Black Diamond AFL - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone fron City? did you boys get the numbers last nite for a 3rd side?
Big ask I agree(with the season fast approaching) but they will have 2 solid teams already 1's will play gf at worst and 2's should be there abouts in finals,maybe they could switch some players when they come up against a weaker 1's team,and play some 1's in their 3's!! that would give them some confidence!!! Seriously tho I hope they get a team up so it takes out those byes.

Saw the draw last night and have to say, it looks like it is all over the place. Feel sorry for the teams that field 2+ teams. It obviously costs more to field those teams, yet the BDAFL in their infinite wisdom, does not see fit to give these teams their home games together. Their is a simple way to achieve this.

You've got 6 teams in premier div equally split into the two lower grades. Then there is either LM or Singo that will have 2 teams in the lower grades. Thus giving an even spread for the premier teams and having one club with two lower grade teams it works out quite evenly.

This will mean that there will be more split rounds, but it will be even throughout the comp. There is a level playing field.

Also with the Division 2 only have five teams, and there being 18 rounds, then three teams will get an extra bye. How is that fair. It should be pushed to 20 and maybe playing over the weekends off. (I say this because if we haven't heard of a sixth team as yet, we won't hear of them later on. And the leagues plans for that sixth was a huge task in one month)

I'm not finding negatives in the divisionalisation. But this is what results when you rush it.

I would to hear how some clubs view their draw and the workload in front of them.

There won't be a bye in the 3rds.
The BDAFL in there wisdom have appoached a few old boys from Western Suburbs and they are the likely option of getting the 6th spot in 3rd division. By accounts of the foooty posts up at Islington Oval I think they must be playing there as Hawkins is still rugby.

Brilliant plan BDAFL :rolleyes:. What they dont realise is that with Wests coming in Warners Bay will lose most of their numbers for a reserve grade side and still creates the bye if they drop out. This doesnt really solve anythiong cause the bye will comeback at the cost of an established club.

Why the hell BDAFL would go back to Wests confuses me as they have no juniors :confused:

The BDAFL in there wisdom have appoached a few old boys from Western Suburbs and they are the likely option of getting the 6th spot in 3rd division. By accounts of the foooty posts up at Islington Oval I think they must be playing there as Hawkins is still rugby.

Brilliant plan BDAFL :rolleyes:. What they dont realise is that with Wests coming in Warners Bay will lose most of their numbers for a reserve grade side and still creates the bye if they drop out. This doesnt really solve anythiong cause the bye will comeback at the cost of an established club.

Why the hell BDAFL would go back to Wests confuses me as they have no juniors :confused:

Western suburbs(Sydney)???

Good point. This divisionalisation thing has to be handled with so much care. I do think its a great idea but has its drawbacks and those pulling the strings should get their heads together and ask where it can go wrong and start making some contingency plans. Be pro-active rather than (s**t, how did that happen?) - reactionary

Bringing 'Wests' back is a retrograde step. For one thing, it goes against the constitution but more to the point we can't have this group used as a filler with no head (senior team) or tail (juniors). Just tag them onto an existing club.

It is very important to have football spread equally across the area with clubs as geographically strategically placed as possible and not all bunched together. No-one wins with that scenario.

This splitting of clubs has proved difficult in the past but now divisionalisation will realise it twice as bad. Not a bad thing but clubs very much need to be switched on and handle these isolated games as well as possible.

If you are with a club and reading this take my advice. Each team will almost have to be a self contained unit and NOT rely on players backing up, because, playing 'alone' (as it were) at times, there will not be any of your club team playing before you.

Each team will at least need a coach, assist coach (if possible), runner, trainer (again, if possible), boundary, goal umpire, time keeper and manager to attend each match. If it means going out and hitting up little Jimmy's father or uncle to do one of these jobs. Do it, because come the middle of the season, when its cold, wet and you are coming last and have to travel to Nelson Bay or Singleton, you will be scratching to get a team and make it happen.

