Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Same principle as the Bluemour File - this thread is for TRAINING REPORTS ONLY

No discussion is to take place in this thread!

All discussion belongs over here: Training - 2024 Pre-Season Training - reports, pics etc

It's an easy reference point for training reports without having to sift through pages & pages of posts.

By all means copy and paste training reports from this thread using #TrackTalk hashtag which can be referenced back for discussion in the 'Pre-Season 2024 - Training reports, pics etc' thread & vice versa:-

This has been found to be a valuable reference tool for those of us that love reading training reports and can't make it to training sessions whether it be to due to work commitments, living interstate etc.

The time and effort our posters put in attending training sessions and keep us up to date on how our players/new recruits are tracking is invaluable and we all love reading their informative training reports and we thank you.

The old Bamboo was one of the 50 odd brave souls to head to the training session this morning.

Great to see BlueAbroad again - I reckon he summed the session up pretty well in his commentary. The most pleasing thing was seeing most of the players out there....only Crippa, Pitto, Acres, Charles and Kennedy missing. Pitto was working indoors this morning, and apparently Acres did the warm up and headed back in, so may also have been doing some indoor work.

There were players in the 'rehab' group like Cow, Durds, Mirk, George, Doc, Zac - but it's still November so no concerns. And I'm not going to say "it's the healthiest we've looked for a long time" for obvious reasons.

There's not a real lot you can take out of the 1st training session - especially as it didn't stop drizzling to various degrees for the entire session - but not many fumbles or dropped marks.

Anyway, a few observations:

• as Terry and Paul said on the podcast, Ollie was in 'beast mode'. It really stood out - seems to have more confidence in traffic. He's definitely filled out a little since this time last year. Early call, but he could be the big improver. Reckon we'll see him move from a wing into the midfield in a few years.
  • absolutely loved what I saw from Billy the Kid. Has very clean hands, and a burst of speed - which also stood out given we've lacked that for a number of years (with the exception of Saad). Looks a real athlete, and wouldn't at all be surprised if he debuted this year.
  • speaking of which, Monahan also looks a genuine athlete. The poor bugger - first training session and is welcomed by a wet greasy oval ball - good luck with that!! He'll be a slow burn, but already has an AFL ready body, and can obviously run. It's a bummer than Duffy went down, because he's also that genuine athlete with AFL traits.
  • Moir looks like a beautiful smooth mover. Good size as well. When they were doing a warm up drill with players pairing off and kicking to each other about 30 metres apart, it was a thang of beauty to see him just darting the ball from either foot.
  • Harry looked like he was on a mission with the running drills. Obviously been putting some extra work on an athletics track according to one of our posters, but looking good. As was TDK - who'll be come our most important player over the next few years. It's vital we re-sign him before he hits the FA market.
  • I may be imagining things - and it was only day 1 - but Cincotta looks like he'd got more confidence the way he was moving. Little shimmies and baulks to evade tackles and weave through traffic that I didn't really notice last year.
  • Elijah looked okay, although he seems to have a laconic way about him. Still reckon he'll be a mid/forward rather than a forward/mid. Didn't really notice Fanta a lot, but a lot of drills were on the opposite side of the ground, which was pretty hard to pick up through the drizzling rain.
  • Sam Walsh is a machine. Seems an eternity from last January when we were just thrilled to see him jogging a few laps. You can see that in every drill or semi-competition, he's 1000% committed.
  • Weiters is a BEAST!!!!

That's about all I can think of for now.

#TrackTalk

Just some other comments that people don't usually discuss

Lemmey looks very good and is training hard with rucks and forwards. Doing a lot of contested work
Akuei moves well and is involved a lot
Wilson looks very good. Has genuine run and is a lovely ball user
Fantasia is quick. It's obvious
Moir hasn't done a lot and looks a way off at this stage. Skills are impressive
Mirkov is training well and looks good
Monahan is a big unit and looks built for AFL. Seems to be adjusting quite quickly

Everyone looks very fit. No fatties like a few years ago. A few in rehab but nothing major
We now have a lot of players that can really run. Gone are the days of Ed or Cottrell leaving everyone for dead in the running
Training is hard. Lots of running and contested, game style type work.
What I really like is everyone is involved and talks. More than I have ever seen. The tempo is quick and they are pushing each other

#TrackTalk

The MooCow just kept running throughout every training sim/drill, was on the move the entire time out there…
Looks in very good condition physically and aerobically…

Ollie Hollands was another standout from the young brigade, just presents, runs and creates for his teammates, added a little more weight very clever player…

His brother Elijah is smooth & silky as well while also a running machine, like his brother has great footy IQ more classy and powerful, makes things happen..

Boyd looked in superb shape and touch also, his kicking, run and defensive skills were impressive…

All the players who participated looked in great condition, the improved standard of skill & running within the training drills we are now creating and executing have improved significantly across the board…

The running handball/overlap drill standard for me was a bit of a standout in performance from the players, while educating to improve this skill system of our team game…

#TrackTalk

Last edited:
Fits with what I have seen during pre season so far

The Hollands Cowan Lemmey Boyd have been very impressive and will go to another level

Having said that there is not one player you look at and believe they are off the pace

Bloody Exciting
Lemmey has great awareness in timing his leads and finding space, his kicking skills in general play for a player of his size are very impressive…

Has added some size but still looks to still need to improve his strength, judgement and marking in contests…

Got a little to close to the man on the mark with a few of his set shots at goal today…

Only if he showed a little more of that natural aggression as a player, he seems a bit laconic at times, he could be worth trialling in defense as a KPD with his athleticism, a patient slow burn type who might pay off long term…

Hollands and Boyd are playing games this year, hopefully Cowan in a logjam situation down back can manage a few himself…

#TrackTalk

Enjoyed the session

Firstly, the rehabilitation and or minimal to structured involvement group. No concerns from my viewing as many of the players were running laps or removed themselves from contact drills.

