Bluemour Discussion Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If their list manager's negotiating tactics are any indication, I don't think they really know what they're saying.

That being said, Adelaide's midfield is almost entirely role players aside from Thompson (now retired), Sloane and B.Crouch (young). They sought Gibbs to get another dynamic type in there, not a role player.

Grigg and Lyons are role players, and Grigg will add to our clearances more so than Kerridge and Boekhorst's 2016 efforts.

EDIT: Sloane, not Laird

Jimmae, did Thompson retire? i didn't see that. or do you mean van berlo?

Nah.

Played it perfectly.

You can't reward people who try to **** you over, never works.

13 may end up being a world beater or a chump, it doesn't matter.

Sets a standard and you can't be afraid of the decisions you make. This is less about the trade and more about future trades, I'm confident the next time a player tries to reneg on their contract or another club try to induce a player to break a contract they'll understand there's a price to pay, and if they don't pay it ....

Carlton will trade but just make sure you've got your shit together.

Gibbs will be a year older. If Adelaide finish in the prelim, we might get 15 or higher and Ellis-Yolmen as a steak-knife - wishing we'd taken 13 when it was offered.

But we get another year of Gibbs to take heat of Cripps and allow another midfielder to develop.

I'd take a first rounder for him next year. This year would have hurt more.

Gibbs will be a year older. If Adelaide finish in the prelim, we might get 15 or higher and Ellis-Yolmen as a steak-knife - wishing we'd taken 13 when it was offered.

We can't predict the future, but does anyone really think Adelaide will go further next year after weakening their side in trade week? If one believes EP's report (which I do), the only thing we'd have gained from trading Gibbs (compared to our eventual position) was Geelong's 2017 first rounder. That's nowhere near good enough, let alone worth gutting our midfield for. If Adelaide make another play at Bryce it will be for a serious offer or not at all.

We can't predict the future, but does anyone really think Adelaide will go further next year after weakening their side in trade week? If one believes EP's report (which I do), the only thing we'd have gained from trading Gibbs (compared to our eventual position) was Geelong's 2017 first rounder. That's nowhere near good enough, let alone worth gutting our midfield for. If Adelaide make another play at Bryce it will be for a serious offer or not at all.
Yep Adelaide go backwards this year for mine. Might make them all the more desperate for Gibbs next year. Fact of the matter is. Two first rounders or gtfo whilst he's contracted

Gibbs is worth more than #13 to Carlton this year at least - which is why we didn't 'settle' for #13.

Reports are that we may not have held 13 anyway with GWS wanting it for Marchbank .
Would Geelong's 2017 1st pushed out to possibly 20 odd been sufficient compensation for Gibbs with 3 years to run on his contract ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports are that we may not have held 13 anyway with GWS wanting it for Marchbank .
Would Geelong's 2017 1st pushed out to possibly 20 odd been sufficient compensation for Gibbs with 3 years to run on his contract ?

I'm really mystified by all the media talk about Marchbank having to have cost us our pick 5 "to get the deal done" or having to use the pick 13 we would have got from Adelaide if we had traded Gibbs.

North were never expected to pay more than a third round pick for Paul Ahern.

St Kilda paid around a second round pick for Jack Steele.

Collingwood paid a third rounder for Hoskin-Elliot.

Yet we were expected to bend over and part our cheeks for Marchbank.

I'm really mystified by all the media talk about Marchbank having to have cost us our pick 5 "to get the deal done" or having to use the pick 13 we would have got from Adelaide if we had traded Gibbs.

North were never expected to pay more than a third round pick for Paul Ahern.

St Kilda paid around a second round pick for Jack Steele.

Collingwood paid a third rounder for Hoskin-Elliot.

Yet we were expected to bend over and part our cheeks for Marchbank.

Their player, their price.

Truth be told, they rated Marchbank a lot higher than those others and he had shown more in their estimation plus he had a KPP premium attached.

Truth be told, they rated Marchbank a lot higher than those others and he had shown more in their estimation plus he had a KPP premium attached.

If you go buy the comparative value of the other players they let go, looking at exposed form and durability, games played over the past two years it makes no sense.

Even the Pickett trade versus the Ahern trade, similar positions in their draft years, Ahern has played marginally more football, yet North only paid a third(nearly fourth) round for him.

