Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 14th May …

😡

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringExperienced a hamstring strain in win over Melbourne.
Availability: to be reassessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamWristExperienced a calf strain during VFL on Friday.
Availability: to be assessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinConcussionHas entered concussion protocols after VFL game on Friday.
Unavailable for selection this week. (Update: 14 May)
Lachie FogartyWristAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerUnderwent a minor procedure on a finger injury sustained during win over Melbourne.
Availability: test. (Update: 14 May)
Adam SaadHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsGluteAvailability: test. (Update: 14 May)

Very interesting from Brian Cook on SEN just then. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said that Russell was doing a great job and it was unfortunate that the same players seem to be getting injured every year.

Love Cook

Very interesting from Brian Cook on SEN just then. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said that Russell was doing a great job and it was unfortunate that the same players seem to be getting injured every year.
You can take it at face value or not (I mostly do) but there's no gain by bashing the medical, strength and conditioning team, now, mid-season

If Cook has referenced the injuries/russell then I expect the club has obviously internally reviewed and found the contributing factors, addressed any shortcomings and be implementing a plan to overcome them.
We see the ‘non’ decision behind a sports science and become frustrated, wanting to see the team/individuals be fit/successful.
Revamping a sides fitness and injury management can be problematic in such a brutal sport when the season is in full swing.
List management and individual responsibility are the keys. Oh, and a shed load of luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw mentioned in the post game thread that Zilliams was injured, what was the injury? I thought he was just subbed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You can take it at face value or not (I mostly do) but there's no gain by bashing the medical, strength and conditioning team, now, mid-season

True. But we shouldn't let it slide each season either.

It's one thing for players to get injured. It's another thing for players to be spending more time of their AFL careers on the sidelines than on the field.

Either they need to give up the game or they are being severely mismanaged.

One is an incident.
Two is a coincidence.
Three is a pattern.
Four+ is when it just gets ridiculous and maybe, just maybe, the medicos need to be looked at.
We have already had around 3 players not only sustain new injuries in rehab, but aggravate these injuries, further extending their time out of the game.

I pointed out Cuningham's percentage of games played across 9 years being only 30%. That is pathetic.
Any other club will have well and truly delisted him years ago.

It is a shame because I don't want to see these players injured. They have talent. They love the game. They don't want to sit out.

But the game is demanding. It is taxing. And if the body can no longer cut it for long periods, then it needs to be utilised elsewhere.

Docherty is one player I can keep faith with. Silvagni too.

Marchbank, Martin, Williams, Cuningham, McGovern... how much faith are we supposed to give? How many chances have they had to get a good run in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back