News Box Hill season 2022 news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lachie Wynd is the son of Stuart Wynd that played for the Hawks under 19s / Reserves in the late 1980 so has a Hawks connection. Lachie played in the Box Hill scratch match with Carlton and the Kangaroos last year during the bye weekend. Sam Mitchell was pretty impressed with him.

Think you'll find Lachies grandfather played a few games for Hawthorn during the mid 60's

Shame about Killer - should have got more recognition for his influence at VFL level and at times significantly more game time .

As for this coming season, important we resign Greene, Porter, Deluca and Phillips. And just quietly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks rookie Greene after the season he had.

And without having any insider knowledge, i'm going to guess on of our first off-season signings is going to be Joel Garner recently delisted by the Power.

Joel Garner looks as if he will be plating for Footscray and Chayce Black will be playing local footy.

Local Footy: Ex-Port Adelaide defender Joel Garner links with Wandin
Former Port Adelaide back Joel Garner has returned to Wandin where it all began, as he sets his sights on another shot at the big-time.

Daniel Cencic

Follow

@DanCencic

2 min read

December 13, 2021 - 4:15PM

He’s back where it all began.
Ex-Port Adelaide defender Joel Garner has landed in Melbourne’s suburban football scene, linking with Outer East top division club Wandin where he played as a junior.

He’ll pull on the Wandin guernsey when not in the VFL next season, having also linked with Footscray as he chases a second crack at the AFL dream.

The former Eastern Ranges talent and ex-Vic Metro skipper spent four years at Alberton Oval after his pick No. 60 selection at the 2017 national draft. He played four matches across 2018 to 2021 before he was delisted at the end of this season.

Wandin senior coach Nick Adam said the club had been bullish about securing the 22-year-old’s signature, who also played underage footy with Scotch College and would have attracted plenty of interest from local clubs.

“Once the AFL (delisting) and the draft had occurred, we were really confident that he was going to prioritise Wandin over other local clubs and it was just how that fitted in with VFL footy,” Adam said.

“He’s wearing a Bulldogs jumper all year no matter what side he’s playing for.”

Garner never forgot where he came from according to Adam, even after relocating interstate to play for the Power.

“We’d see him regularly, particularly at the juniors,” Adam said.

“He’s grown up playing at the football club and his future father-in-law has been heavily involved in the junior club as well.

“Whenever Joel was in Melbourne, it would be odd not to see him up at Clegg Rd at some point over the course of that weekend.”

Adam has no doubts that the ex-AFL defender will be one of the best talents running around in the Outer East competition next season.

“He’s going back to VFL with the mindset that he wants to put his best foot forward to get redrafted,” Adam said.

“But he’s a really professional athlete and he’s going into 2022 with that (professional) mindset, so when we get him it’s of benefit to us as he’s going to be one of the better footballers in the competition.”

It’s been a busy off-season of recruiting for the Bulldogs.

They recently secured Garner’s brother, Todd, a former Eastern Ranges on-baller and junior product of Wandin.

They’ve also signed one-time Sydney Swans rookie Cody Hirst and ex-VFL on-baller Chayce Black.

Hirst will play with the Bulldogs when Carlton VFL commitments permit, while Black has joined full-time, after a stint with Box Hill and Eastern league Premier Division club Rowville.

Hirst’s brother Daniel is a premiership player at Wandin, while Black’s grandfather is a stalwart of the club.

The Bulldogs finished eighth this season with a 1-7 record, and Adam admitted they needed to go out and recruit – but said the added bonus was having all of them already heavily invested in the club.

“We were really conscious that we needed to improve our list and we’ve been able to add some really good footballers,” he said.

“While we’ve been able to bring good footballers to the club, there’s been a connection with them all.”

I agree it would be great if Hawthorn / Box Hill provided player profiles when the list is finalised. Richmond have listed 34 players however the VFL rules below state AFL clubs will again have 30 players on their lists. The only ex AFL player listed is Lachlan Johnson. Another player of interest is Will Bravo who trained at Hawthorn last year for the pre-season draft and it was previously reported he had interest from WA.

I think our VFL list will be far stronger especially if there are no additions to the players listed by Richmond. 2022 is shaping up as an extremely exciting development year.

"AFL and aligned clubs will again have 30 players on their lists, but the number of development players required has been reduced from 18 to 15 and the primary list increased from 12 to 15, again creating extra opportunities for experienced players to join or stay in the competition.

The VFL standalone list size of 28 primary and 12 development-listed players for a total of 40 remains in place.

Indigenous players who have yet to make their VFL debuts can now also be signed as Category B development players."

Wish Ben Cavarra nothing but the best it was a shame it never worked out with us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is this fella? I've not heard of him before.
Another kid who’s won the league B&F but overlooked by clubs because of his height.

Has there been any news on Brock Smith or just completely wide of the mark?
Not wide of the mark but no signing. Same with Cory Preston. Trent Mynott was very highly rated however given the players drafted by Hawthorn his midfield time would likely be limited so in his best interests he has signed with Frankston. Kilpatrick and Mynott will be missed while Deluca missed a lot of football due to injury. Cavarra, Parsons and Thorpe are strong experienced replacements and I've confirmed Mason DeWitt has resigned.
My initial thoughts are given the quality of the BHH recruits the VFL list will be stronger plus with the development of the young Hawthorn players and the quality of the drafted players, we can look forward to a very good season.
Edit: Resigned to play at the BHH in 2022.

Last edited:
Not wide of the mark but no signing. Same with Cory Preston. Trent Mynott was very highly rated however given the players drafted by Hawthorn his midfield time would likely be limited so in his best interests he has signed with Frankston. Kilpatrick and Mynott will be missed while Deluca missed a lot of football due to injury. Cavarra, Parsons and Thorpe are strong experienced replacements and I've confirmed Mason DeWitt has resigned.
My initial thoughts are given the quality of the BHH recruits the VFL list will be stronger plus with the development of the young Hawthorn players and the quality of the drafted players, we can look forward to a very good season.
Edit: Resigned to play at the BHH in 2022.

Casey looks the likely destination for Brock Smith. With a strong Melbourne squad and the additions of Buntine and Smith Casey look a serious threat

Brock Smith (delisted) – TBC, but likely to play in the VFL and has been linked to the Casey Demons.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Flynn Lakey goes. Real hard at it and great handball skills. He stands out because he is small, continually gets the ball and feeds it out. He also has red hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back