Brad Scott's overarching legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

I lay the blame at the feet of previous administrations and the team that crafted the list, in particular the lost years of top ups, rejects and speculative picks out of Queensland. Even just one or two more of those players drafted in that time come on from that period and we would have a significantly better list profile. I think we can move on from Scott, who insisted in his last year we should rebuild. We then hired a new coach and whilst I understand the financial reasoning behind it, left him one out with lazy senior assistant coach, no line coaches and a putrid list in the hub. At least the decision has been made now to rebuild properly. I'd like to see us invest in some keys both end of the ground now.

He was in it for himself , nothing else mattered but him. He was well above his station on all things football .
Near destroyed us .
I will never forget or forgive Scott. Worst ten year coach the AFL / VFL has seen . No other club was interested in getting him .
A shitmen of the highest order . Will coach our shitmen team of the century .

If we nailed our 2016 & 2017 2nd round draft picks. Those guys would be in their prime now.
Alas we screwed them up, especially looking at the players taken after our selections
In 2015 we took Ryan Clarke and Mitch Hibberd at 31 and 33.

Guys like Mathieson, Bonner, Bailey Wuilliams and Hardwick all went later in that draft. But that's about it.

Ryan Clarke ... he had plenty of endurance, could find the ball but was a soft cat with poor skills. If he'd turned into a Sam Gibbo replacement like we hoped even with Gibbo's kicking then right now that would be a huge help. I guess its on him really. Had some talent but didn't make the most of it.

One thing we could do with right now would be a half decent older players from State Leagues and older blokes/FAs from the AFL on the cheap. That was one thing Scotts' list management team did okay with - Gibbo, Higgo, W8, Scott Thompson.

We were out of debt, made 45k+ members and just outside of the 8 when he left.

In the space of 3 years the admin has thrown the baby out with the bathwater in the hope that age demographic and high draft picks will get us back. In doing so our competitive culture is out the window. Just because you see a few players get upset on the field doesn't mean the team is competitive.

When will ppl critically think for themselves, stop being so lazy and blaming it on Brad Scott. Brad Scott and the admin we had from 2009-2015 did a hell of a lot more than Noble and the current admin will ever get done, I doubt they'll even last 7 years anyway.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My biggest issue under Scott (other than continually playing spuds that we finally delisted in 2020), was our laziness.

Those years in 2014-15 should absolutely have been top 4 regular season finishes. We beat all the top teams but continually dropped games against inferior opposition. The group only turned up when they felt like it, and that falls on the coach failing to motivate or discipline them.

It was an ongoing issue that never got addressed and we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be.

Last edited:

In the space of 3 years the admin has thrown the baby out with the bathwater in the hope that age demographic and high draft picks will get us back. In doing so our competitive culture is out the window. Just because you see a few players get upset on the field doesn't mean the team is competitive.

When will ppl critically think for themselves, stop being so lazy and blaming it on Brad Scott. Brad Scott and the admin we had from 2009-2015 did a hell of a lot more than Noble and the current admin will ever get done, I doubt they'll even last 7 years anyway.

We had 40000 members when he actually left, more came almost immediately. We had won two of nine games when he got sacked, and only just missed the eight cos another coach was in charge and turned our season around.

Both seasons besides 2020, covid's year, had more members that every year under Scott after we sacked Boomer including his last year.

As for the rest of it - time will tell.

We had 40000 members when he actually left, more came almost immediately. We had won two of nine games when he got sacked, and only just missed the eight cos another coach was in charge and turned our season around.

Both seasons besides 2020, covid's year, had more members that every year under Scott after we sacked Boomer including his last year.

