area of need in the time Hadley was in charge. So we used our highish picks on mids and grabbed tall's with speculative picks which was always going to be a tough ask. The last few years we have started to focus more on KP's. Hard to really compare the two periods.

What are you talking about? Our midfield was filled with quality, the likes of Harding, Sherman, Stiller, Polkinghorne, Moody, Hawksley and Selwood!

What are you talking about? Our midfield was filled with quality, the likes of Harding, Sherman, Stiller, Polkinghorne, Moody, Hawksley and Selwood!

That sarcasm took a couple of minutes to process this early in the morning.

Hawksley was a gun though. Just ask 3KZ.

come on mate lets not speak of Selwood, Stiller in the same sentence as flogs like Sherman

come on mate lets not speak of Selwood, Stiller in the same sentence as flogs like Sherman

There's a fair spectrum of good but ineffective clubmen through talented but ineffective and self-centred players through untalented and ineffective players in that list. There was, however, one theme through there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true. I remember most of us feeling pleased when we picked up 2 mids first up in Rich and Redden. This is on the back of picking talls early since 2002:
J Brennan, L Spaandermann, C Wood, P Garner, M Clark, W Mills, M Leuenberger, L Henderson, T Collier. All with first or second round selections. Good strike rate there also...

That's true. I remember most of us feeling pleased when we picked up 2 mids first up in Rich and Redden. This is on the back of picking talls early since 2002:
J Brennan, L Spaandermann, C Wood, P Garner, M Clark, W Mills, M Leuenberger, L Henderson, T Collier. All with first or second round selections. Good strike rate there also...

yeah I do remember having a bit of a whinge about this back in the day, that we should have gone for good midifield talent with these picks as our midfield was absolutely atrocious and we hadn't struck with any of these tall selections (M clark, Henderson we were just unlucky with i guess), but now we've gone too far the other way with first round selections as midfielders, tough to hit a balance

2010: Polec, Karnezis, Lester, Green.
2011: Longer, Docherty, Yeo, Wearden.
2012: Mayes, Paparone, Close.
2013: Aish, Gardiner, McStay, Taylor, Cutler, Robertson.
2014: N/A.

Five talls, nine smalls and three in-betweeners. Reasonable balance these days.

2010: Polec, Karnezis, Lester, Green.
2011: Longer, Docherty, Yeo, Wearden.
2012: Mayes, Paparone, Close.
2013: Aish, Gardiner, McStay, Taylor, Cutler, Robertson.
2014: N/A.

Five talls, nine smalls and three in-betweeners. Reasonable balance these days.

Would Close be classified as a third round selection?

Gardiner and Paparone, would they almost be inbetweeners as well given their likely roles as third/4th talls (paperone even a utility)

McStay also was initially taken a flanker/third tall type

Would Close be classified as a third round selection?

Why would Close be classified as a third round selection?

Gardiner and Paparone, would they almost be inbetweeners as well given their likely roles as third/4th talls (paperone even a utility)

McStay also was initially taken a flanker/third tall type

I'm classifying them as they were viewed prior to us drafting, not where they happen to be playing now. Gardiner and McStay were regarded as the two best KPDs in their draft, and Paparone as a long running KPF.

Why would Close be classified as a third round selection?

I'm classifying them as they were viewed prior to us drafting, not where they happen to be playing now. Gardiner and McStay were regarded as the two best KPDs in their draft, and Paparone as a long running KPF.

My mistake on Close thought it was the third round for him.

You can classify the players as whatever they are predraft but at the same time, what the club drafts them as, and how they project into the AFL system should also be taken under consideration...only a minor being pedantic issue I raised though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back