Box Hill gets approval for McEvoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I cannot understand how this could be allowed.

Ben McEvoy is being allowed to play for Box Hill and Ryan Schoenmakers in the VFL young guns, despite both not having qualified to play week and in the case of McEvoy, to the detriment of Williamstown, with AFL Victoria citing the General Manager has discretion as to who can play.

Surely this can't be right or fair or justified.

I barrack for Williamstown and i am disgusted that this has been permitted to happen.

What is the point of having rules and regulations if those set rules are going to be over turned, it's not fair and if we go down to Box Hill on the weekend i will be fuming, we'll probably loose anyway but i'd rather loose in a 'fair' contest.

I don't barrack for Williamstown and I think it's an absolute disgrace.

Like you said darthsidusfan what's the point of having rules if certain clubs or players can break them as it suits them? Not only is it unfair on Willy, it also gives Hawthorn a potential advantage by continuing to allow McEvoy to play where in the past he would have had to miss a week.

What a monumental utensil up by AFL Victoria, they need to take a good hard look at themselves and the integrity of the VFL.

And here I was thinking only the WAFL could make utensil ups like this. :drunk: I am relieved. :oops:

Ridiculous to say the least. The way Curry described to outcome of their appeal yesterday on SEN just makes it all the more laughable. If it's not bad enough that stand alone clubs have to compete against teams playing to another salary cap, the "rules" in place to "equalise" the gap are ignored and bastardised.
While it's happened for quite a while in the VFL, the advent of AFL reserve teams bastardising the SANFL and WAFL is killing the integrity of state football competitions. It doesn't seem right that the AFL is so hot on their franchises breaking the salary cap, tanking and draft tampering in the AFL yet demand that all these foundations of integrity be ignored and manipulated in the state leagues. As long as it's good for the AFL everything else can go f*** itself! Great way for the self imposed custodians of the game to treat other areas of the sport.
It's time that the state leagues told the AFL to f*** off.

Agree. I'd be more than happy for traditional VFL, SANFL and WAFL non AFL teams to start up closer ties and play each other in a mini comp. I doubt it will happen though. The people running them are far to reliant on AFL money and it's wishes.
In my mind these AFL teams shouldn't be playing finals in state comps.

Highlights it's time to have VFL for the AFL and bring back the VFA. This is making a joke of a great competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't really watch the grand final, box hill handed a free pass. The sooner AFL gets out of the VFL the better

Can't really watch the grand final, box hill handed a free pass. The sooner AFL gets out of the VFL the better
The VFL is now as equally compromised as what the AFL competition is.

The decision to allow McEvoy to play was made for the benefit of the Box Hill Hawks & Hawthorn Football Clubs. It had nothing to do with the best interests of the VFL. You might as well remove the VFL's management & just let the AFL run the whole shebang.

An absolutely farcical decision by the VFL.

I cannot understand how this has been allowed to happen it is simply cheating. Williamstown should be playing the doggies next Sunday, now they are talking about playing Suckling, Rioli and shoemakers against Footscray.

I cannot understand how this has been allowed to happen it is simply cheating. Williamstown should be playing the doggies next Sunday, now they are talking about playing Suckling, Rioli and shoemakers against Footscray.
Suckling can't possibly qualify. Schoenclangers-might just miss qualifying but they can change the rules again. Rioli is eligible isn't he but can't imagine it. Who is talking about it-someone on BF or an official person?

Suckling can't possibly qualify. Schoenclangers-might just miss qualifying but they can change the rules again. Rioli is eligible isn't he but can't imagine it. Who is talking about it-someone on BF or an official person?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-14/big-boy-puts-his-hand-up

"We could even play Rioli in the VFL next week if we wanted to give him a hit-out. We can do that because both teams are playing next week so we can do what we like."

I really don't understand the vitriol here, especially before the game.

McEvoy was already playing in the VFL the last month - Hawthorn hadn't dropped him.

Hawthorn are still playing finals. The wording of the rule simply needs elaboration.

There shouldn't have needed to be any appeal, indeed the same should have applied for Suckling, Schoenmakers and even Rioli (not played since July 1) - or any other HFC player not playing for Hawthorn.

If Hawthorn were to drop Ceglar, simply to try and win Box Hill the game, whilst it would fit the "rules", it would have been unfair to Williamstown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back