Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This hyperbole around Lever is starting to become ridiculous. He is a good, third tall/intercepting defender.
Our own Marchbank had a nearly identical season in a bottom two team, opposed to a team who finished first. I would go as far as to say that Marchbank would have had a clear better season if he didn't go down with injury.
Marchbank was one of the fancies for the Rising Star earlier on in the season. He gets injured and it is amazing how quickly everyone forgot about him.

I think Docherty will end up similar to what Hodge was for Hawthorn.
Capable of going into the midfield, but better served organising things with the field in front of him.

I see a backline something like this:

Byrne Jones Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Pickett.

I still see Weitering going forward, yet can't find space for Macreadie yet.
Why on earth would Lever interest us? How many KPD'ers do we want?
This post got me genuinely excited about the prospect of Carlton under a Docherty leadership, THIS could be THE game changer.

On Future Stars today they showed a few highlights of Jarrod Pickett, its amazing what you can forget in a few weeks. He is going to be a sensational player for us.
Showed some brilliant glimpses this year. He's flying under the radar nicely with all the other youngsters around. One year on from that trade and I think it's safe to say it's another tick at the trade table for Sos.

Lever is absolutely not worth more to Adelaide.

Structurally and age wise, he is. They have few other talls under the age of 25 other than Himmelburg. List management isn't just being about gambling on a flag while Jacobs, Douglas, Jenkins, Betts, Walker and MacKay are on the list.

When Leaver leaves, they'll be forced to top up on talls over the next couple of drafts or deal with the dire situation Silvagni faced in 2015.

You may say he's an overrated player and I have no qualms about that. But Bryce departing isn't going to impact our long term future in the same manner.

I still see Weitering going forward
I can see it panning out with Weitering ending up forward and Curnow in the midfield.

That aside, I'd rather trial Marchbank up forward to start next year, should we go that route again.

Let Weitering get his confidence up down back first rather than chase his tail, as was the case for much of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever is comfortably worth two first round picks. He is comfortably worth more than Gibbs because of his age and ability. He would comfortably be in the top 5 young desirable talents going around. He would be a key contributor in every team in the competition.
Lever is out of contract though isnt he? If he is contracted than I agree with you...if not, then he and Gibbs are on par for my mind considering their ages.

All the discussion about Doc being captain is brilliant but shouldn't Crippa get a look in? My 2 cents - we give it to Crippa for 2018. Nothing against Doc, I love him but I reckon Crippa has more X factor and can maybe inspire the boys to go with him more than Doc. It would also limit the possibility of him getting enticed to go back home.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm confident SOS and Bolts will have enough info to make the right call. SOS won't stand for any of that rubbish with his own sons at the club and Docherty will know the full story.

Apparently having a kid can change a bloke too. It could be the best thing for Rockliff tbh.

Maybe they can share baby sitters with the Gibbs.......

Structurally and age wise, he is. They have few other talls under the age of 25 other than Himmelburg. List management isn't just being about gambling on a flag while Jacobs, Douglas, Jenkins, Betts, Walker and MacKay are on the list.

When Leaver leaves, they'll be forced to top up on talls over the next couple of drafts or deal with the dire situation Silvagni faced in 2015.

You may say he's an overrated player and I have no qualms about that. But Bryce departing isn't going to impact our long term future in the same manner.
Strongly disagree.

Our midfield situation is way more dire than their tall stocks, and losing Bryce compounds that significantly.

Given the sparsity of first round talent in the 2014 draft, even when compared to this pool, the fact that they're looking like getting a refund for Lever when they aren't prepared to pay him remotely what he's worth (forget what's being offered) is huge.

Last edited:
I've said that before and even some months ago. It's just what happens when the media gets on a roll.
You don't even have to have seen him to rattle off, "Best young defender in the league" :)

Reckon we'll see a few next year at least as good, if not better. Good player but the mayo being applied.........??
Media Lever-age.

Last edited:
I seem to the rustled some jimmies with my praise for Lever. I seriously rate Lever in the top echelon of young footballers. Besides his undoubted ability, he strikes me as someone with exceptional on field leadership qualities and a thirst for the big stage. Time will be the ultimate judge but I really do think some of you are being unreasonably dismissive of his ability. Seriously if he played for Carlton we would be praising him as a future captain and pillar of our future success. His game awareness, reading of the play, disposal, spoiling ability and interceptions are exceptional. He is a step ahead of Marchbank at the moment in terms of performances. Melbourne will have to give up pick 10 and a pick between 12-18.

I seem to the rustled some jimmies with my praise for Lever. I seriously rate Lever in the top echelon of young footballers. Besides his undoubted ability, he strikes me as someone with exceptional on field leadership qualities and a thirst for the big stage. Time will be the ultimate judge but I really do think some of you are being unreasonably dismissive of his ability. Seriously if he played for Carlton we would be praising him as a future captain and pillar of our future success. His game awareness, reading of the play, disposal, spoiling ability and interceptions are exceptional. He is a step ahead of Marchbank at the moment in terms of performances. Melbourne will have to give up pick 10 and a pick between 12-18.
We have doc and we don't praise him as a future captain as much as you say we do, I like Lever alot but 2 first rounders like people are suggesting is ridiculous, does that mean we can get 3 first rounders for Cripps?? Lever is worth 1 pick inside the top 10 and that is it... He's an intercepting defender for gods sake, I'm not getting this praise that Lever is receiving..

We have doc and we don't praise him as a future captain as much as you say we do, I like Lever alot but 2 first rounders like people are suggesting is ridiculous, does that mean we can get 3 first rounders for Cripps?? Lever is worth 1 pick inside the top 10 and that is it... He's an intercepting defender for gods sake, I'm not getting this praise that Lever is receiving..

I've wondered a lot about this a lot...what is Cripps worth on the open market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back