Cowan, Williams, McGovern, Acres, Fantasia, Docherty, J Carroll, C Durdin, Pittonet, Cuningham, Hewett, M Carroll, S Durdin, Saad, Markov. Williams and Docherty were wearing yellow caps, likely a prompt not to tackle them, but both moving very well. Williams hit some absolute darts at times. Jack Carroll is absolutely huge and ripped.

JSOS - Did Jack things, smart leading to the right areas, strong work ethic, looks reasonably health buy did check his right knee a couple of times. Will need to fight hard for a spot especcially if Voss wants to run with Pitto and TDK

Motlop - While not prominent, looked dangerous in the match sim. Seemed more team orientated, work hard to get to the right spots and applied good pressure

O, Hollands - In for a really big season, worked hard from BP to the forward half. Looks more confident with ball in hand, kicking continues to improve, moreso around decision making and wanting to come back inside to take the game on. Think we may just see him more inside at times

Cerra - More workman like today, but was happy to get more inside to take on the bigger mids in Cripps and Kennedy.

Kennedy - Looks ripped, hard and fit, tipping will be in the side round one

Fogarty - More of what we saw in the back half of the year, knows his role and plays in well. Not sure he starts round one, but good depth and wouldn't be unhappy if he is in the lineup

Cripps - At times he wanted to make a statement taking players on, at other times just dished to a better option. It was good to see a different balance to how he approached the day

McKay - Looked confident, quick, one touch and moved well. Interesting that he was involved in the ruck in some limited stoppage drills

De Koning - With Durdin and Weitering in the rehab group spent some time as a backman, but more forward in match sim. Looks to be running more on top of the ground compared to the same time last year

Kemp - Looked sluggish. Was really tight and disciplined on some occasions, then lost his man and or gave his opponent too much room. Kicking under pressure was average. Think he is behind Marchbank and McGovern at this point

Walsh - Watch out, looks bigger, faster and on a mission. Never seen a player train as hard as him ever

E Hollands - Lock him into the 22. Was in my top 3 today (along with Ollie and Walsh), overhead, ground level and on both sides of the body was elite. Big solid body, but runs all day. Looks like he starts at HF, rotating through the middle. Will be a steal of the offseason

Martin - Looked like he is just going through the gears at this stage, but good to see him out of the rehab group

Marchbank - Like Martin, good to see him healthy this time of the year, really good and smart with his defensive position. Plays round one

Newman - Looks lean like last year and seems to have a licence to push more up the ground, which i found interesting

Binns - Has put on a little weight, more confident to come inside and or take it on, but did struggle competing with the bigger bodies. Developing well but suspect he spends anothe year at VFL level

Curnow - Just an absolute freak. Some of the long, low kicks to players running out the back were phenomenal. Even when out of position in a marking contest, either wins them or brings the ball to ground.

Lemmey - Looking to get more involved by demanding more of the ball with a more aggressive lead. Competed well, moves to good areas, but kicking was unusually off today

Young - A shell of the player we saw in his first year. Looks like he lacks confidence, more worried about his opponent rather than attacking the ball and with ball in hand is hesitant

Monahan - WOW. Lightening quick and can sustain that speed for long distances, kicks well on both feet. At times his positioning was AFL standard, then other times lead to dead areas. For someone that has never played the game, starting forward, it war promising

Wilson - Came out later in the session but looked good, especially when he wanted to take on a raging bull in Cripps coming straight at him with the ball. Certainly quick, mostly one touch and good decisions/execution by foot. Might be a sneaking chance to play this year depending on health of list

Boyd - Will say it again, he is a lock for the 22. While playing the deepest of our defenders, his run and delivery at speed is a thing of beauty.

Cincotta - Right in the mix, especially if Williams starts the season late.

Akuei - Unfortunately, can't see him making it, but does try hard

Moir - Exciting, has great lateral movement, turns his opponent with ease and high footy IQ. Looks underdone to me compared to the rest of the group, but will be a handful at VFL level. Get fit and he will be knocking on the door and hard

Owies - Most involved small forward, leading well now to give a teammate an option when he has space in front him. Kicking has improved dramatically over the last 12 months

Cottrell - Continuing on from what we saw this year, working hard both ways, his kicking is very underrated, like his decision making. Had him just outside the 22 leading into 2024, need to change that after being reminded how good he is for our structure

As for our style, looks like it has gone up a notch, while not super fast or manic, it seemed like it was always in motion even, if it was to a wide outlet. Intent to move the ball was pleasing, but if we want to play a quick possession game, we will need to be cleaner

Most impressive today, Walsh, E & O Hollands, Boyd

#TrackTalk

Owies just a super smart kid gets to the right areas leading or out the back…

Kemp struggled a bit aerobically in the quicker ball movement sessions as the sessions progressed particularly the handball drill, puffing big time…

Binns decision making and execution by hand and foot in a handful of basic contested situations was a little disappointing…

Akuie is a great athlete but is far off the mark as football smart, basic skills and decision making were a little subpar…

Young still has promblems in getting lost in general play by his man in the contest, also head to head contact contested situations…

Wilson looked great in the last match sim of the day, calm and clean showed on a few occasions a very quick turn of pace and good kicking skills…

Liked the seperated contests on the flank near the end of the training session between Charlie JSOS Cerra Walsh Wilson O.Hollands doing one on one’s trying to step and evade each other, All especially the Charlie, Cerra and JSOS contests were great fun to watch..

