Black Diamond AFL - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
any word on how the finals will be run. will it continue to be the same format. 4 out of 6 teams making the finals. top two teams should still be rewarded with chance to play off to go into grand final. think the split is good for the league and there will be many interesting games through the year. will really test a few teams ability to maintain form when continuely playing harder games, injuries and player unavailability. all in all looking forward and can't wait to get into it.

Not sure of the league's plan for finals or promotion/relegation, you would think still top 4 in each grade to make finals(with top 2 playing off to get the gf and loser gets another shot,whils 3 and 4 are in sudden death) thats how i would do it anyway!

Keep the top 4 and next year(or 2014 at latest,I can honestly see 8 teams in divs 1 and 2) therefore taking away the feeling of everbody is playing finals!! lol

All well and good to grow your numbers but pretty poor they don't have an 18s side. Go back to the days of clubs with no 18s only playing for half points. Might be the only way to stop them!

What clubs like Lake Mac KV and Warners will find tough this year is improving their depth players being in a lower division now as opposed to the Cardiffs Citys and Terrigals. Just means those players who come in from the 2s will have to step up a fair way to seniors. Spoke to a bloke from Balmain last year and he said it was a big issue for them with their ressies in div2 stepping up
to premier.

As for the development squad it is a good idea in theory but not sure what the motive is. Is it to get players drafted or to state league level? Is it to improve the comp. If its to get players drafted they arent being realistic. If its to keep players in the comp the program doesn't matter too much because most players want to play at the highest level they can. On last years model alot of players lost interest as it wasnt much of a program. I would suggest only have 15 players for under 23 and 20 for 18s and make it a real quality program as opposed to opening it right up. Then again I think fixing the 18s comp should take precedence over anything right now! Only 5-6 sides is pretty poor on the leagues and clubs parts

Deitzy I am more than happy for the league to 'at least encourage the clubs to field 18's teams' whether it be by reward/punishment, hopefully more clubs can get the players required next year!!

Re: players in 'lower' grades playing up, yes I have heard it is causing some concern if there is a large gap between a clubs teams(2 or more divs) I guess its up to the clubs to get as many of their players training together/game plan/structures etc, agree with you but they can only do their best(hopefully there are a handfull that are able to step up as the top players in that grade,becoming servicable in a higher grade)

Heard last nite(confirmed on clearances your brother heading back to Gossy along with another couple of pending clearances,looks like Gossy should go alright in Sydney) good for them do you think they will come back to bdafl now divs are in? They would be a shoe-in for div 2 gf you'd think!!

5-6 U18 teams with poor numbers ...

... that is not good and something we need to desperately fix ASAP above ALL other priorities

Definately!! I saw first hand last nite,the level(or lack of)commitment with this new generation!! lol Of all the contacts a possible 18's coach had,he got very little returned with a coupleof 'na I gotta work' to 'maybe next year' or 'im just gonna surf' I understand the league/clubs have prob gotta step up their efforts(its a tough age with lots going on) but I think most that I saw you couldnt drag there(they just have no interest!)

Good luck to everone as I hope other clubs have more success getting this age group on track!!

Definately!! I saw first hand last nite,the level(or lack of)commitment with this new generation!! lol Of all the contacts a possible 18's coach had,he got very little returned with a coupleof 'na I gotta work' to 'maybe next year' or 'im just gonna surf' I understand the league/clubs have prob gotta step up their efforts(its a tough age with lots going on) but I think most that I saw you couldnt drag there(they just have no interest!)

Good luck to everone as I hope other clubs have more success getting this age group on track!!

At the end of the day it comes back to the culture at the club. Alot of kids in this region get treated like crap by senior players at clubs, there isn't much mentoring of juniors by senior players and it can be an intimidating place to be. The clubs with the best strike rate of maintaining juniors would have to be Cardiff and Terrigal. Probably because the kids get an opportunity and are welcomed in by the senior coaches and players. Both have real good cultures in my opinion. When you only get 10 senior blokes at training and a coach who only barks at them you are no chance of keeping them.

As for Gosford Noodles I wouldnt think you'd have a hope in hell of getting them back in the BDAFL after the way they got shafted last year. I didnt leave that club on the best of terms but I really hope they do well in Sydney, they've got a couple of real good people involved to clean out the dead wood, have got a heap of sponsors and enthusiasm, as well as paying a fraction of what the BDAFL was charging.