Mark my words (and I dont mean to hold myself up as a guru with all this, its just common sense). Plan well, encourage comaraderie, reward those who do well and you will succeed.

Divisionalision is a different ball game. I might even get back with the Doggies for a season to help out. :diamond:

I really, truly hope you re taking the piss. If not the board are dumber than I thought :(

Good point. This divisionalisation thing has to be handled with so much care. I do think its a great idea but has its drawbacks and those pulling the strings should get their heads together and ask where it can go wrong and start making some contingency plans. Be pro-active rather than (s**t, how did that happen?) - reactionary

Bringing 'Wests' back is a retrograde step. For one thing, it goes against the constitution but more to the point we can't have this group used as a filler with no head (senior team) or tail (juniors). Just tag them onto an existing club.

It is very important to have football spread equally across the area with clubs as geographically strategically placed as possible and not all bunched together. No-one wins with that scenario.

This splitting of clubs has proved difficult in the past but now divisionalisation will realise it twice as bad. Not a bad thing but clubs very much need to be switched on and handle these isolated games as well as possible.

If you are with a club and reading this take my advice. Each team will almost have to be a self contained unit and NOT rely on players backing up, because, playing 'alone' (as it were) at times, there will not be any of your club team playing before you.

Each team will at least need a coach, assist coach (if possible), runner, trainer (again, if possible), boundary, goal umpire, time keeper and manager to attend each match. If it means going out and hitting up little Jimmy's father or uncle to do one of these jobs. Do it, because come the middle of the season, when its cold, wet and you are coming last and have to travel to Nelson Bay or Singleton, you will be scratching to get a team and make it happen.

Mark my words (and I dont mean to hold myself up as a guru with all this, its just common sense). Plan well, encourage comaraderie, reward those who do well and you will succeed.

Divisionalision is a different ball game. I might even get back with the Doggies for a season to help out. :diamond:

You sound well informed with the dealings of clubs. I have seen a number of Newcastle clubs who travel down to the Central Coast on game day with their poor under 18s having only a coach and manager at best to support them. I would imagine this would happen the other way as well. I feel for the sides who will be split as volunteers appear tough to come by in this area.

After having a glance over the fixture, I noticed the grand final will be on the one day with all 4 grades playing. How will this fit in with the day? Will the BDAFL abolish time on in the lower grade fixtures, or will it try and fit them all in? I cannot think how they would manage this without either starting at 8am or finishing under lights.

Wow!! Wests thats a blast from the past! Are they still an affiliate/merger with wallsend? Maybe thats where the juniors come from? lol

I still think the most likely will be City 3rd's, if they can get together with some old boys they should be able to field a team(I still think finals would not be out of the question with Singo 2's,Dockers 2's,and City 3's fighting it out for last spot!!) Bit of success will help if they want to have a real crack next year!

Western suburbs(Sydney)???

Hey Mick, your showing your age!! lol West newwy used to be in the comp/merged with Wallsend won the comp in 2001(with a few boys from different clubs helping them) then basically died in 2002!!(short term success altho they have won more than Wyong,Gossy,Singo,Dockers,Warners etc and the same amount as KV) not bad for 3 years in the comp!!!

Were the Demons? if my memory serves me! I suppose the board are looking at all options to fill the final spot in div 2,they will have lots nominating for next year(and hopefully some clubs with a good junior base!! lol)

On another note I see a big upgrade for KV facilities! Congrats to them as it can only increase our games position on coast!

'just tag them onto an existing club' I like the sound of this,but what exactly do you mean?

ie just putting them in the draw with a team that has the other grades playing(prem div,1st div etc) or actually intergrate them with another club? (this way more difficult,but can work well for the clubs involved AND the comp) ie sharing resources,players etc filter down thru the grades(any blokes not getting selected in 1st div for say Cardiff can play for Maitland in 2nd div? so long as clubs are alligned beforehand(loaning them out to give them a run that they may not of got that week,and helping another club consolidate its team on the park cos they were short that week!)