If you go buy the comparative value of the other players they let go, looking at exposed form and durability, games played over the past two years it makes no sense.

Even the Pickett trade versus the Ahern trade, similar positions in their draft years, Ahern has played marginally more football, yet North only paid a third(nearly fourth) round for him.

Others underpaying does not mean we overpaid. We chased these guys for a reason.

You mean the Ahern that will miss all of 2017 with his second ACL and is long odds to ever play again? That Ahern?

North overpaid, GWS also motivated to shift a dead weight off their list and not look like the bad guys for delisting a bloke who is likely cooked.

I would have thought it works a bit differently when uncontracted. We didn't get our price for Tuohy, we effectively got a few places of a draft pick upgraded and a fringe player.

They didn't place any KPP premium on Stewart either.

They wanted to play games with us this year for some reason, maybe its the Richmond people they have.

The whole Crows and Gibbs situation screwed our trade period. Our draft is really bare next year without a second rounder. I agree when Bryce wants to leave at the end of next year, we take their 1st rounder. They won't be improving on this year anyway. Betts isn't going to kick 70+ goals again imo and they have weakened their midfield. Not to mention they had a really good run with injuries this year.

Some Crows fans think Menzel is going to slot into their midfield next year, but I doubt it with his poor work rate. We're probably looking at a pick #11/12.

I would have thought it works a bit differently when uncontracted. We didn't get our price for Tuohy, we effectively got a few places of a draft pick upgraded and a fringe player.

They wanted to play games with us this year for some reason, maybe its the Richmond people they have.

The whole Crows and Gibbs situation screwed our trade period. Our draft is really bare next year without a second rounder. I agree when Bryce wants to leave at the end of next year, we take their 1st rounder. They won't be improving on this year anyway. Betts isn't going to kick 70+ goals again imo and they have weakened their midfield. Not to mention they had a really good run with injuries this year.

Some Crows fans think Menzel is going to slot into their midfield next year, but I doubt it with his poor work rate. We're probably looking at a pick #11/12.

Marchbank is rated a lot higher than Stewart. He was actually a required player. We pushed hard on Gibbs because he was required. We obviously rated Marchbank high enough to pay the price so it is water under the bridge.

But yes, the GWS relationship is over. I knew as much when their recruiting team changed. We need to find another trading partner.

Yeah that works out better, next years draft is better anyway, so pick 13 2017 will be closer to Gibbs value considering he is a year older, plus it gives us time to develop another year with Gibbs in the guts.

Draft 3 mids out of pick 5, pick 25, top 5 pick 2017 and crows first 2017, hopefully adds 3 young quality mids around Cripps and Fyfe for 2018.

The whole Crows and Gibbs situation screwed our trade period. Our draft is really bare next year without a second rounder. I agree when Bryce wants to leave at the end of next year, we take their 1st rounder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we assuming we finished the same on the ladder, we'd have in 2017: 5, 41 and 69.

So, yes, that makes the likelihood of, if not Bryce then some other high-profile player, being traded out for a second pick inside the top 40 all the more likely.

Marchbank is rated a lot higher than Stewart. He was actually a required player. We pushed hard on Gibbs because he was required. We obviously rated Marchbank high enough to pay the price so it is water under the bridge.

But yes, the GWS relationship is over. I knew as much when their recruiting team changed. We need to find another trading partner.

We're just going to have to find the right players irrespective of the club, and the multiple player trades may be over now.
We'll likely still get some GWS players nominating us but the SOS connection will be waning.
Gubby was taken by Collingwood due to this reason as well.

We're just going to have to find the right players irrespective of the club, and the multiple player trades may be over now.
We'll likely still get some GWS players nominating us but the SOS connection will be waning.
Gubby was taken by Collingwood due to this reason as well.

Whitfield to Collingwood when his punishment is over?

You mean the Ahern that will miss all of 2017 with his second ACL and is long odds to ever play again? That Ahern?

North overpaid, GWS also motivated to shift a dead weight off their list and not look like the bad guys for delisting a bloke who is likely cooked.

Pickett is also coming off a very severe injury - no guarantee that he will be 100% of the player he was touted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back