As for the rest of it - time will tell.
yes but we had made a record number during the more successful years, 45k+ i believe. shaw did not change the game plan, the players got a kick up the arse seeing Scott getting the sack and pulled their fingers out for the rest of 2019, SURELY if we're all blaming Scott NOW you can't ignore the fact we just missed finals in 2019.

we may have more members after he left due to a fresh new faced marketing campaign, but unless we see some actual improvement that shine will fade fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was in it for himself , nothing else mattered but him. He was well above his station on all things football .
Near destroyed us .
I will never forget or forgive Scott. Worst ten year coach the AFL / VFL has seen . No other club was interested in getting him .
A shitmen of the highest order . Will coach our shitmen team of the century .
You’ve given me a thread idea.

yes but we had made a record number during the more successful years, 45k+ i believe. shaw did not change the game plan, the players got a kick up the arse seeing Scott getting the sack and pulled their fingers out for the rest of 2019, SURELY if we're all blaming Scott NOW you can't ignore the fact we just missed finals in 2019.

we may have more members after he left due to a fresh new faced marketing campaign, but unless we see some actual improvement that shine will fade fast.
Yeah but... the reality is he was an okay coach who had some real flaws and by the time he left our list was in the sort of shape where if we got lucky we had a two year window for finals and the chance at doing okay. We were obviously never fit enough and never mentally switched on enough. We didn't work hard enough or courageously enough and we didn't believe in ourselves. In 2019 his side played well enough to make finals, but only under a different coach!!!

Its not as simple as "Scott bad, new team good" but the difference between us and Hawthorn is the amount of change we've had to generate when we changed coaches. Most of the list, the entire footy department (except Brown who may go soon anyway.) Hawthorn have changed the coach and a few players.

You’ve given me a thread idea.
Well Dan I planned on starting the STOTC at seasons end.

It will be thrown open to posters to submit and decide on the side.

There will only be one coaching option though. There will be a few KPI's that should assist with nominations. It has been two years in the making and a rather prestigious award.

Darren Ogier could well be CHF- we paid 50K for him and 50K back then prolly equivalent to 300,000,000 in todays money :p

Yeah but... the reality is he was an okay coach who had some real flaws and by the time he left our list was in the sort of shape where if we got lucky we had a two year window for finals and the chance at doing okay. We were obviously never fit enough and never mentally switched on enough. We didn't work hard enough or courageously enough and we didn't believe in ourselves. In 2019 his side played well enough to make finals, but only under a different coach!!!

Its not as simple as "Scott bad, new team good" but the difference between us and Hawthorn is the amount of change we've had to generate when we changed coaches. Most of the list, the entire footy department (except Brown who may go soon anyway.) Hawthorn have changed the coach and a few players.

Never fit enough? huh? after 2013 and losing a heap of games in the last quarter by a few points we became one of the fittest teams in the comp in 2014, i remember won a heap of games after being behind for most of the game.

Switch on, courageous and not believing in ourselves??? hell of a lot more switch on, courageous and self belief than now! the only one showing some heart is a first year player ffs. no doubt that'll be coached out of him soon.

The team played no better and no different for the rest of the 2019 year. you're picking and choosing what's scott's fault.

....and like hawthorn if north changed over to a coach they did their due diligence on, and changed a few players they wouldn't be so terrible either. i don't know why you're pointing to hawthorn, their rebuild is far from proven.

My biggest issue under Scott (other than continually playing spuds that we finally delisted in 2020), was our laziness.

Those years in 2014-15 should absolutely have been top 4 regular season finishes. We beat all the top teams but continually dropped games against inferior opposition. The group only turned up when they felt like it, and that falls on the coach failing to motivate or discipline them.

It was an ongoing issue that never got addressed and we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be.
In 2014 we literally beat every other top 8 team

Well Dan I planned on starting the STOTC at seasons end.

It will be thrown open to posters to submit and decide on the side.

There will only be one coaching option though. There will be a few KPI's that should assist with nominations. It has been two years in the making and a rather prestigious award.

Darren Ogier could well be CHF- we paid 50K for him and 50K back then prolly equivalent to 300,000,000 in todays money :p
I won’t steal your lunch…..you start it and everyone else can critique and do their own team.