Martin just cruising through, class act and great to see he is up and running injury free this time of year…

#TrackTalk

Haven’t had time to read other posters’ reports from today so apologies for the likely overlap.

I left today’s session beaming. Grinning from ear to ear. A kind of lightness in my step and I could fair dinkum have skipped and not realised it.

One player just blew me away with his improvement. But more on that later….

The absentees were almost none. Cuners and S Durdin came out but did almost nothing as far as I could tell. Cowan and Weitering didnt do a lot but did kick and run around a bit and didn’t look too hampered. Mirkov did bits and pieces.

The restricted group who ran a lot of laps: Williams (did some ball work in main drills too), Saad, O’Keefe, Hewett (see williams), Acres. Fantasia. None looked like they wouldn’t join in from the first week in Jan. Great signs. Descending order or workload: Williams (did a stack), Hewett, Acres, fantasia, Saad, O’Keefe. Then Cowan Weitering. Then Mirkov, then Cuners and S Durdin. I think Cripps may have gone off a little early - heard someone say ankle but missed it. Has probably been covered. I think everyone else trained fully.

Overall CLEARLY transition was the focus. And in particular a lot more forward handball than I recall which was exciting to see. The contact was very low but the work rate very high in intensity. The players were forced to play through the corridor too.

The turnaround in approach is nothing short of remarkable from early in the year. Gone are the defensive handballs out of packs and bringing the ball wide at all costs. The slow play. We saw again today why Lewis Young has been left behind. He just can’t move the ball on quickly enough. Perhaps I should deal with the other of the very few negatives. I was a smidge disappointed in Kemp. He still zoned off too often for my liking and his running is still rubbish. He was toward the tail of the second (slower) group in repeat 150s/200s at the end.

And that’s IT. The rest is all goodness and joy.

We have a collection of good decision making players who will revel in the transition game we are employing. From those who engaged fully today: Walsh, Cerra, both Hollands, Binns, Cotts and Cripps all chained well through the midfield.

Harry and Charlie actively seemed to work to give each other a lot of space and it looked superb.

Running drills comments: Oliver Hollands is every bit as good a runner as Cotts and Binns. He stuck with them on the first two. Won the third of four in the fastest time of any of the four sets. Made a point of finishing right alongside in the 4th. The Irish lad (can’t recall name yet sorry) finished just ahead of E Hollands and then Walsh.

Some player comments with our new AA player saved for last….

SOS- was great to see him out there, moving freely and not skipping a beat. He seems in great shape. Worth noting he and E Hollands were to run about 50m head to head in one of the simulations and SOs clearly had him covered. I think I learnt that E Hollands is not that fast and sos is in good shape all at the same time. Can’t see SOs missing any games when fit. Looked sharp

Motlop either didn’t do all drills or was missing a lot. I barely noticed him. Did a few clean things but just didn’t stand out.

O Hollands was absolutely outstanding. His efforts in the running drills came on the back of superb training. His link work is sensational. He looked slightly quicker. Stronger. He was just too good for them at many points. One more year on the wing (which is all his btw) and then into central midfield. He’s better than his brother. He just is.not sure I’d swap him for any player in that draft. Read that again.

E Hollands isn’t as good as O. But that doesn’t mean he’s not a good pickup. He’s not as good an athlete. But he reads it well. His endurance is superb. Hands great. Kicking good. He is right there for a spot. Perhaps fighting Cotts for the high half forward or Kennedy and Hewett for that mid spot.

Cerra and Cripps were themselves which is great but I have nothing new to offer about them.

Z Williams. Well * me. If you’ve ever ran better and looked fitter it wasn’t at this club. Well done. Well ******* done. What an outstanding rehab he’s conducted. Super fit. Moving brilliantly. Looks shredded. Can’t wait.

S Walsh. Trained like he had a point to prove. To who I have no idea. Lol. Looked to get forward more. Be more dangerous. He’s in great shape. Up there in the runs which given how much running he missed last summer is superb. Best season yet ahead for my boy.

Charlie. Lol. Just lol. He’s just way better than everyone else by miles and miles and miles. I see videos of him drinking all summer and then he comes out and in second gear plays like that. Too quick. Too agile. Too everything.

Marchy and Martin must have felt very strange. They did most of the session and it isn’t even Xmas!!!!! Wow. Martin looked amazing. Absolutely glides and seems in superb shape. Marchy looked way more agile and strong than he did during the year. He’s had a great off season.

Moir and Wilson showed flashes worth watching. Both look athletic enough. Wilson a little small for mine but time will tell.

Lemmey was interesting. He did more than I’ve seen albeit played on Akeui who was lost. But he moved better Lemmey. I keep thinking CHB may be his go.

I think Harry has lost 2-3kg. He looked super lean. Interestingly he was in the fast group (who also ran further) in the run drills. Perhaps they want him spending a lot of time up the ground.

