Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Great interview ...

... Seems quite switched on and confident ...

... Good to hear more than just the standard cliches.

I'm going early - The Big Show is a keeper :)

I just found an interesting article about him.
He quit U18 football and went home to look after his mother who was diagnosed with Cancer.
His uncle is the Famous Postcard Bandit:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25684656/pies-punt-on-reformed-abbott/

It is ironic that ex Carlton player Luke Blackwell highly recommended Abbott.
Lucky the peanuts he played for in the AFL did not listen :)
He said that Abbott has the ability to be an elite AFL Footballer.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25325751/abbott-a-prime-draft-prospect-blackwell/

I don't usually pump anyone up, but this kid could be anything as seen on the weekend.

Watching he third qtr of the VFL, Abbott and Moore you could say are almost AFL ready. I'd love to see them get a chance, perhaps play them against Carlton, cause we'd still beat them by 10 goals even with our reserves side in anyway.
If we played Mr. Show against Carlton they would lose by so much it would force them to immediately disband their football club permanently.

Looks like he could be the freakish, but incredibly inconsistent type.

Don't see the inconsistency in his games I've seen. If the ball is anywhere near him he appears likely to win it or hurt an opponent with a ferocious tackle.

Suggested after the game in Bendigo Against the Cats that he was a possible left field inclusion as a sub. Still hold to that view and if he can get a good run of consecutive games he'll certainly promote his cause. Very exciting prospect.

I've been on a liking spree. Haven't been this excited since...since...about 6 or 7 weeks ago when I saw De Goey playing in the twos. Derek Hine is so kind to us.:D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I liked in his interview when asked if that was his best game for the club, he said I haven't been here long, so yes.
A sign of things to come by the sounds of it:)

Last edited:
The thing I kicked in his interview when asked if that was his best game fir the club, he said I haven't been here long so yes.
A sign of things to come by the sounds of it:)

Anzacday, your auto-correct may be getting the better of you.:rolleyes:

How is his fitness? I think that was the biggest concern when he got drafted, so how has he look in the VFL in terms of running out games, etc.

While this would normally be a reasonable question, for typical footballers, does it have to apply to the Big Show?

Surely Luke Hodge is the comparison?
Hodge is 185cm & 90kg, Abbott is 186cm & 92kg.
Both have a beautiful thumping left foot and a smooth kicking technique.

Surely Luke Hodge is the comparison?
Hodge is 185cm & 90kg, Abbott is 186cm & 92kg.
Both have a beautiful thumping left foot and a smooth kicking technique.

Don't know that Hodgy has ever been described as quick but playing style and hardness comparison is good.

I still keep coming back to Darren Millane. And while his fitness base restricts him to playing forward at the moment think he'll provide far more options with another preseason or 2 under his belt.

Don't know that Hodgy has ever been described as quick but playing style and hardness comparison is good.

I still keep coming back to Darren Millane. And while his fitness base restricts him to playing forward at the moment think he'll provide far more options with another preseason or 2 under his belt.
Doesn't really play like either of them.

Crameri is a better example.

Doesn't really play like either of them.

Crameri is a better example.

Time will tell. Used Crameri as a current player comparison myself but I'm happy to stand by the Millane comparison of comparable pies player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back