Yes they did do a lot more…… they left a massive s**t smear on their way out the door.

I’m not a Noble fan, but if Brad Scott had done his job, then Noble wouldn’t be eating the massive s**t sandwich which Brad and his team made with their inept drafting, development and topping up with shitmen.

All Noble has done for the minute is cut that s**t sandwich in half and started munching away.

By no means does this mean Noble and his team are off the hook, they aren’t faring much better. But thinking that this mess wasn’t created by Scott is just being ignorant.

Yes they did do a lot more…… they left a massive s**t smear on their way out the door.

I’m not a Noble fan, but if Brad Scott had done his job, then Noble wouldn’t be eating the massive s**t sandwich which Brad and his team made with their inept drafting, development and topping up with shitmen.

All Noble has done for the minute is cut that s**t sandwich in half and started munching away.

By no means does this mean Noble and his team are off the hook, they aren’t faring much better. But thinking that this mess wasn’t created by Scott is just being ignorant.
mate Scott and the previous admin got north out of the s**t sandwich of a hole north were in, made us profitable, got rid of the debt and made a record number of members. if it weren't for them Noble and the current admin wouldn't have the ability to cut half of the list to "do the rebuild properly" and have demoralising losses every week and no improvement.

If the previous admin never topped up with 'shitmen' we wouldn't have made the 2014/15 prelims, and this was primarily because north never had access to top teir talent when they rebuilt due to the compromised drafts.

the first round picks under Scott in uncompromised drafts were Mcdonald, Durdin, Mckay (part of Anderson trade), Simpkin, LDU, Thomas....other than Durdin they seemed to develop very well, where was his ignorance? after 2017 six of the best and oldest players had been cut/retired, remaining to play some of the more experienced players keeps the culture and ability to be competitive, just playing all the kids results in demoralising losses and an noncompetitive culture.

mate Scott and the previous admin got north out of the s**t sandwich of a hole north were in, made us profitable, got rid of the debt and made a record number of members. if it weren't for them Noble and the current admin wouldn't have the ability to cut half of the list to "do the rebuild properly" and have demoralising losses every week and no improvement.

If the previous admin never topped up with 'shitmen' we wouldn't have made the 2014/15 prelims, and this was primarily because north never had access to top teir talent when they rebuilt due to the compromised drafts.

the first round picks under Scott in uncompromised drafts were Mcdonald, Durdin, Mckay (part of Anderson trade), Simpkin, LDU, Thomas....other than Durdin they seemed to develop very well, where was his ignorance? after 2017 six of the best and oldest players had been cut/retired, remaining to play some of the more experienced players keeps the culture and ability to be competitive, just playing all the kids results in demoralising losses and an noncompetitive culture.
The issue is not before 2014/2015 - I'm of the view that like it or not the expansion clubs gave us close to zero chance of pinching a flag unless everything went perfectly. A JWS without ankle injury could have been the simple sliding door difference IMO.

It is after 2015-16 that the they do need to take full responsibility. Decisions were made there that were not consistent. We had the guts to cut some stalwarts but then happily gave them a farewell tour whilst we got obliterated in a final. We barely played Daw all year then he was amongst our best in that same poor final (and went on to have a cracking year a season or so later). Brad and his match committee were simply too conservative at selection and failed to recruit or select good young players during this period and this is a big part of the reason we have a team led by a Captain that we are finding roles to justify his selection and a midfield led by a 80 odd kg 24 year old. It's not about playing only kids it's about playing the replacements for players that were closer to the end (or delisting) than not. We simply didn't do it and we didn't find replacements even for role players which is why we have such a cavernous gap between Simpkin and the older players in the 22. We left it too late now we have to do it extra hard.

Nah I think it needs to be a group think. It will be a brutal thread, with plenty of upset campaigners and abuse following freely.

Just like the good old days :p
anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back