I know there are pro's and con's to everything we do, but just throwing some options out there! A good example would be this proposed 3rd City team,there will be blokes missing out on a game from Nelson's/Wyong as they only fielding the 1 side due to numbers,I personally(some would not I understand) would play for a City 3's team over missing out altogether! But thats just me

I really, truly hope you re taking the piss. If not the board are dumber than I thought :(

I'm not sure its dumb(its not that smart I will admit) but maybe they are just trying to do the best they can as it has been a rushed exercise and they want it to be seen as a success.
It may be their plan to just get some bodies there this year(to make that grade seem viable,then from next year the master plan comes out and we have senior teams from solid junior teams nominate and maybe some more 3's?? How are Cardiff numbers? Do you think it would be an option for the Hawks to explore from say next year/2014?

If so then they could replace the Wests? team and you would think that the draw could be done around the clubs that have all grades ie City/Cardiffs

Hey Mick, your showing your age!! lol West newwy used to be in the comp/merged with Wallsend won the comp in 2001(with a few boys from different clubs helping them) then basically died in 2002!!(short term success altho they have won more than Wyong,Gossy,Singo,Dockers,Warners etc and the same amount as KV) not bad for 3 years in the comp!!!

Were the Demons? if my memory serves me! I suppose the board are looking at all options to fill the final spot in div 2,they will have lots nominating for next year(and hopefully some clubs with a good junior base!! lol)

On another note I see a big upgrade for KV facilities! Congrats to them as it can only increase our games position on coast!

What upgrade noodles?? You sure youre not talking about Adelaide oval in SA??

I believe the Wests thing is just about over the line. Apparently a former premiership coach has been approached to coach and the majority of the 2001 premiership side are keen to get back on board. Will leave a huge hole at Warners Bay with a number of ex Wests blokes there if it gets up.

Had a chat with a couple of guys who played in the development squad on the weekend and whilst they said it was good to play a Sydney side, they believe there was a lack of communication and planning around the whole event. Players who have left the competition were enquired about and even 15 year old kids were asked to play in the 23s.

I guess I have to be careful how I put this but seriously doing development squads seems to be a waste of time. With the TPP squads and Swans academy now, there is more than enough opportunity for kids to get spotted. I know some kids wont mature until a bit later on but seriously the majority of kids who dont make it from the BDAFL either want to go elsewhere to a better football region to be challenged, or just want to have a bit of a kick on weekends with their mates.

I would be spending my time on the BDAFL developing a year round development squad at 12s 14s and 16s levels and getting senior players across the region to run it. Develop the kids at an early age and provide a quality program that will develop skills and an understanding of the game that kids in the region arent exposed to. Get them at early ages and they are more enthusiastic about it, dont have the distractions that 17-23 year old blokes have, and may actually really develop into quality senior players, as opposed to hitting up the kids who have been in programs before and are over it.

The BDAFL has no presence in junior footy at the moment, this may be a good way of improving the links between junior and senior footy, developing players throughout the competition through having them coach and have to think a little bit about the game, as well as improving the whole footy environment across the region.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure its dumb(its not that smart I will admit) but maybe they are just trying to do the best they can as it has been a rushed exercise and they want it to be seen as a success.
It may be their plan to just get some bodies there this year(to make that grade seem viable,then from next year the master plan comes out and we have senior teams from solid junior teams nominate and maybe some more 3's?? How are Cardiff numbers? Do you think it would be an option for the Hawks to explore from say next year/2014?

If so then they could replace the Wests? team and you would think that the draw could be done around the clubs that have all grades ie City/Cardiffs

Noodles it's extremely dumb. What is the point of entering a team of players that have no club, no juniors and no field to call home. Where is the sustainability in that?

