Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's didn't change where you finished though.
We would of finished last with four wins max, he almost single handedly got us over the line vs GC. We want more than Adelaide are prepared to pay at this stage which is fair enough.

However if he refuses to sign a new deal then we have no option but to trade him next season or lose him through FA the following year, a single pick would get it done at that point.

Last 4 games of his contract ? Think people within the club are well aware where he sits within the group
More so than us yes, but I was pretty pleased with his season as a whole given the circumstances. I saw the uptick occurring from VFL R1.

That's not a lot and our time will be for the next 3-5 years
It's not a lot by number but is by importance. Considering how many of those players are AA, their omission given how even the comp is, could be the difference between finals.

3-5 years sounds like Gibbs useful life....it's no wonder you guys wanted him badly enough to announce on day one last year. If you strongly believe your club doesn't need him and has moved on, then I'd suggest you do the same.

The rumour goes Rocky was a total flog and made the new players drink their own urine. He apparently was one of the catalysts for the 'go home five'.

Beats me if there is any truth to it. I'm sure the club would have a word to Docherty about it before we'd consider drafting him though.
Im not so sure about all this. Not to name drop but I know a quiet country kid who was drafted to Brisbane during the Rockliff leadership years and he worshipped the ground Rockliff walked on. We could do a lot worse. I think he could bring just as much if not more than Gibbs to our young team.

Last edited:
Interesting to see where he sits based on average goals per game...

Ed Curnow 0.18
Zac Fisher 0.24
Patrick Cripps 0.39
Sam Petrevski-Seton 0.50
Sam Kerridge 0.53
David Cuningham 0.55
Tom Rockliff 0.56
Bryce Gibbs 0.59
Dale Thomas 0.68
Marc Murphy 0.71
Rhys Palmer 0.77
Well Mitchell kicked his 70th approx career goal I heard tonight from a 300+ game career which kind of highlights how useless this stat is in isolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Mitchell kicked his 70th approx career goal I heard tonight from a 300+ game career which kind of highlights how useless this stat is in isolation.
Josh "chosen one" Kelly has kicked 18.23 for the year, including 0.3 for this final series.

Yet most would trade their grandmother for this serial butcher of the football.

Add ...
Sloane (28 beginning of next year)
McKay
All of their quality, important players (bar the crouches, laird, McGovern, Cameron, Brown, Lever and Smith) will be 27 and over next year.

Look a little further to 2020..

Jacobs(32), Walker(30), Talia(29), Betts(34), Douglas(33), McKay(32), Sloane(30), Jenkins(31), Lynch(30)

8 of their best 22 will be 30 and over as there are currently no apparent replacements for these players.

Look at their scoring breakdown this year and then compare it to ours..

Crows:

27 and over = 239 goals
26-22 = 115 goals
under 22 = 9 goals

For the Blues:

27 and over = 125 goals
under 26-22 = 31 goals
under 22 = 76 goals

It's pretty clear to see who the Crows are reliant on. 27 and over group kicked double the rest of the playing groups score. I can't see the 22-26 y.o. players suddenly doubling their goals as the over 27 players start to decline, no under 22's really jumping up to displace any of the older players either.

Opposed to the Blues who's under 27 group kicked virtually the same score as the over 27. The particularly impressive factor in the blues scoring breakdown is you can see how much scoring power is coming from the under 22's which will improve at a much more rapid rate than the other 2 age groupings.

You would think the Crows have to win a premiership within the next 2 years before they start getting overtaken by teams like the Blues from 2020 and beyond. Hence the urgency to get Gibbs now.

2017, 2018 and 2019 or bust for the Crows. Silvagni would know that, he will know how valuable Gibbs is to the Crows and will hold his nerve as he did last year.

All of their quality, important players (bar the crouches, laird, McGovern, Cameron, Brown, Lever and Smith) will be 27 and over next year.

Jacobs(32), Walker(30), Talia(29), Betts(34), Douglas(33), McKay(32), Sloane(30), Jenkins(31), Lynch(30)

8 of their best 22 will be 30 and over as there are currently no apparent replacements for these players.

Crows:

27 and over = 239 goals
26-22 = 115 goals
under 22 = 9 goals

For the Blues:

27 and over = 125 goals
under 26-22 = 31 goals
under 22 = 76 goals

It's pretty clear to see who the Crows are reliant on. 27 and over group kicked double the rest of the playing groups score. I can't see the 22-26 y.o. players suddenly doubling their goals as the over 27 players start to decline, no under 22's really jumping up to displace any of the older players either.