But the guy who blew me away from the moment I saw him through the window in warmup area was TDK. Wow. Holy s**t. He has leaned up but not lost size. He easily won the runs in group two. He was flying. He looks absolutely set for the number 1 ruck position. Pitto didn’t pick the best time to be missing sessions. TDK is an AA ruck waiting to happen now. 2024 or 2025. He is just sensational. I would love to see he and sos take over the role full time.

What a superb session. Full of positives. I can’t see us not making too 2 next year. I just can’t.

#TrackTalk

The boys doing the repetitive laps were great, Williams Fantasia Hewett ran a shitload throughout the entire morning and looked in great condition ahead of the others who also participated as well…

JSOS looks like he is physically in the best shape of his career, his endurance really stood out today just repeatedly ran everywhere to offer a lead, contest or create options in space…

DeKoning looks in ripping nick, he’s speed agility and athleticism stood out he created some good marking opportunities forward of the ball by creating good space by smart leading and workrate, his marking atm still seems like it hasn’t all clicked just yet…

Yeah Charlie and Harry look like they are are humming along, both are freaks…

#TrackTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

You can't help but be impressed with what we've seen from Elijah so far. I've mentioned it previously, but I honestly reckon that now he's in a professional environment surrounded by quality mids, his game will go to another level in no time. And his little bro's confidence is getting higher and higher - you can see that the groundwork that was put into him in 2023 playing in 19 games - including 2 finals - is going to pay dividends.

Harry is a man on a mission - every contest, every drill, every sprint - he's like a man possessed. Same with Walshy - but he's like that all the time - just HATES to be beaten in anything.

How impressive is Monahan as an athlete? You can see he already has some fairly elite speed endurance the way he moves, and did some fairly nice things today. Reckon he'll love playing on the G when he gets his opportunity. Obviously still learning the game, and will need time to work on his skills with the oval ball - a few times today he took that extra split second to get the ball in the correct position in his hands to handball or kick - which is a split second you don't get at the elite level. Either way, looks impressive - and if I had to compare him to another of the Irish players, it would be Connor Nash from Hawthorn (who I actually rate).

Speaking of impressive, Moir has some kind of presence around him on the footy field. Someone has previously mentioned that he looks the type of player that could tear a game apart with 8-10 possessions, and I totally agree that that.

I also agree that Binnsy still doesn't appear ready for a senior call up as it currently stands. Still looks undersized, and did struggle in the match sim against the bigger bodies in the cut and thrust. The positive is that there's no need to rush him into the side just for the sake of it, and can further develop his game at VFL level where he looks fairly comfortable.

Lemmey looks like he has put on a bit of size compared to this time last year, and liked some of his aggression today attacking the ball. Still has a long way to go, but good early signs.

George is looking very buffed - may have been putting in a few extra sessions in the gym as part of his rehab - but still favouring the one arm. Wasn't involved in any contact work, but was still marking the ball with the one hand.

Apart from all that, Charlie is a freak of nature, Cincotta looking more comfortable at the top level, Boyd was very good - and TDK boy oh boy wowee - could be in for a huge year. I was also watching the rehab group doing some non contact drills at the Heatley Stand end - my man Durds was doing some skills work with the ball that had my eyes popping out of my head. That customary swooping on the ball at full tilt and through the big sticks in one motion. Give him a sniff around the goals, and he'll bury you.

Anyway, it was a good contested session. One of the highlights for me was the drill where one player would receive a handball, turn, then try to avoid the tackler oncoming tackler. JSOS received the handball, turned, and Charlie absolutely smashed him in a ferocious tackle. You could see when JSOS got up, he was not happy. Around 20 seconds later it was Charlie's turn to receive the handball and avoid JSOS - and just as he was about to receive the handball, the hooter sounded to finish the drill. JSOS just turned with his hands in the air as if to say WTF - no doubt he was all set for revenge.

#TrackTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't gonna go but then I was, then I was, wasn't, but a fellow Bluebagger dragged me down there. Really good turnout and the session went for a lot longer than I expected. Everyone who turned out undoubtedly enjoyed themselves.

🌠 Star Of The Show Award 🌠
Sam "Mr Vanilla" Walsh easily won this. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he gets through the preseason unscathed, he'll go awfully close to bringing Charlie home with him at the end of season 2024. His game is built around executing basics exceptionally well and then rinse, wash, spin, repeat. There are not many players, if any, that push themselves as hard at training than Walsh. The power running he displays is amazing. If he can have more impact with his possessions this year it'll elevate him to another level.

:eekv1: Shocker Of the Year Award :eekv1:
Matt Cottrell's haircut literally has no competition here. The dead cat on a microphone has more appeal.....and they're not red!!! Couple it with red moustaka and he looks like something that got kicked off a 1970s pr0n studio. Yes, it really is that bad. Fortunately, he's injury free and training the house down so expect him to in-and-around the best 23 for selection. I may not be a fan of his haircut, but I definitely love his work ethic. Go Cotts!!!

😯 Surprise Packet 😯
Rob Monahan picks up this prize. If anyone was under the impression this guy isn't quick and can't sustain it for long periods then think again. The other thing I like is that he doesn't shy away from contact. Handling the oval ball is something that doesn't come naturally to him yet, but his kicking off either foot is pretty good and has decent penetration. Footy IQ is a work in progress as he leads into too many dead zones where he either gets bypassed or can get picked off by an opponent by the time the ball arrives at his position. This is something LOB used to do in his early days. Some astute coaching and a year at VFL level should sort most of this out. Looks to be an astute pick up by our List Management Division.

