Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The type of player Libba is, Yes. Everything else that goes with it, No
My initial thoughts when his name was first raised was no; because 1) Libba senior might create further heartache 2) media comments regarding his attitude were concerning.

After reading OR's post saying that club was comfortable, I changed my view and focussed solely on his football ability; I've no doubt about his footy ability.

I've seen posts alluding to other issues; however, I've not read or heard anything to substantiate any of those. CFC would be in a better position to evaluate; if they're comfortable, then personally I've no solid reason not to be.

However, each to their own.

My initial thoughts when his name was first raised was no; because 1) Libba senior might create further heartache 2) media comments regarding his attitude were concerning.

After reading OR's post saying that club was comfortable, I changed my view and focussed solely on his football ability; I've no doubt about his footy ability.

I've seen posts alluding to other issues; however, I've not read or heard anything to substantiate any of those. CFC would be in a better position to evaluate; if they're comfortable, then personally I've no solid reason not to be.

As I said previously if the club does it's proper due diligence and Russell checks out his knees and the club then thinks he is worth it then I'm all for it. Certainly helps fill a heap of areas we need filling

I agree to some extent, and I think this is why so many people assume there is more to come. We're a bit overconfident in our depth, rather than looking to build

It was the same in our last rebuild. We hit the draft pretty heavily for 3 years ('04 to 06) once the salary cap penalties were gone. In year 3, we traded out 3 decent assets for 1 (A+ level player) in the Judd trade. The following year we traded out a second round pick for Warnock. The following year we essentially swapped out Fev and a second round pick for Henderson, Brock McLean. In 2010 Grigg left and we traded out a second-roud pick for Laidler.

So after 'rebuilding' for 3 years, we starting giving up second round picks for older plodders and guys who never really came good, and key players started leaving. When we hit our peak in 2011 and 2012, we didn't have the depth - and as soon as we had some injuries, we fell apart (then blew it up and appointed Malthouse, and the rest is history)

This time around, we have hit the draft heavily for 3 years ('15-'17). In year 3, we traded out 3 decent assets for 1 B-grade player (McGovern). We've trade a future second for Setterfield.

To me, it is a bit of history repeating itself. I don't think our list is finished rebuilding. I guess part of the problem is balance - we still have a lot of old blokes hanging on who are good enough to displace young guys from the team, so if we have too many youngsters they won't get a game. Another part of the problem is our poor efforts recruiting mature-agers - they aren't providing much depth going forwrad.

But at this stage, if you project forward even 3 years its hard to see us having more than 15-18 players who can contribute to a finals team at that point. We need a bit more if this is all to pay off, or we'll end up 'thin' again when our time comes...

Not seeing it.

Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, Simpson
Williamson, Curnow, O'Brien
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dow
SPS, Curnow, Fisher
Fasolo, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Murphy, Kennedy, Setterfield, Walsh

Lamb, Rowe, Macreadie
Thomas, Schumacher, Thomas
Cuningham, Silvagni, Pickett
Lobbe, Kerridge, Polson
Lang, TDK, Garlett
Lebois,
Casboult, Kerr
I/C: Graham, McDaid, Phillips, ???, ???

I've got 4 players in our best 22 who we'd expect to taper off in the next few years.
We have 11 players outside the best 22 who I'd describe as "young, with upside". The level of upside varies, but they should all continue to improve.

Our depth will grow organically over the next few years. The guys in the second XXII will continue to improve. Whenever we bring in someone highly talented (trade, free agency, draft) the net result will be to push someone from the best 22 into the reserves, and one of the lower ranked reserves players off the list entirely. When someone in the reserves outperforms expectations, the net result will be someone previously considered "best 22" being dropped to the VFL.

The only think I'd really like to see between now and the end of the draft, is another two mature age players filling the last two spots. Whether it's Grigg, Bolton or Gibbons from the state leagues, or a Newman or Lonie who gets squeezed out of another list - as long as they're capable of stepping up and playing a solid role for a month if required, then we're OK short term while the kids develop.

and FFS, GWS, get your salary cap sorted after this off season.
Bullshit the mess they got themselves in for us to steal such a good young player as they got no more money to give a decent next contract.

They got to keep Taranto, Kelly, Coniglio, Bonar etc etc way more than just one year and lose another every year.

Am seriously happy to see Setterfield trade apparently done and going through - anything to do with GWS seems to be trickier than tricky and not done until it is done. Still thinking that Shiels trade may fall over and GWS outsmarting themselves twice over thinking Carlton pick#1 next year is < pick#9 essenDONE this year..... and I will LARF HARD at GWS .

What SOS suggested about pick#1 for this year being reserved for only serious overs - should be similar for next year's pick#1 - agree with other posters who have noted that Clubs are now looking to trade out players if they don't re-sign and before their last year of contract begins - means future picks become much more valuable going forward - GWS probably has one more year of keeping a lot of talent together - this time next yer is going to be Armageddon for them an dno flag.

People underestimating McGovern's potential positive impact on Carlton btw - by a long way - thought 2 seconds given his contractual status was cheap - whilst mooted second and McAdam would have been highway robbery.

With the Setterfield trade done and us trading out pick 43, I feel we have more things brewing. I don’t see SOS having pick 1 and then nothing until the 60s.

Furthermore, we must have a plan with these late picks as we wouldn’t have pushed for them otherwise, but what is it?

Could we still bring in a Murdoch or a Newman, state s there any late casualties out f the Tigers, there is more to come, I can feel it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His father's disgusting behaviour towards Carlton is enough reason I would think - sins of fathers and all that stuff....

As I said previously if the club does it's proper due diligence and Russell checks out his knees and the club then thinks he is worth it then I'm all for it. Certainly helps fill a heap of areas we need filling
Agree entirely

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
SOS will get Setterfield,
And then we're done, no chance we're trading pick 1 or next year's first, we'll simply draft Sam Walsh and and expect to improve greatly next year on the back of a better run with fitness and injuries combined with more experience and growth from our great core of young talent, ffs.

Still working on that last line, obviously.

Uh Ohhhhhhhhhhh, the trade involved a (future) second round pick - BUNKER DOWN FOLKSSSSS
What it means is if any club comes at us with an offer for our pick 1 and future 1st rounder they now know they also have to bring us another future second rounder to replace the one we just traded. We just sit back now and plan to take Walsh or wait for such a stupid good offer we accept with a future second rounder added. No real work for us to do, although would love to trade Jones or Casboult but doubt it going to happen.

Well done SOS!!! Setterfield is a super get.

I hear you. That's what freaked me out initially.

Kid can play but would have preferred Wallis myself....I think a fit Setterfield and Kennedy will be enough to cover for Cripps - not forgetting Dow will probably fill out a bit this pre-season and people say Walsh is ready to go....still one absolute gun midfielder short of being a scary side to play against....FU GWS.

Well done SOS. Patience pays - got your man.

2 soon to be elite mids (Walsh and Setterfield), and an A grade forward (McGovern) for an offseason, with an eye on Alex Woodward and Kieran Lovell as rookies. Quality not quantity as we top up best 22.

if only we can get Ciaran back now,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back