Opposed to the Blues who's under 27 group kicked virtually the same score as the over 27. The particularly impressive factor in the blues scoring breakdown is you can see how much scoring power is coming from the under 22's which will improve at a much more rapid rate than the other 2 age groupings.

You would think the Crows have to win a premiership within the next 2 years before they start getting overtaken by teams like the Blues from 2020 and beyond. Hence the urgency to get Gibbs now.

2017, 2018 and 2019 or bust for the Crows. Silvagni would know that, he will know how valuable Gibbs is to the Crows and will hold his nerve as he did last year.
You've actually built the case of why we shouldn't have given 2 firsts on Gibbs.

In 3 years time our best players will be 30, so we have 3 years before they even hit 30. They aren't all of a sudden going to be s**t players. Take off Douglas and Mackay as they will not be much of a loss. Betts sure, Jacobs might have another year or 2 left.

We then have a bunch of players under that bracket like Crouches, Laird, Smith, Brown, Gov, Atkins etc.

We've still got first rounders who can't break in or consildate a spot because our side is reasonably strong.

We add some more first rounders which in time will be ready to replace the players you mentioned as our better players.

SOS can hold his nerve if he's expecting 2 first rounders but it ain't going to happen, if it was going to happen it would have been last year. If that's what he wants Gibbs stays a Blue.

You've actually built the case of why we shouldn't have given 2 firsts on Gibbs.

In 3 years time our best players will be 30, so we have 3 years before they even hit 30. They aren't all of a sudden going to be s**t players. Take off Douglas and Mackay as they will not be much of a loss. Betts sure, Jacobs might have another year or 2 left.

We then have a bunch of players under that bracket like Crouches, Laird, Smith, Brown, Gov, Atkins etc.

We've still got first rounders who can't break in or consildate a spot because our side is reasonably strong.

We add some more first rounders which in time will be ready to replace the players you mentioned as our better players.

SOS can hold his nerve if he's expecting 2 first rounders but it ain't going to happen, if it was going to happen it would have been last year. If that's what he wants Gibbs stays a Blue.

You come from a state with an incredible sense of entitlement. Not only do you want subsidised electricity and industry but also footballers who you expect should be traded for unders. Unfortunately when a player is contracted you have to pay overs. So either slip away and enjoy the finsls series or produce the equivalent of 2 first round picks

I'm building the case to show the Crows aren't going to dramatically improve over the next three years, more than likely they will start to drop off. First round picks this year won't help you win a premiership within that window, Gibbs will.

Jacobs at 32 won't be Jacobs at 30. Betts is your leading goal scorer, he's kicked 52 goals, half of what every player on the Crows list under 27 years of age kicked combined.

Collectively Jenkins, Betts and Douglas kicked pretty much the same tally of goals as every player aged under 27 on the crows list kicked combined. These guys will all be either retired or winding their numbers right down in 2020.

The only player on the Crows list who may be capable of pushing into Betts/Jenkins type goal numbers in 2020 is McGovern. Still he is 23 and only averaging just over a goal a game. Still seems a fair way off producing Betts or Jenkins type numbers.

The crows don't have a ruckman in 2020 who is capable of performing to Jacobs current standard.

2017, 2018, 2019 is the Crows window. First round draft picks won't help during this period, won't be premiership ready until 2021-22 at which time Lynch, Walker, Sloane, Betts, Jenkins, Talia, Jacobs will be well past their prime.

As I said, it's 2017, 2018, 2019 or bust for the current Crows list

Last edited:

Crows:

27 and over = 239 goals
26-22 = 115 goals
under 22 = 9 goals

For the Blues:

27 and over = 125 goals
under 26-22 = 31 goals
under 22 = 76 goals

Less Cameron and Lever - it looks thin. Doedee and Gallucci are the first rounders who are going to cover the aged players. Seems to come up a little short.

And they will continue to...loudly until they lose the GF to Richmond.

Then...things might change a little.

TA
I really do not see Richmond winning the G.F..............and do not want it either because their fans would become even more feral!!! I had to put up with them in the 70s...........let them just be content with 10 flags.

Josh "chosen one" Kelly has kicked 18.23 for the year, including 0.3 for this final series.

Yet most would trade their grandmother for this serial butcher of the football.
Yeah but he has had 41 shots on goal which is very handy for a midfielder in my book, and does not take away from how much he gets the pill in the first place!!! Sour grapes for him not coming to us...........how many of our mids have had that many shots on goal.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back