:kissingheart: Kumbaya Award :kissingclosed:
While Zac Williams' rehab from an ACL is still a work in progress he managed to participate in some running and kicking drills. Looked very sharp when performing those drills. I've never said this about a player before, but the thing that really stood out to me is how much at peace he seems to be with himself and the world. I don't mean this in a "sleepy" context, but in a "content" and good way. Will he start Round 1??? Dunno. It's easily forgotten that Williams hasn't produced footy of his AA standard for over 3 years now and the barely played any footy of substance for 2 years. Our best guide will be his form in the match sim against Geelong and praccy match against the Demons in Feb.

🗡️ Who's Looking Sharp :knife:
Matt Owies takes home the Wiltshire Staysharp Award. Looks to be in tremendous nick. Ability to present up the middle of the ground on the lead with no one noticing and then finish off his work was something to behold. Anyone who suspects he'll struggle to hold down a spot in our starting team needs a gentle Putin-styled Russian brainwashing. Then comes something intangible, both Owies and Durds play better when they're on the park together. Dunno why, dunno how, it just happens.

🤔 Don't You Forget About Me 🤔
The Simple Minds Award goes to Matt Kennedy. Seeing him run around unhindered by not having to carry around bung ankles, a suss knee or a bad back provides a sense of joy. There comes a fluidity to his game that we don't often get to appreciate. Automatic Round 1 starter in my book if fit and the same goes for his fellow midfield beast George Hewett. Having a fit Kennedy, Hewett and Walsh may just allow us to finally view this midfield group is potentially capable of.

👽 Lost In Space 🛸
I hate to say it, but I'd love to know where Lewis Young lost his competitive spirit from 2022. In many ways it's this missing piece we need to complete our defensive half. Has the speed, has the height and has the talent. I don't have any answers for you here, but let's hope the coaches can find a way for him to rediscover it pronto. If anything happens to the Weiterbot, we're F'd. Can we please stop recruiting bloody flankers and draft or trade a decent KPD.

🏃‍♂️ Off The Pace 🏃‍♀️
Ashton Moir has some sublime skills regarding kicking off either foot and marking, but he is severely lacking in the endurance stakes. This will be the major focus for him to improve upon over the next 2-3 preseasons. He won't survive at AFL level until this area of his game drastically improves. Allowing his opponent to run off him down the ground as an unchecked +1 at AFL level is a simply a no-no. There are a lot of good things to like about this kid's game though, but improving his endurance will be the most challenging one faces......Moir or Less.

:sneaky: Secret Weapon Award :sneaky:
Provided Elijah Hollands can keep his head down and focussed on the job at hand he's primed and ready to go at senior level. He's big, powerful, can run all day, strong overhead, can kick the cover off the ball, has X-factor and can go through the middle. What else do you want. He's yet to prove he's an upgrade on Kennedy or Hewett, but the potential is there. I'd like to see rotate through the middle with Kennedy, Hewett and Cripps and then play HFF when not required on ball. Provided his preseason stays on track, Voss and Hansen will unleash this young bloke as soon as he's eligible (round 3).

#TrackTalk

I wasn't there but message from someone who was.

Boys trained for about an hour outside after work inside
Went hard at the whole time
Players broke off into running at different times while game style drills kept going
Only one not involved was Weitering although a couple of players didn't do all the drills
Everybody looks bloody fit and there is no holding back
TDK starred in everything he did. Has a presence now
Taking game on all the time and they hardly missed a target. Almost at stage where they are playing like Harlem Globetrotters. Backing themselves in and trying anything to keep ball moving. They all cover a lot of ground
Young Wilson looks great and not scared
Kennedy impressive
Selection to hard to pick but boys have never looked better

nb: Weitering on crutches and getting massage on calf. Will stay off it for another week and then light running. Build up to first game. Seemed to be in good spirits

#TrackTalk

Much of the same today as last years final open day training session, after the general warmup, there was three main groups of around 10/12 spread out in different areas across the ground working on contested ball work…

Then they spread out into more smaller groups, ruckman in their group, midfielders forwards and defenders all training in designed drills…

Then the first of 3/4 main full ground match sims, same emphasis again is on quick ball movement by hand/foot heavy continuous running, switching overlap by finding space and connection…

The hand ball drill 3 main sessions, the first and third were 3/4 ground ball movement which again working on quicker quality ball movement, players working to improving their positioning work rate run and chain in presenting for their teammates offensively, while on the flip side it develops our defensive abilities by trying to negate pressure tackle run and win the ball back, flat out exercise while it was in play, with 6/8 on the side rotating on and off every 2/3 minutes…

Second handball drill was the entire group, much more condensed & less space to work in, obtaining the ball was harder to maintain, players really had to work harder and execute to teammates cleanly to link up and move the ball…

#TrackTalk

Silvagni Cerra Kennedy Cripps Harry DeKoning Acres Docherty Walsh Hewett Charlie Saad all looked in fantastic condition as usual…

We have some serious oxygen brothers Ollie Acres Walsh Elijah Binns Charlie Cottrell who are serious running machines…

Elijah Hollands and Billy Wilson were of our new players the two standouts for me today, Hollands is poised, silky, clean, super skilled, evasive good in traffic, gut runs not only is his disposal by both hands and feet pinpoint but makes the right decision…

