Brendan Taylor quits Zimbabwe for county cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Barring off field issues they could have fielded this hypothetical XI for this world cup.

Not even going to include Sean Ervine but I will include Taibu and Cremer (decided to become a missionary and a golfer respectively)

1. Hamilton Masakadza
2. Sikander Raza
3. Garry Ballance
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Sean Williams
6. Craig Ervine
7. Tatenda Taibu+
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Kyle Jarvis
10. Tendai Chatara
11. Tinashe Panyangara

12. Elton Chigumbura
13. Solomon Mire
14. Vusi Sibanda
15. Tawanda Mupariwa

Ray Price would be in his mid-late 30's but would still be their best spinner.

Does he play IPL? Surely he'd be able to cash in from enough Mickey Mouse cricket to have some money in the bank while representing his home country? A real shame, the reemergence of a competitive Zimbabwe has been the highlight of the WC so far for me.

Does he play IPL? Surely he'd be able to cash in from enough Mickey Mouse cricket to have some money in the bank while representing his home country? A real shame, the reemergence of a competitive Zimbabwe has been the highlight of the WC so far for me.

Had a contract but didn't have a lot of gametime.

To be honest, it isn't like they have re-emerged as being competitive, they have been decent for a while now but simply haven't had enough cricket to work on deficiencies of the game and prove themselves. They are on the world stage and showing how good they are- but it's crazy to think how good they would be if they had Meth, Ballance and Jarvis this tournament.

Maybe the ICC should step in and provide contracts/salaries for key players in the emerging/developing countries such as Zimbabwe. Surely it is better for the world games for blokes like Taylor to be able to continue to stay and play for their country rather than have to give that up,to make a living in domestic cricket somewhere else. God knows they have enough cash to do it

Maybe the ICC should step in and provide contracts/salaries for key players in the emerging/developing countries such as Zimbabwe. Surely it is better for the world games for blokes like Taylor to be able to continue to stay and play for their country rather than have to give that up,to make a living in domestic cricket somewhere else. God knows they have enough cash to do it

Too busy giving all the money back to the big three.

Yeah...sort of my point. Are they genuinely interested in growing the game or just ensuring the big 3 are looked after

Well, a lot of people in the ICC do care about growing the game, but they're not the ones with the power. The top administrators only care about themselves.

Just watched some footage of his innings and the respect shown to him when he was dismissed was wonderful to see. He should not be lost to Zimbabwe cricket....but cannot blame the bloke for looking after his family obviously

Ended up with a pretty solid international record

Taylor.jpg

9th Highest Run scorer for Zimbabwe in tests. Of the eight players ahead of him, only Andy Flower has a higher batting average and all eight have played more tests.
Was Captain in 13 of his 23 tests and has the best win percentage of any Zimbabwean test Captain.
One of four Zimbabweans to score over 5000 runs in ODIs and only the Flower brothers scored more ODI runs than Taylor. Scored the most ODI centuries by a Zimbabwean batsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will probably happen is a fight between his leading henchmen, resulting in either a new long term dictator of equal brutality or complete disintegration of the nation.

I cannot see any of Mugabe's henchmen following in his footsteps successfully - the era of the 'big man' has pretty much ended. He is the last vestige.

Who knows what will happen when Mugabe dies.

Genuinely don't understand how he's still alive TBH.

Average male life expectancy in Zimbabwe is 53 years. He is 91. I know he's not an "average" person, and would no doubt get the best of everything (medical care, etc.) relative to the people he rules over, but still, odds would have had him die long ago of natural causes, or even been killed by someone by now.

Strangely physically enduring, like Nelson Mandela was.

Jones and Prior have strong international backgrounds as well. It's a big shame that Kieswetter career is being threatened by his eye injury. He wasn't a classical keeper, but showed plenty of promise with the bat (albeit not to the extent of being prolific in county cricket). I know that Bairstow was selected as a wicket-keeper out of convenience, but they would have been better off trying a guy more comfortable in the role like Kiewetter or Steve Davies when they had the chance. It's pretty clear that Bairstow's future is as a batsman only, playing him as a keeper would be like us doing the same with Phi Hughes (RIP) - stuffing around with a young cricketer trying to turn them into something they have little hope of becoming for the sake of a quick fix.

Hasn't Bairstow the regular wicketkeeper for Yorkshire for a fair while now, though?