Noodles gee you're on the money. He didn't put the clearance in until last night so you're quick. I think a few blokes are just keen to have a social kick down there and not have to commit too much.

Speaking of websites isn't it great to see Vlad has found the password to the BDAFL site and put some news up! Seeing who the 18s squad are playing I can see now why Bails would want his 18s to play in a senior practice match for Cardiff as opposed to a challenge cup 18s side in Sydney. What is the point in that!

Running off to Sydney is not the answer and I dont think Gosford should be applauded for opting out on a system which caters for local footy.

At the end of the day, Gosford were losers and didnt have the people to equip them for a better mounted pitch at the BDAFL premiership. I know you people on the Coast do it harder than Newcastle Clubs, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. Accept it, work accordingly and be smart about it.

As for paying "a fraction of what they paid in the BDAFL". Ask someone how much the AFL subsidises Sydney AFL. If all leagues participated on a level playing field Sydney fees would be equal if not more than the BDAFL. This is a situation that most people are unaware of.

Because of this the BDAFL should be smarter with the way they bill their clubs and fully explain where the money goes. It doesnt take much for some club officials to get the shits and of course, then, its all "the leagues fault".

A comment on divisionalisation. One big problem is that when a team in the premier (or top) division starts to lose and is coming last or second last (in a six team comp.) all the focus in that club, however you might try to stop it, becomes centered on the second or third string team, which could well be leading the competition. The first graders want to play in the seconds which makes the senior team's performance on the field as potentially woeful.

The problem here is that the media and Joe Blow in the pub doesn't chat about the seconds or thirds, they look at the scores in the paper.

Divisionalisation has a lot going for it but it has to be managed at both a league and club level. And remember, dont forget to get you money on City for the premiership. That has to be managed too!

Running off to Sydney is not the answer and I dont think Gosford should be applauded for opting out on a system which caters for local footy.

At the end of the day, Gosford were losers and didnt have the people to equip them for a better mounted pitch at the BDAFL premiership. I know you people on the Coast do it harder than Newcastle Clubs, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. Accept it, work accordingly and be smart about it.

As for paying "a fraction of what they paid in the BDAFL". Ask someone how much the AFL subsidises Sydney AFL. If all leagues participated on a level playing field Sydney fees would be equal if not more than the BDAFL. This is a situation that most people are unaware of.

Because of this the BDAFL should be smarter with the way they bill their clubs and fully explain where the money goes. It doesnt take much for some club officials to get the shits and of course, then, its all "the leagues fault".

A comment on divisionalisation. One big problem is that when a team in the premier (or top) division starts to lose and is coming last or second last (in a six team comp.) all the focus in that club, however you might try to stop it, becomes centered on the second or third string team, which could well be leading the competition. The first graders want to play in the seconds which makes the senior team's performance on the field as potentially woeful.

The problem here is that the media and Joe Blow in the pub doesn't chat about the seconds or thirds, they look at the scores in the paper.

Divisionalisation has a lot going for it but it has to be managed at both a league and club level. And remember, dont forget to get you money on City for the premiership. That has to be managed too!

It was either go to Sydney or die in my opinion. Judging by their sponsorship and players returning to the club this year the club will go from strength to strength down there in a standard more suited to them. As for local footy it is closer for them to travel than most Newcastle games, sponsors get more exposure and potential for business than Newcastle and yes the cost factor comes into it.

Why does it cost so much to be in the BDAFL- well as one of the few leagues in the state that isnt governed by AFL NSW/ACT the clubs have to foot the bill for essential things like the GM and the rep program that the Sydney clubs dont subsidise. If the league was under the umbrella I am sure there would be money go towards the GMs wage and a few other things which would reduce the clubs costs substantially. This was how the league was set up and I know back then there wasnt football operations people etc in Sydney to run or manage a competition, but I think the ideal thing would to have an overarching board with the BDAFL, Central Coast juniors and Newcastle juniors under the one governing body to improve links, the pathway, and get everyone on the same page!