Wilson more of an outside player atm but he looks to have some all round exciting qualities, great speed and run looks to take the game on, also poise and a good decision maker, a beautiful kick of the footy, seems to read the game well, looking forward to his development this year…

Big O’Keefe impressed me with his athleticism and speed at times today, showed on a few occasions in match sims some good football smarts and workmate getting to good areas and becoming involved in the chain of play, looks stronger another youngster I’m looking forward to seeing him develop more this season…

Big Mirkov, still looks a little raw with aspects of his game but he also impressed me a little with his athleticism also today, has also added some more weight, will need to be more involved around the ground and forward to give himself another year, he jumped up and took a great contested one grab mark in the goal square in the last sim of the day…

Ollie was really good today geez he manages to tackle, holdup and takedown some bigger body players with his slighter frame, created &
linked up well again today may be introduced sparingly this year into the midfield rotations until he builds up more and becomes stronger…

Motlop looks in fantastic condition as well, done a power of running in the drills and sims, gets to the right areas to win/offloaded the ball or on the spread or ahead of the ball when we’re going forward…

#TrackTalk

Not as big a crowd as the last open session, nor was it at the same intensity on the park, but still sharp.

Fairly standard drills, but with a bit of intrigue. During the full ground match sim, there was a conscious effort to stay down one side of the ground even though the drills commenced on both wings. So, not much switching, more direct from the wing to the centre. Perhaps not wanting to show the switching layers to the masses

• Jsos - As normal, really involved, hitting up, smart forward patterns and yes, still missing set shots which he should be nailing
  • Cowan - From being in the rehab group last year, looked to have good touch, but seems to me is in need of a few more runs. Wasn't moving fluidly
  • Motlop - Quite, but looks primed for another step up this year
  • O Hollands - Seems so much more confident with ball in hand and demanding the ball
  • Cerra - Didn't get out of 3rd gear, but that wouldn't be a concern
  • Williams - Still wearing the "don't tackle me yellow cap" but way more advanced than I thought possible, think he could make round 0, at worst, Tigers round 1
  • Kennedy - Best shape I have seen him in since arriving at the club, benefit of having a full preseason
  • Fogarty - Looked really sharp, clean hands and has shed some weight.
  • Cripps - Spent a fair bit of time forward in the match sim, perhaps workload management
  • McKay - Think he will have a big year, especially if confident levels continue to rise with the change in his goal kicking
  • McGovern - Came out then straight back in again, perhaps looking for his woollen jumper. Appeared after the match sim and involved in drills
  • TDK - Not as sharp, nor with the same intent, looked like he was just blowing out some cobwebs
  • Acres - See TDK
  • Fantasia - Unsighted
  • Docherty - Training with the mids, have no doubt will play mainly on a wing
  • J Carroll - Ripped, with Dow gone, will be the top dog at VFL while waiting for a run. Think he will improve output/development
  • Kemp - Unsighted
  • Walsh - Like Cerra, didn't get out of 3rd gear, but you could tell he wanted too.
  • C Durdin - Shoulder must have healed well, as he was attacking the ball and player hard
  • E Hollands - Will start at HF, rotating through the middle, still looked clean and engaged
  • Martin - Unsighted
  • Marchbank - There the whole sessions, for him, thats the best report you would want to read
  • Weitering - Unsighted
  • Newman - Running laps
  • Binns - Still enjoy how he wants to get involved and or coming inboard with the ball, but doesn't have the body strength yet
  • Pittonet - If he continues staying health, he starts round 1 as the number 1 ruckman. Was moving well, but still double grabing some marks
  • Cuners - Was engaged splitting his time mid/HF, but was part of the midfield group. Finding plenty of the ball
  • Hewett - Best reader and most composed of any player. Was involved in everything so the hand surgery is clearly healing well
  • Charlie - Warmed up with the rehab group, but then took part in the match sim and beyond. Freak, continues to win contests that most wouldn't break even
  • Lemmey - Coming on, moving better or moreso more confidently at the ball carrier. Good hands, great kick. Would like to see more natural aggression
  • M Carroll - Wearing the "don't tackle me yellow cap", but at one stage had to commit to a marking contest while Kennedy was coming the other way. Carroll didn't flinch and it was a decent clash where both went to ground. Both players got up quickly and a number of players went to Carroll. For me, a little insight that tells me he will come on
  • Young - Better, but still lacking confidence. As soon as the ball is in flight he needs to attack it hard rather than being overly conscious of his opponent
  • Monahan - Making huge strides, freak, wouldn't surprise if he plays 2nd half of the year. Likely spends the year at VFL level and be a very good contributor
  • Wilson - Still fumbles at times, but with ball in hand, takes the game on and hits targets. One play, comes off a left footers HB, into the middle, then hits a worm burner across the body to a leading forward 40 metres out. It was a wow moment
  • Boyd - Like most of the players, in 3rd gear
  • S Durdin - Still in the rehab group from last year, running laps
  • Cincotta - Only out there for about 20 minutes doing some running
  • O'Keeffe - Has put on more weight than I could have expected. Moving very well and not afraid to mix it up with more senior bodies in the ruck
  • Akuei - Same as previous, but good to see that he is fit
  • Saad - 2nd gear
  • Moir - Rehab group running laps
  • Owies - Unsighted
  • Mirkov - Best I have seen him move, but struggled against Liam McMahon in the match sim
  • Cottrell - 2nd gear

#TrackTalk

Last edited:
Not as big a crowd as the last open session, nor was it at the same intensity on the park, but still sharp.