Three years may also be enough for Robert Mugabe to depart. Theoretically, that may be the beginning of the revival of cricket in Zimbabwe, although it will probably take at least another decade for the web around him to disintegrate.

Zimbabwe certainly got a good raw talent pool of cricketers but their nation is screwed in general sadly, and look like being a basket case whilst things never change much there. They actually had a good team at 1999 World Cup from memory but it soon amounted to nothing because of trouble in their country meant the good cricketers took up offers of calmer cultures to play cricket in other places.
It just always seems like 1 step forward and 3 steps back because of troubles over there. Amazing that guys with talent of Taylor and Williams still pop up from time to time. Just shows at the raw level their youngsters with decent coaches can still become world class level players. Problem is they will tend to leave which I do not blame them at all.

Solomon Mire essentially plays cricket in Australia already and think he got hired by Zimbabwe for this tournament but suspect he does not go back there to live. I seem to recall a Murray Goodwin who was a bit better being a regular state level cricketer for WA a decade or so ago.
Not sure Solomon is much more than a decent hitting T20 player. Not even sure if he played more than one game for Renegades this last Big Bash season.

Zimbabwe certainly got a good raw talent pool of cricketers but their nation is screwed in general sadly, and look like being a basket case whilst things never change much there. They actually had a good team at 1999 World Cup from memory but it soon amounted to nothing because of trouble in their country meant the good cricketers took up offers of calmer cultures to play cricket in other places.
It just always seems like 1 step forward and 3 steps back because of troubles over there. Amazing that guys with talent of Taylor and Williams still pop up from time to time. Just shows at the raw level their youngsters with decent coaches can still become world class level players. Problem is they will tend to leave which I do not blame them at all.

Solomon Mire essentially plays cricket in Australia already and think he got hired by Zimbabwe for this tournament but suspect he does not go back there to live. I seem to recall a Murray Goodwin who was a bit better being a regular state level cricketer for WA a decade or so ago.
Not sure Solomon is much more than a decent hitting T20 player. Not even sure if he played more than one game for Renegades this last Big Bash season.

Goodwin was a gun domestic cricketer, both here and in county cricket. Only just retired too.

Hasn't Bairstow the regular wicketkeeper for Yorkshire for a fair while now, though?

Yeah, apologies you're right there. They used him as keeper all this year and they took him to South Africa with the Lions as the number one. Seem to remember him starting off early in his first class career without the gloves though. Will do some research.

Genuinely don't understand how he's still alive TBH.

Average male life expectancy in Zimbabwe is 53 years. He is 91. I know he's not an "average" person, and would no doubt get the best of everything (medical care, etc.) relative to the people he rules over, but still, odds would have had him die long ago of natural causes, or even been killed by someone by now.

Only the good die young. Mugabe and my Nanna are two examples of this.

I cannot see any of Mugabe's henchmen following in his footsteps successfully - the era of the 'big man' has pretty much ended. He is the last vestige.
If that's true, and I'm not so sure the "big man" has disappeared from Africa (or North Korea, or Russia assuming Putin is alive) then what will follow could well be a 1980s style Ethiopian war. It would probably not be as horrific as Zimbabwe isn't likely to be it with the same famine inducing conditions on the same scale and length as Ethiopia (now Ethopia and Eritea). Sadly, somone only slightly better than Mugabe is the best realistic result for Zimbabwe. Anyone much weaker will be removed very quickly, and a protracted fight would tear the country to shreds (a bit like post-invasion Iraq, the bastard who was in charge was a high order bastard but removing his influence just added instability to go with the brutality).

Don't expect any of the attempted leaders to recognise any democratic process that goes against them, and don't expect any democratic process to be free and fair. Zimbabwe, at best, is decades from working like that. And certainly don't expect the African Union to step in, it sets too dangerous a precedent for too many leaders. Plus Zanu PF is aligned with the ANC, itself having become a source of corruption and hatred after Mandela stepped down.

Its personal opinion and I desparately hope I'm wrong. Africa needs more beacons of hope, and Zimbabwe could be that if the leaders allow it. The only good thing that has come out of the second phase of the Mugabe regime is that Mozambique, thanks largely to agricultural know-how and capital leaving Zimbabwe, became able to feed itself for the first time since nationhood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back