Where does it leave Warners Bay, who I understand are hardly flushed for numbers as it is? if these guys leave the bay, their reserves could conceivably fall over, which would bring us back to square one.

Newcastle City, according to their website, had a meeting to discuss the feasibility of entering a third team. I believe this would be a much better option.

As for Cardiffs numbers, I have trained once and played half of the game against St George. Make of that what you will.

'just tag them onto an existing club' I like the sound of this,but what exactly do you mean?

ie just putting them in the draw with a team that has the other grades playing(prem div,1st div etc) or actually intergrate them with another club? (this way more difficult,but can work well for the clubs involved AND the comp) ie sharing resources,players etc filter down thru the grades(any blokes not getting selected in 1st div for say Cardiff can play for Maitland in 2nd div? so long as clubs are alligned beforehand(loaning them out to give them a run that they may not of got that week,and helping another club consolidate its team on the park cos they were short that week!)

Someone who is running out coaching rep teams, and his cronies, should be paying more attention to the governance of the league. Take on a position and you take on the responsibility to serve the league (or club - as the case may be).

I hate to invoke the law but this time I went to the league's online constitution and on page 2 it says:

ADMISSION OF CLUBS AND SPECIAL GROUPS
7. The League may admit clubs and special groups with similar objects to its membership only on the following conditions:
(1) That an application is lodged annually in writing and includes details of office bearers and nominated club representative. Upon an initial application or if amended or changed, a copy of the applicant’s constitution, and if applicable location of ground and facilities and proposed required club colours must also be lodged, and a nominated club representative.
(2) That the applicant’s executive attends a Board interview annually or as required.
(3) That the applicant agrees to abide by the Rules, By-Laws, Code of Conduct, Tribunal Rules of the league, any and all decrees and decisions of the League Board.
(4) That the applicant agrees to pay such fees, annual subscriptions and levies that may be fixed by the Board.
(5) That where applicable, the applicant shall use a ground approved by the Board on which to play its matches or such other grounds as may be provided or nominated by the Board.
(6) That the application for membership shall be in the form required by the Board.
(7) That the Club or special group applicant is incorporated under the relevant NSW Associations Incorporations legislation.
(8) That the Club or special group applicant satisfy all other entry, participation and performance criteria as determined from time to time by the Board.
(9) Each Club or special group must nominate a representative, annually, to represent and vote at general meetings.
(10) If the applicant is a club, the application must include a suggested defined area of responsibility for the development and growth of the game within the club’s jurisdiction, notwithstanding that only one club may participate in the league from within those boundaries if approved by the Board.

Has all this been done for Western Suburbs or West Newcastle? I think not. What about clause 10. You can't have a rule for one which doesn't apply to another. I don't care if they are just filling a gap. Break down the conditions and you break down your competition. Someone out there has to bring the Board to account over this if it is the case. If not, you will pay for it in the end.

By getting them to "tag onto an existing club" I meant they play say, as Warners Bay Thirds or Lake Macquarie Thirds. They can do their own little thing without flaunting the rules and have fun, but to accept them as Wests as a separate entity is wrong and illegal. :diamond:

Someone who is running out coaching rep teams, and his cronies, should be paying more attention to the governance of the league. Take on a position and you take on the responsibility to serve the league (or club - as the case may be).

I hate to invoke the law but this time I went to the league's online constitution and on page 2 it says:

7. The League may admit clubs and special groups with similar objects to its membership only on the following conditions:
(1) That an application is lodged annually in writing and includes details of office bearers and nominated club representative. Upon an initial application or if amended or changed, a copy of the applicant’s constitution, and if applicable location of ground and facilities and proposed required club colours must also be lodged, and a nominated club representative.
(2) That the applicant’s executive attends a Board interview annually or as required.
(3) That the applicant agrees to abide by the Rules, By-Laws, Code of Conduct, Tribunal Rules of the league, any and all decrees and decisions of the League Board.
(4) That the applicant agrees to pay such fees, annual subscriptions and levies that may be fixed by the Board.
(5) That where applicable, the applicant shall use a ground approved by the Board on which to play its matches or such other grounds as may be provided or nominated by the Board.
(6) That the application for membership shall be in the form required by the Board.
(7) That the Club or special group applicant is incorporated under the relevant NSW Associations Incorporations legislation.
(8) That the Club or special group applicant satisfy all other entry, participation and performance criteria as determined from time to time by the Board.
(9) Each Club or special group must nominate a representative, annually, to represent and vote at general meetings.
(10) If the applicant is a club, the application must include a suggested defined area of responsibility for the development and growth of the game within the club’s jurisdiction, notwithstanding that only one club may participate in the league from within those boundaries if approved by the Board.

Has all this been done for Western Suburbs or West Newcastle? I think not. What about clause 10. You can't have a rule for one which doesn't apply to another. I don't care if they are just filling a gap. Break down the conditions and you break down your competition. Someone out there has to bring the Board to account over this if it is the case. If not, you will pay for it in the end.

By getting them to "tag onto an existing club" I meant they play say, as Warners Bay Thirds or Lake Macquarie Thirds. They can do their own little thing without flaunting the rules and have fun, but to accept them as Wests as a separate entity is wrong and illegal. :diamond:

Well creating wonderful 5 year plans and constitutions has got us where?- the league is criticised for being to demanding on clubs and volunteers and then for being to unprofessional for trying to let people who want to play form a side.

I think middle ground is where the BDAFL be aiming - try and be inclusive and accept that clubs are there for enjoyment not stress. how many clubs have lost good people who just couldn't meet the lofty expectations of the league?
Dietzy is right - the good players will get spotted- senior participation and junior clubs should be the focus- i am happy to see reserve grade water boys in boardshorts and no rep side if it means that it will make life easier for clubs.
I am sure the board is doing there best in difficult circumstances and sometimes a few steps backwards can be the best way forward, it won't be the first or last board to screw up i am sure.

What upgrade noodles?? You sure youre not talking about Adelaide oval in SA??

Haha,no mate it is KV's adelaide st oval!! Im not talkin bout million dollar redevelopments,but it does include electronic score boards and solar panels for floodlighting/cost cutting.

Unless of course the 70 grand is going to get swept under the carpet and used on players!!! joke! lol

Noodles it's extremely dumb. What is the point of entering a team of players that have no club, no juniors and no field to call home. Where is the sustainability in that?

Where does it leave Warners Bay, who I understand are hardly flushed for numbers as it is? if these guys leave the bay, their reserves could conceivably fall over, which would bring us back to square one.

Newcastle City, according to their website, had a meeting to discuss the feasibility of entering a third team. I believe this would be a much better option.

As for Cardiffs numbers, I have trained once and played half of the game against St George. Make of that what you will.

Yeah fair enough mate,I was putting my hope in City getting a 3rd's up,so as to not affect other clubs,haha we just about in the same boat I'v trained 2-3 times max and played an intraclub game

Agree that we dont want to affect other clubs,altho I dont think its law(just ppl making the rules at the time) AND LETS BE HONEST ONLY TO PROTECT THEIR OWN CLUBS!!!

I am happy for clubs to 'tag on' to others as you suggest with the bay or Dockers,but I am also of the opinion that the 'old rules' were put in after clubs had folded and therefore they should(to an extent) be able to come back as their own entity!

Did they not co-exist before? ie Warners had 2 open teams and juniors and Wests had theirs? I know the coast better and my example would be KV and Bateau, Both had 2 open teams and juniors and co-existed yet when Granland became the boss of bdafl he and the decision makers decided it was KV territory so Bateau could not return(I think this rule will need to be looked at and if they can build again,without crippling KV,then they should be allowed to rejoin) and maybe new boundaries drawn up!!

again just my thoughts

so the strong will get stronger? (City/Cardiff). is that the master plan?