Fairly standard drills, but with a bit of intrigue. During the full ground match sim, there was a conscious effort to stay down one side of the ground even though the drills commenced on both wings. So, not much switching, more direct from the wing to the centre. Perhaps not wanting to show the switching layers to the masses

• Jsos - As normal, really involved, hitting up, smart forward patterns and yes, still missing set shots which he should be nailing
  • Cowan - From being in the rehab group last year, looked to have good touch, but seems to me is in need of a few more runs. Wasn't moving fluidly
  • Motlop - Quite, but looks primed for another step up this year
  • O Hollands - Seems so much more confident with ball in hand and demanding the ball
  • Cerra - Didn't get out of 3rd gear, but that wouldn't be a concern
  • Williams - Still wearing the "don't tackle me yellow cap" but way more advanced than I thought possible, think he could make round 0, at worst, Tigers round 1
  • Kennedy - Best shape I have seen him in since arriving at the club, benefit of having a full preseason
  • Fogarty - Looked really sharp, clean hands and has shed some weight.
  • Cripps - Spent a fair bit of time forward in the match sim, perhaps workload management
  • McKay - Think he will have a big year, especially if confident levels continue to rise with the change in his goal kicking
  • McGovern - Came out then straight back in again, perhaps looking for his woollen jumper. Appeared after the match sim and involved in drills
  • TDK - Not as sharp, nor with the same intent, looked like he was just blowing out some cobwebs
  • Acres - See TDK
  • Fantasia - Unsighted
  • Docherty - Training with the mids, have no doubt will play mainly on a wing
  • J Carroll - Ripped, with Dow gone, will be the top dog at VFL while waiting for a run. Think he will improve output/development
  • Kemp - Unsighted
  • Walsh - Like Cerra, didn't get out of 3rd gear, but you could tell he wanted too.
  • C Durdin - Shoulder must have healed well, as he was attacking the ball and player hard
  • E Hollands - Will start at HF, rotating through the middle, still looked clean and engaged
  • Martin - Unsighted
  • Marchbank - There the whole sessions, for him, thats the best report you would want to read
  • Weitering - Unsighted
  • Newman - Running laps
  • Binns - Still enjoy how he wants to get involved and or coming inboard with the ball, but doesn't have the body strength yet
  • Pittonet - If he continues staying health, he starts round 1 as the number 1 ruckman. Was moving well, but still double grabing some marks
  • Cuners - Was engaged splitting his time mid/HF, but was part of the midfield group. Finding plenty of the ball
  • Hewett - Best reader and most composed of any player. Was involved in everything so the hand surgery is clearly healing well
  • Charlie - Warmed up with the rehab group, but then took part in the match sim and beyond. Freak, continues to win contests that most wouldn't break even
  • Lemmey - Coming on, moving better or moreso more confidently at the ball carrier. Good hands, great kick. Would like to see more natural aggression
  • M Carroll - Wearing the "don't tackle me yellow cap", but at one stage had to commit to a marking contest while Kennedy was coming the other way. Carroll didn't flinch and it was a decent clash where both went to ground. Both players got up quickly and a number of players went to Carroll. For me, a little insight that tells me he will come on
  • Young - Better, but still lacking confidence. As soon as the ball is in flight he needs to attack it hard rather than being overly conscious of his opponent
  • Monahan - Making hug strides, freak, wouldn't surprise if he plays 2nd half of the year. Likely spends the year at VFL level and be a very good contributor
  • Wilson - Still fumbles at times, but with ball in hand, takes the game on and hits targets. One play, comes off a left footers HB, into the middle, then hits a worm burner across the body to a leading forward 40 metres out. It was a wow moment
  • Boyd - Like most of the players, in 3rd gear
  • S Durdin - Still in the rehab group from last year, running laps
  • Cincotta - Only out there for about 20 minutes doing some running
  • O'Keeffe - Has put on more weight than I could have expected. Moving very well and not afraid to mix it up with more senior bodies in the ruck
  • Akuei - Same as previous, but good to see that he is fit
  • Saad - 2nd gear
  • Moir - Rehab group running laps
  • Owies - Unsighted
  • Mirkov - Best I have seen him move, but struggled against Liam McMahon in the match sim
  • Cottrell - 2nd gear
It was all pretty low key - basically just a bit of match sim in 3rd gear, and some drills. No rep running drills. It was kind of what you'd expect from an open training session - although it did warm the cockles early in the session where Saad and Williams combined to run the ball out of defence....looked very sharp.

I reckon you've pretty much nailed it, cos there's not much to report given it was just a low key hit out, although I agree on Elijah - can't see him playing too often in the magoo's like Dew preferred to play him. He's got some real talent.