Premier division in Sydney is much more costly for clubs as there are things like Digital Sports and higher insurance costs etc, but for clubs with 1 or 2 sides battling in the BDAFL Sydney is a cheap option as they would be a bit off premier. As well as this they will have a club umpire every week which wont cost a cent.

I actually applaud them for having the balls to do it and have a crack as if they didnt the club wouldnt exist in any form.

Anyway surely weve said enough about Gosford!

Agree with your comments on divisionalisation and clubs effectively "tanking" first grade and stacking the 2s. Ive never got the thought process behind stacking the 2s to win a flag. At the end of the day seniors and 18s are what people really judge clubs on, I dont think being reserve grade premiers is a massive selling tool when recruiting!

Be smart about it...the smart thing was to go to Sydney, theres not much you can do when the league kicks you out.....

At the end of the day it comes back to the culture at the club. Alot of kids in this region get treated like crap by senior players at clubs, there isn't much mentoring of juniors by senior players and it can be an intimidating place to be. The clubs with the best strike rate of maintaining juniors would have to be Cardiff and Terrigal. Probably because the kids get an opportunity and are welcomed in by the senior coaches and players. Both have real good cultures in my opinion. When you only get 10 senior blokes at training and a coach who only barks at them you are no chance of keeping them.

As for Gosford Noodles I wouldnt think you'd have a hope in hell of getting them back in the BDAFL after the way they got shafted last year. I didnt leave that club on the best of terms but I really hope they do well in Sydney, they've got a couple of real good people involved to clean out the dead wood, have got a heap of sponsors and enthusiasm, as well as paying a fraction of what the BDAFL was charging.

Noodles gee you're on the money. He didn't put the clearance in until last night so you're quick. I think a few blokes are just keen to have a social kick down there and not have to commit too much.

Speaking of websites isn't it great to see Vlad has found the password to the BDAFL site and put some news up! Seeing who the 18s squad are playing I can see now why Bails would want his 18s to play in a senior practice match for Cardiff as opposed to a challenge cup 18s side in Sydney. What is the point in that!

Thanks mate re: on the money,I guess not all I hear when im out and about is correct but I reckon Iv got a pretty good track record!! lol

Agree with the club cultures(most are not great!) Although it is great that they found the password!!!

Yeah I think that is Gossy's best option to survive,I have heard wispers of other clubs from that general area(gossy council area) keen to join seniors next year,so im sure there will be options for players who want to play in a Sydney or Newwy comp(which is obviously good for the game,the more ppl playing the better)

Disagree with what you say about Gossy,they were in serious trouble,and our league doesnt give you the luxury of rebuilding(I think they may have folded) they tried getting players/coaches from outside the league,tried a merger(altho I still think 4 years too late!)

I do agree that it is harder for coast clubs,and that they didnt have alot of success(altho they had good 18's for a couple of seasons) they just couldnt work their way up the table.

Also agree that you have/will have sides stacking lower teams BUT guess what,this has always happened to a certain extent AND it wouldnt matter if you have 2 grades or 10!!

Players will always be attracted to winning teams,they cant play finals if they played more 1's games but maybe the league can find some more rules to minimise this happening(I recall on at least 2 occasions the Wyong 2's team,back in their heyday,came out to play and were confronted with a stacked Terr team with Bushy and the like and also had an underfeated year taken away from them when Nelsons decided to send their entire 1's team!!! in the last round)

As for City(you couldnt get any money surely they are unbackable!!!)

It was either go to Sydney or die in my opinion. Judging by their sponsorship and players returning to the club this year the club will go from strength to strength down there in a standard more suited to them. As for local footy it is closer for them to travel than most Newcastle games, sponsors get more exposure and potential for business than Newcastle and yes the cost factor comes into it.

Why does it cost so much to be in the BDAFL- well as one of the few leagues in the state that isnt governed by AFL NSW/ACT the clubs have to foot the bill for essential things like the GM and the rep program that the Sydney clubs dont subsidise. If the league was under the umbrella I am sure there would be money go towards the GMs wage and a few other things which would reduce the clubs costs substantially. This was how the league was set up and I know back then there wasnt football operations people etc in Sydney to run or manage a competition, but I think the ideal thing would to have an overarching board with the BDAFL, Central Coast juniors and Newcastle juniors under the one governing body to improve links, the pathway, and get everyone on the same page!