No mate!! Well its not my plan,I want everyone on a level playing field!

Your team Woy? I want back in the comp next year in 3's building their senior base to their potential,I want the City boys who miss out on a game each week cos they couldnt make training or arent a star playing in a City 3's team.

I want our comp to grow,not die in the ass! Havent heard from you on here since the Woy woy talk of start last year re: getting a team up etc
I want the draw done to help the clubs who field all sides,and a comp structure that promotes new clubs/teams growth

I want common sense!!! Hopefully there are enough ppl out there who want the same......amen

Agree that we dont want to affect other clubs,altho I dont think its law(just ppl making the rules at the time) AND LETS BE HONEST ONLY TO PROTECT THEIR OWN CLUBS!!!

I am happy for clubs to 'tag on' to others as you suggest with the bay or Dockers,but I am also of the opinion that the 'old rules' were put in after clubs had folded and therefore they should(to an extent) be able to come back as their own entity!

Did they not co-exist before? ie Warners had 2 open teams and juniors and Wests had theirs? I know the coast better and my example would be KV and Bateau, Both had 2 open teams and juniors and co-existed yet when Granland became the boss of bdafl he and the decision makers decided it was KV territory so Bateau could not return(I think this rule will need to be looked at and if they can build again,without crippling KV,then they should be allowed to rejoin) and maybe new boundaries drawn up!!

again just my thoughts

Yeah noodles agree. Look can't fault the board for trying to even up the comp and looking at every avenue. But hopefully commonsense prevails. What are peoples thoughts on Harros email earlier this week about introducing the interchange rule? Again rushed idea and hopefully commonsemnse prevails cause I don't think I'd like to pay $300 plus for subs to sit on bench and be interchanged. And also doubt itd be able to be policed in ressies games cause getting water runners and other volunteers is hard enough lol

not at woy, noodles. living in sydney now and no real involvement with the game other than a spectator.

what is your involvement this year? are you involved at league level or just at a club. seems to be plenty of talk about the league recently with some changes.

No mate!! Well its not my plan,I want everyone on a level playing field!

Your team Woy? I want back in the comp next year in 3's building their senior base to their potential,I want the City boys who miss out on a game each week cos they couldnt make training or arent a star playing in a City 3's team.

I want our comp to grow,not die in the ass! Havent heard from you on here since the Woy woy talk of start last year re: getting a team up etc
I want the draw done to help the clubs who field all sides,and a comp structure that promotes new clubs/teams growth

I want common sense!!! Hopefully there are enough ppl out there who want the same......amen

Unfortunately common sense does not always prevail. There are various influences which encourage people to make rash decisions. Band-aid responses rarely work.

I think everyone wants a level playing field Noodles but when you get someone introduce a bright idea which is either too hard to police or implement, someone gets dudded.

You want to promote new clubs. I can remember when one of our guys told me all groups: BDAFL, Newcastle Juniors and CC Juniors agreed that the BDAFL could not support any more than 12 clubs.

With Gosford gone who will taken their place? Niagara Park? Theres an opening there.

There are some basic problems introducing new clubs. First, if not located in a neutral area, it will effect one of the current BDAFL clubs. Whats the point in sacrificing one club to promote another?

The area will cater for a certain amount of clubs Noodles but no more, in as much as we want more. The players might be be there but the administrators are not and they are the ones doing the chook raffles, marking the ground and all that boring stuff.

I often wonder what type of study, if any, has been made to where new clubs should be located. Or, is it, as it always has been, a situation of a couple of fans putting their hands up saying "lets form a club".

Someone mentioned we had some brainy people running the league in the past, well what did they do in relation planning for new clubs? Amen to. :diamond:

If participation numbers aren't increasing you can't have new clubs...to get the comp back to where it was I'd be looking at the root of the problem. The juniors and then work your way up from there...

How did cardiff go in the intra game who stood out during the game and is there any new players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back