Just with the younger guys:
  • I reckon Lemmey is starting to get some confidence by the way he was moving - which is probably the main reason why his form dropped in his draft year. Just needs to believe in himself.
  • Billy's definitely got some wheels on him, and some poise under pressure. Would be surprised to see him debut this year, but looking forward to seeing him in the VFL.
  • Ollie not as prominent today - still love the way he manages to cut a passage through traffic...a lock for round 0.
  • Binns was basically playing on Ollie in match sim - he's a good link player, but still looks a way off imo.
  • J Carroll looks fit and firing....I still maintain he's a better player at AFL level than VFL.
  • M Carroll - I must admit I didn't notice him a lot, but I think I was getting him mixed up with one of the VFL top ups.
  • Cow is ready to fill in a defensive role whenever he gets a call up - hard to believe he's just turned 19yo.
  • Monahan is an athletic beast - still raw, and finds himself in no man's land at times during match sim - but you know he's the type that aint gonna die wondering. Can't see him debuting this year unless we're plagued with injuries.
  • O'Keefe looked okay but still a long way off. Same with Mirk, although he did do a few nice things.
  • big Dom - just can't see it...you've gotta admire his desire and athleticism, but still way off the mark.
  • Look out for Motlop to improve a lot this year - can't wait to see him with his partner in crime Durds during the year, who looked dangerous during match sim. That front and centre goal off Mirk's tap was a thing of sheer beauty.

On a side note, Harry was still kicking around the corner with his set shots - there was one from around 25 metres out that went through the middle but only just made the distance. Maybe it's something that still needs to be sorted - or we just have to accept that's the way it's gonna be.

#TrackTalk

I went. Really enjoyed it. Brief notes without much colour:
  • drills centred again on handball and keeping the ball centrally. Fast ball movement the key.
  • i feel the game plan has shifted and they’re trying to take advantage of our many good chain players (Walsh, Cerra, acres, doc, william’s, saad, hollands x 2 etc)
  • i felt they ran pretty hard but I have noticed a big drop in intensity at the contest in training. They really pull up. Clearly don’t want concussions and injuries
  • I won’t bother recapping who didn’t train as presume has been covered (haven’t had time to look) but if anyone has any questions I’ll answer

Individual comments
  • Walsh was an absolute standout. Just super. His agility and hands in close were sensational. Looks as good if not better than ever
  • Charlie seemed in second gear but still too good for Marchy when he felt like it
  • McKay looked dominant at times down the ground in match sim
  • I love Acres and he was great but he was our second best winger. Doc was top shelf. Creates a lot of options (and good selection headaches)
  • both Hollands were very good. Elijah is a player for sure. He didn’t play a second in midfield so they clearly have their eye on high half forward for him
  • Kennedy and Hewett in great form and fitness and will be hard to keep out of this side
  • I felt Cotts hands were scratchy as was his decision making at times
  • Boyd didn’t get involved enough. Not sure he reads the play that wrll
  • Motlop moved well and Luke Power noted he was in career best fitness
  • Cripps didn’t seem to be himself to me. May have taken it easy. Left the track a bit early
  • Marchy looks as fit as I’ve seen him
  • Cuners trained and showed his usual flashes
  • Cerra didn’t really bother but when he did was good
  • the Saad Williams combo is a delight. They get out off trouble so easily and have a lot of confidence in each other
  • sos did no ruck work which interested me. McKay took the forward ruckwork
  • Billy Wilson showed plenty and is one to watch. I guess I’m a little wary of his size but he did plenty of nice things. Has good speed and used it well. Got plenty of it.
  • I really liked Monaghan. He has the most explosiveness at the club. Very powerful. I reckon is ahead of where Touhy was at the same stage. He’s not even 20 and is built like a truck. He knows he’s powerful and uses it well. Really one to watch.
  • Young was bloody disappointing again for mine. God he’s lost confidence

Not much else to note unless I missed something. Happy to answer any questions.

#TrackTalk

Took the kids Friday - their first ever trip to Princes Park!

Long session - too long for many! They should have done the autograph, meet & greet bit earlier - a lot of folk left before as their kids were simply getting too ratty.

The footy?

1. Everyone looked in very good knick, covering the ground nicely - Kennedy a stand out imo (reckon those 'slow' monikers might disappear this year).
2. Crippa's (right?) leg heavily strapped but it was removed later (he sat out a fair bit).
3. Cotter's knee strapped?
4. Ball movement, general decision making with ball in hand, leading at the ball etc. looked light years better than I could remember it. There was very little wasted or stuffed up delivery.
5. Young went ok at KPD.
6. Watch out for Big H this year - just looks settled, calm and ready.
7. Charlie's a total freak.
8. Moir, Newy running laps, no sign of Martin.
9. The Irish lad is built and a slick mover.
10. JSOS looked sharp (always looks half knackered but keeps presenting).
11. E. Hollands - has a beautiful long kick - several long kicks to top of the goal square (from outside 50) comfortably cleared the defensive line...
12. TDK - in and out of play, but reckon he's going to crunch a few folk this year.
13. Kransky's at $10 a pop - seriously!

#TrackTalk

Not a whole lot to report from what was a pretty basic drills training session

As mentioned Motlop, Weiters, Walsh, Marchy, Martin all didn’t train at all. Durds and Owies did some drills and laps but everyone else trained fully.

It was a pretty cruisey session and for the most part skills were pretty good. Nothing gameplan worth taking away from today.

Few positives

Williams looked fit and used the ball well, always finds his way out of trouble
Bot looks to have put on a bit of size and looked better in tight
Boyd’s kicking is elite and he should be a lock for opening round.
Moir is a great size and oozes class. Moved better than I thought, has the makings of a very good footballer if developed well
Rob has an unorthodox ball drop but seems to use it well both sides of the body
Hewett appears to be moving better and looks super strong in the contest again
Elijah’s a smooth mover and has great awareness around the contest

Hopefully a better showing from the boys this week up at the Gabba

#TrackTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back