Premier division in Sydney is much more costly for clubs as there are things like Digital Sports and higher insurance costs etc, but for clubs with 1 or 2 sides battling in the BDAFL Sydney is a cheap option as they would be a bit off premier. As well as this they will have a club umpire every week which wont cost a cent.

I actually applaud them for having the balls to do it and have a crack as if they didnt the club wouldnt exist in any form.

Anyway surely weve said enough about Gosford!

Agree with your comments on divisionalisation and clubs effectively "tanking" first grade and stacking the 2s. Ive never got the thought process behind stacking the 2s to win a flag. At the end of the day seniors and 18s are what people really judge clubs on, I dont think being reserve grade premiers is a massive selling tool when recruiting!

Yeah wish them all the best,but agree enough about Gossy.
Here's a topic im not that familiar on,I knew we werent governed by the afl but why not? should we be? If it helps with money etc Is there a downside?

Premier div would be a while off nearly all the clubs I would think,I see that City, and Cardiff ,to an extent play trial games against div 1 teams and seem to be competitive(altho I dont know how strong line ups are as only practise matches).

Yeah no one outside of your club would really value a reserves premiership(esp at the expence of your seniors getting walloped!) I guess some clubs see it as 'acheiving' something from the year.

Anyone got any confired 'ins' for their clubs as even I cant be everywhere!! lol

Heath russell(was going to be Nelson's head coach) is one of 10 new players for narrandera in riverina comp,hope Nelson's get a few 'ins' to steady the ship/consolidate.

Wyong have 2 new players with one of them as fit as an ox!!

Has the league made their final decision re: premier div teams ie who's in/out from Dockers/Singo? and do they have relegation/promotion rules etc set before the end of the year?

Still waiting also on confirmation of teams nominated for div 2? ppl have mentioned city 3's, masters combined, etc will they get a sixth team up from somewhere/or just go this year with 5 teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes for some interesting reading looking at the 2012 clearances - could be some impressive imports to the region which would certainly be a positive for the league.

Yeah I heard around that date(2 weeks later than original starting date) for the comp, and halla f ing loo yah!! finally clearances are up!!!!

Dont know all the names/abilities, but looks like Maitland will have a good year,Dockers will go prob better than some think and Singo have some 'ins' but not sure if they top liners(either way they will be unstoppable if put back a grade!!).

Warners have lost a couple,and not a lot in or out at KV or Terr.

Anyone see the praccy matches on weekend Cardiff? or Dockers? would be good to hear how they both went against 'sydney clubs'

Yeah I heard around that date(2 weeks later than original starting date) for the comp, and halla f ing loo yah!! finally clearances are up!!!!

Dont know all the names/abilities, but looks like Maitland will have a good year,Dockers will go prob better than some think and Singo have some 'ins' but not sure if they top liners(either way they will be unstoppable if put back a grade!!).

Warners have lost a couple,and not a lot in or out at KV or Terr.

Anyone see the praccy matches on weekend Cardiff? or Dockers? would be good to hear how they both went against 'sydney clubs'

good games between Cardiff and St George -although dragons suffered on the injury front they won on the scoreboard - ambulance was kept busy when it visited the ground - nose, shoulder, arm injuries to the dragons

good ground conditions although a little small

Lake macq 1sts beat balmain 2nd div team..
Bdafl 23s got done by 60 against balmain premier div team

were the 23s competitive with balmain? how would they fare against east coast or uni of sydney or a neafl side? was the 23s close to the bdafls best side or did players chose not to play?

were the 23s competitive with balmain? how would they fare against east coast or uni of sydney or a neafl side? was the 23s close to the bdafls best side or did players chose not to play?

I was told the 23s match was more competitive than the score indicated, it was just the game structure Balmain had was the difference. The 23s wasn't anywhere near our best group but Balmain did had their WA and TAS boys playing.

No Cardiff (not allowed) or Kilarney Vale (trial match but wahed out) players played in the team.

I was told the 23s match was more competitive than the score indicated, it was just the game structure Balmain had was the difference. The 23s wasn't anywhere near our best group but Balmain did had their WA and TAS boys playing.

No Cardiff (not allowed) or Kilarney Vale (trial match but wahed out) players played in the team.

