Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought Kennedy was comfortably our 2nd best mid once he got a run of games in the seniors. Strong on the ball, great tackler, and a very good mark. I think he showed plenty of reasons he could be a part of our midfield.

And how was he defensively?

I wonder whether we will seriously look at JSOS playing that second ruck role, at least against teams with average second rucks. Might be a problem against Melbourne with Jackson as number 2.

It solves the problem of fitting in the extra tall that we WANT playing, not HAVE to play. Better team balance IMO with Jack doing it.
Exactly!

I've thought for a while now - bout halfway through last year - that using Jack as a second ruck against opposition whose ruck division isn't strong, hoping to exploit them once the ball hits grass is almost a desirable outcome. He's big, he's strong, he's desperate and he's inside our best 3 players disposing inside forward 50. It means that we can tinker with an extra small or tall here and there depending on matchups and desire for pace/disposal/power.

I genuinely wouldn't be against doing it all the time and getting him to specialize in neutralizing opposition tap ruckman and getting the ball to hit vacant turf. If we plan for it, set for it, it gives us a viable stoppage plan B against any dominant ruckman comp wide.

Urban Meyer (Jacksonville jaguars coach and previous college football coaching legend) looks a hell of a lot like Steve Silvagni)

If Lewis Young had some huge potential as a key position backman dogs wouldn't let him go. They possibly have the worst KPB's in the league
He has a 2-year deal in front of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Walsh
2. Cripps
3. Cerra
?
5. Hewett
6. Kennedy/Martin/Setterfield

If one of Dow or Williams can cement themselves as the 4th genuine midfielder (20+ disposals a game), our midfield goes from worst in the league to mid-table, which is enough given our defence and forward threats.
4. Kennedy
5. Hewett
6. Dow
Rotations: Martin, Williams, Setterfield (depth at this point)

Having Dow 5th or 6th or so in the midfield pecking order will help his development no end...and take the pressure off him.

Those who pot Kennedy, love to see some comparisons between him and other 6th (in the pecking order) ranked mids in other teams.

As long as it's not the Dogs, Demons or Giants that argument probably stacks up pretty well with regards to Kennedy. If we have some luck with injury and natural development, Kennedy could well be in that 2nd string and rest forward which would be a good result for us given he stays fit and carries on with what we saw in the back half of this year :thumbsu:

Having Dow 5th or 6th or so in the midfield pecking order will help his development no end...and take the pressure off him.

Those who pot Kennedy, love to see some comparisons between him and other 6th (in the pecking order) ranked mids in other teams.
My issue with Dow is the lack of second position. It's on ball or bench.

I know he's a burst player, but spending so much time on bench means others need to pick up the slack.

The positives don't outweigh the negatives. Yet.

I am hopeful that this changes this year, with better systems and less being caught out of position.

Talent wise, Midfield group is better than mid-table with Cerra, Hewett and the further emergence of Dow if it happens. It’s also youthful enough that we have time to see it flourish. It’s the development, structure at the stoppage and want to work two ways with defensive pressure that has kept us below or at mid table. Wouldn’t worry about the names we have anymore, they’re there. It’s how it’s being encouraged, moulded and taught to do what it needs to do with the tools they have.

1. Walsh
2. Cripps
3. Cerra
?
5. Hewett
6. Kennedy/Martin/Setterfield

If one of Dow or Williams can cement themselves as the 4th genuine midfielder (20+ disposals a game), our midfield goes from worst in the league to mid-table, which is enough given our defence and forward threats.

If Hewett's #5 in any team's midfield, that team is a top 4 midfield.

Talent wise, Midfield group is better than mid-table with Cerra, Hewett and the further emergence of Dow if it happens. It’s also youthful enough that we have time to see it flourish. It’s the development, structure at the stoppage and want to work two ways with defensive pressure that has kept us below or at mid table. Wouldn’t worry about the names we have anymore, they’re there. It’s how it’s being encouraged, moulded and taught to do what it needs to do with the tools they have.

This...

So I am led to believe.

I've only seen it mentioned here. Haven't seen a source to confirm. Then again, I also haven't specially looked either.

Yes reverted to a Minimum 3 selections

Can be draft selections, rookie upgrades, PSD selections Mitch Cleary (AFL mouthpiece) was talking about it the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back