Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty Allan was a classic at doing this and then putting us over a barrel at season's end with threats to walk. But the one I recall most was Fraser Brown, who put together an almost Brownlow winning season going into negotiations for the final contract of his career and scored a massive payday. Never had a season like it before and he never did again. Both these blokes were contributors to our salary cap woes.
not sure about the fraser Brown comments. in 1998 he got 18 votes in the brownlow and won our best and fairest. finished 14 votes behind robert harvey. played 1999 when he made the famous tackle and 2000 and then retired. hard to imagine how he contributed to our salary cap woes in those 2 years as i dont recall him holding the club to ransom or being on big money. i recall him giving his all every time he pulled on the jumper and continuing to support the club to this day.

2015 NAB AFL Draft Trumps - Harley Balic

Harley Balic v WA (2015)

"Ready made AFL player"

#18 Harley Balic (Academy)
Good improvement noticeable in the 2nd video apart from his kicking. Very unorthodox and average.
Haven't seen what his kicking is like now but can't imagine it will magically have changed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So if we get Smith, Kennedy and Rockliff and draft a midfielder with 3, to go alongside Cripps, Murphy, Samo, Curnow how does our midfield stack up against the rest?

Kennedy would help Cripps with the grunt work.
Rockliff would help releive losing Gibbs.
Smith is a bit of an unknown because of his knee but I think he'll be ok. I'm not expecting a lot from him to be honest.
Pick #3 will take a couple years.

So we'll be a little better off but not enough elite young talent imo. Now that Kelly has decided to stay, we must make Shiel the #1 priority in 2019.

Find all these comments on Kennedy to be damn tacky actually ..........especially as it was his own mob that killed him.......god bless the land of the gun and the Wall street w**k**s.....sorry bankers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too soon?

not sure about the fraser Brown comments. in 1998 he got 18 votes in the brownlow and won our best and fairest. finished 14 votes behind robert harvey. played 1999 when he made the famous tackle and 2000 and then retired. hard to imagine how he contributed to our salary cap woes in those 2 years as i dont recall him holding the club to ransom or being on big money. i recall him giving his all every time he pulled on the jumper and continuing to support the club to this day.

The way I recall it was that his contract negotiations were played out very publically at the time. I think there may have even been threats to leave (to Richmond maybe), I can't quite recall. He'd been injured during the previous year, hadn't been at his best for a few years and played a blinder of a season. In the end, Elliott gave him a sizeable contract and there were reports Parkin wasn't too happy about it.

Given Carlton were over the cap, paying out a big salary was surely going to contribute to what eventuated re the salary cap. And the payments that came out of that agreement certainly raised eyebrows at the AFL, where they were all over the club and Brown to step forward and declare the full details, to which he declined. The AFL's anger at this has previously been suggested as one of the reasons they came down as hard as did on the club.

Sorry to get off topic.

The way I recall it was that his contract negotiations were played out very publically at the time. I think there may have even been threats to leave (to Richmond maybe), I can't quite recall. He'd been injured during the previous year, hadn't been at his best for a few years and played a blinder of a season. In the end, Elliott gave him a sizeable contract and there were reports Parkin wasn't too happy about it.

Given Carlton were over the cap, paying out a big salary was surely going to contribute to what eventuated re the salary cap. And the payments that came out of that agreement certainly raised eyebrows at the AFL, where they were all over the club and Brown to step forward and declare the full details, to which he declined. The AFL's anger at this has previously been suggested as one of the reasons they came down as hard as did on the club.

Sorry to get off topic.
once again not sure you are correct. Fraser refused to co-operate with afl who already had enough self reported evidence to convict. a hard and tough carlton man who gas always put the club first.

Insert Cuningham & Fisher also.

Assuming we lost Gibbs...

Experienced - Murphy, Rockliff, Ed
Mid range - Smith, Cripps
Newbies - Cuningham, Kennedy, SPS, Fisher & pick 3 (LDU/Cerra/Dow)
Depth - Thomas, Kerridge, Graham, Boek etc

Looks pretty good on paper to me...i'd say it would sit around middle tier compared to the rest of the comp, with promising potential.
Good enough to upset some fancier midfields when 'on'.
It has some real quality, the kids will only get better with another pre-season. There is no guarantee that Gibbs will leave so he may even be included. We should be targeting a mid with some speed @ P3, it may be a little on the slow side otherwise. I'd say this midfield would comfortably sit in 6-8 range across the league. Add another young star next year with our first pick and Shiel via F/A in 2019 and it's a top 4 midfield easily.

If Ablett comes, I doubt they'll be payìng him much. Stringer would be given a fraction more than Motlop currently.

Lonergan and Mackie are moving on too aren't they?

Geelong are fantastic operators and invariably find a way to get these deals done. Getting Ablett and Stringer across (in terms of trade currency and cap room) should be no exception.
Cats are also losing Mackie and Lonergan.

Last edited:
"Carlton has emerged as the frontrunner in the race to lure Devon Smith, reports AFL.com.au's Nick Bowen"

(AFL FB page)
A goal kicking mid is exactly what we need. Would be very happy to add Dev Smith to our list.

We should be very excited by the Smith rumour, he is a jet who wants to play in the midfield and in any other side than GWS (or perhaps the Swans) he would be already
Pretty happy to get Smith onboard. Would play round 1 next year no problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe people are jumping off shache to quickly, not that I think we'll land him. Reminds me of how quickly people jumped off josh Kennedy when we was with us.
Sounds like Richmond are pretty keen on Schache. And they have two first rounders to play with.

It has some real quality, the kids will only get better with another pre-season. There is no guarantee that Gibbs will leave so he may even be included. We should be targeting a mid with some speed @ P3, it may be a little on the slow side otherwise. I'd say this midfield would comfortably sit in 6-8 range across the league. Add another young star next year with our first pick and Shiel via F/A in 2019 and it's a top 4 midfield easily.
Hopefully without a 16-18 forward line

Kennedy would help Cripps with the grunt work.
Rockliff would help releive losing Gibbs.
Smith is a bit of an unknown because of his knee but I think he'll be ok. I'm not expecting a lot from him to be honest.
Pick #3 will take a couple years.

So we'll be a little better off but not enough elite young talent imo. Now that Kelly has decided to stay, we must make Shiel the #1 priority in 2019.
What is absolutely known about Smith is he has missed 18 games the past 2 years with knee issues, I would hope these issues would be well and truly sorted out before went down this path.

Same.
Could be very very scary.
....only 2 of those at this point are first string forwards in other sides and one may have a bung knee but I get yourpoint re the potential. (2018 could see the emergence of this group ...+Kerr, Lebois also).

What is absolutely known about Smith is he has missed 18 games the past 2 years with knee issues, I would hope these issues would be well and truly sorted out before went down this path.

As I posted 2 weeks ago Devon has a knee issue which no surgery can fix. If we get him he probably plays 15/16 games max a year so i would hope we get him cheap.

As I posted 2 weeks ago Devon has a knee issue which no surgery can fix. If we get him he probably plays 15/16 games max a year so i would hope we get him cheap.

Maybe pick 17 (from Crows) would be enough for both Kennedy and Smith if that's the case...in which case it would be well worth it for us.

GWS pretty much have to ditch his $500k+ contract you would think to fit under the cap, media reports say he's being offered a contract by GWS but on less money than his current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back