Love that statement! More competitive than the score indicated. Im sure if Richmond or North Melbourne lose by 10 goals this year they wont give a stuff how hard they tried! Id imagine Hardwick or Scott will be on the back page of the Herald Sun all week if either side gets rolled by 10 goals this year! Who were the best for the BDAFL squad on the weekend?

Why are Cardiff copping all the flack about not providing players when Killarney look like they have done the same. Cardiff were playing probably a stronger opponent than the BDAFL did, whereas Killarney were playing a div 1 side.
Im interested to hear how the Dockers went against the Balmain reserves. How did they look and how did their new blokes from outside the region go? They need these blokes to fire for them this year to be in the mix!

As for being competitive at NEAFL level, the league is a mile off at the moment and I think everyone understands this. Would need a heap of outside younger talent to come in to bring the level up (21-26 yr ods), and a top quality coach to attract players and get good publicity. Youd definitely want an ex-AFL player in the formative stages to coach the side. Alot of money is required to have sides in the NEAFL so the BDAFL would need a massive cash injection if they ever had a side.

Saw a copy of the draw last night and find it interesting that despite the divisions the league is still going with a 18 rd competition. Would have thought they would go to 15 or 20 rounds with each club playing each other 3 or 4 times to ensure equity and maybe make it a little bit easier on the poor blokes who had to put it all together! Is there any reason for 18 rounds or is it just because its whats always been done? Some div 2 sides will have 3 byes, others 4. Just would make sense to me to have 15 or 20. That way noone can whinge about it being unfair etc!

The 23s were struggling to field a team with a player rang on the day of the game to play

Why are Cardiff copping all the flack about not providing players when Killarney look like they have done the same. Cardiff were playing probably a stronger opponent than the BDAFL did, whereas Killarney were playing a div 1 side.
Im interested to hear how the Dockers went against the Balmain reserves. How did they look and how did their new blokes from outside the region go? They need these blokes to fire for them this year to be in the mix!

As for being competitive at NEAFL level, the league is a mile off at the moment and I think everyone understands this. Would need a heap of outside younger talent to come in to bring the level up (21-26 yr ods), and a top quality coach to attract players and get good publicity. Youd definitely want an ex-AFL player in the formative stages to coach the side. Alot of money is required to have sides in the NEAFL so the BDAFL would need a massive cash injection if they ever had a side.

Saw a copy of the draw last night and find it interesting that despite the divisions the league is still going with a 18 rd competition. Would have thought they would go to 15 or 20 rounds with each club playing each other 3 or 4 times to ensure equity and maybe make it a little bit easier on the poor blokes who had to put it all together! Is there any reason for 18 rounds or is it just because its whats always been done? Some div 2 sides will have 3 byes, others 4. Just would make sense to me to have 15 or 20. That way noone can whinge about it being unfair etc!

The kv boys just rather not play as they have done alot of the reps b4 with heat 14s,16s & 18s

For BDAFL to compete at NEAFL level would be 10yrs away or re-locate North Melb Roos

The kv boys just rather not play as they have done alot of the reps b4 with heat 14s,16s & 18s

For BDAFL to compete at NEAFL level would be 10yrs away or re-locate North Melb Roos

Cardiff boys were the same Micksmif, don't let the troll tell you otherwise.

Saw the draw last night and have to say, it looks like it is all over the place. Feel sorry for the teams that field 2+ teams. It obviously costs more to field those teams, yet the BDAFL in their infinite wisdom, does not see fit to give these teams their home games together. Their is a simple way to achieve this.

You've got 6 teams in premier div equally split into the two lower grades. Then there is either LM or Singo that will have 2 teams in the lower grades. Thus giving an even spread for the premier teams and having one club with two lower grade teams it works out quite evenly.

This will mean that there will be more split rounds, but it will be even throughout the comp. There is a level playing field.

Also with the Division 2 only have five teams, and there being 18 rounds, then three teams will get an extra bye. How is that fair. It should be pushed to 20 and maybe playing over the weekends off. (I say this because if we haven't heard of a sixth team as yet, we won't hear of them later on. And the leagues plans for that sixth was a huge task in one month)

I'm not finding negatives in the divisionalisation. But this is what results when you rush it.

I would to hear how some clubs view their draw and the workload in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back