Retired Brent Staker (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I wouldn't have cared if he left after seeing that. Really had a huge amount of respect for Staker before that. Now, not so much. With all the injuries he has had over the years you can understand why he was looking for the best deal to help support his future. But you don't say that stuff in an interview after re-signing with a club. It's just very unprofessional.
It's disappointing because it seemed like he was a 'here at all costs' type post-injury. Guess we can see now why the club played hardball with him and fair enough, too.

^^not super impressed by that interview tbh.
Me too..We looked after him pretty well.Poor choice of words there Stakes.. Would have been nice to say you are happy to be here and appreciate the club sticking by you for 2 years of rehab.

I guess the response above is why players should avoid giving honest answers.

Yeah, I thought he was at least being honest about looking around, it's his future he has to look after. Wouldn't be surprised if the two year deal is a one plus depending on ........

I guess the response above is why players should avoid giving honest answers.

People complain about footballers never speaking their mind.
People complain about footballers speaking their mind.

It's just Brent was talking about our club, whereas Pearce was talking about those who've left the club.

I wonder how it would look if the club come out and supposedly spoke truthfully and said;
"Yeah we shopped Brent around, we tested the market, but realy no one gave a glimmer of interest for a 29 year old with wonky knees and tenuous hold on his position within our best 25. Therefore, we cut his contract to bare minimum and told him take it or leave it. We do that with all 29 year old players at our club, we'll do that with Rich, Rocky and Redden when they are nearing their 29th."

No matter how we try to massage Staker's interview, it is not a good impression that he gave.
I thought the club was exemplary in his support post ACL recovery and even gave him the opportunity to begin a coaching career for his post retirement by including him in the seconds coaching structure. IMO the club could not have treated him any better. We supporters and the club did not deserve to read that sort of s**t coming from his mouth under the current circumstances from a senior, experienced member of the team.
Very poor form. Respect lost.

To be honest, I really don't have a problem with Staker's interview. I'd have expected a 29 year old veteran at his third club, nearing the end of his career, to be a bit of a mercenary. It's okay for players to be self-interested.

To flog a dead horse, that's why Yeo leaving pisses me off more than anything else. Because that was not a self-interested decision. That was a childish, potentially career-threatening decision.

To be honest, I really don't have a problem with Staker's interview. I'd have expected a 29 year old veteran at his third club, nearing the end of his career, to be a bit of a mercenary. It's okay for players to be self-interested.

To flog a dead horse, that's why Yeo leaving pisses me off more than anything else. Because that was not a self-interested decision. That was a childish, potentially career-threatening decision.

Me neither. I agree it doesn't look 'fantastic' but I don't think it looks as bad as people are making it out to be.

For a guy at 29, who has had serious knee issues, this is quite possible this is his final contract. It's within his rights to go and find out what he's worth - it's still entirely possible he did get a decent elsewhere, but elected to stay.

Given our record of only offering 1 year contracts as players reach his age, I can't blame him for wanting to find out out whether another club would offer 2, or 3.

This is in comparison to Yeo, who was developing nicely, who we'd just spent 2 years turning into an AFL-grade player, who jumps ship at the first opportunity, with years and years still ahead of him.

At the end of the day he's also quoted as saying Brisbane was "the better offer" and "the better place to be for me". Also references our "bright future".

And finally, I'm sure as hell glad he's staying! A big 2014 for Stakes, I hope.

I wonder how it would look if the club come out and supposedly spoke truthfully and said;
"Yeah we shopped Brent around, we tested the market, but realy no one gave a glimmer of interest for a 29 year old with wonky knees and tenuous hold on his position within our best 25. Therefore, we cut his contract to bare minimum and told him take it or leave it. We do that with all 29 year old players at our club, we'll do that with Rich, Rocky and Redden when they are nearing their 29th."

We do have a history of shopping players to Carlton as well, perhaps there was a 'so if we give you stakes with doc can we please have your first rounder'?

Not fussed by his interview.....

see ed.it. over reacting as usual

Por form to quote yerself, but now I am comfortable with my first assessmemnt.

But then if you aspire to batchelor of the year, there surely is a self centred aspect to your personality.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 Review - by PattyKisagun

2013 was, for Brent Staker, one of the most triumphant returns from a long term injury lay-off in recent memory.

A vital cog in the side in both 2010, Staker played only seven matches in 2011 and none at all in 2012 due to two knee reconstructions, yet was still regularly seen by fans throughout this injury lay off through a number of various Lions' media initiatives.

There was word going around in 2012 that, after struggling to get his body back to its peak, Staker may pull the plug on his career. Thankfully, these proved to be false. He continued to push through his rehab in an admirably determined manner, but after a few minor injury issues had his return to top-flight footy delayed a little further beyond the start of 2013. After a brief return through the NEAFL, Staker was named to return to the senior side for the round 8 match against Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

What followed was one of the most memorable moments of not just the Lions' season, but arguably the entire AFL season itself. An Essendon side that, to this point in the season, was one of the top performers, were met by a dogged Brisbane side who matched them for intensity from the opening bounce. With only minutes left and the Lions ahead by less than a goal, Staker was tripped by Dyson Heppell near the boundary about fifty metres out. A free was correctly awarded, setting the scene for a spectacular match-sealing goal and a strong announcement that Brent Staker was back.

He went on to play every following match for the season, and become an important utility player once again for the club. A return of 21 goals from his 15 matches is proof of his value to the side, as he played a considerable amount of football in defence in that time too. Excitingly, a career that seemed all but over when Staker went down with a second ACL injury in 2011 is now reignited.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-21/staking-his-claim

"Last year was all about having fun because I'd had a few setbacks," Staker said.

"I think I'll take that same approach, make every post a winner and try and learn and give back to these young guys.

"As you get older you don't stress about little things that happen on the footy field, you just take it in your stride and move on.

"You don't go home with your head in your hands worried about things. You just enjoy it and live every moment."

Staker said new coach Justin Leppitsch had helped the relaxed atmosphere since he was appointed to replace Michael Voss last September.
He said training had been structured but "the guys haven't felt on edge".

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/01/21/laidback-lions-ready-fire-afl

Veteran utility Brent Staker was one of the few players Leppitsch was able to talk into staying in Brisbane in the off-season, knocking back overtures from Carlton.
And Staker reckons he is sure glad he did after seeing Leppitsch in action.
"It's been a gruelling pre season but it's been really upbeat with a changing of the guard with Leppa coming in," he said.
"I would say it's a lot more relaxed.
"There were some similarities because Leppa and Vossy were teammates.
"But while he (Leppitsch) is very structured he keeps if fun and relaxed - the guys don't feel on edge."

Nice backhander for Voss there...

Barely even that. He's pretty much saying that playing for Voss wasn't much fun, or at least as close as anyone will ever get.

Makes me wonder whether he would've stuck around if Voss' contract had been renewed.

Never had much time for players who complain that training or whatever isn't fun enough, even in a subtle manner.

Then again this is Brent "I thought I'd do what was best for me" Staker so I'm not surprised.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-21/firebirds-are-go
Despite their lack of netball ability, Lions’ utility, Brent Staker, said the boys were excited to have the Runners Up of last year’s ANZ Championships at the Gabba.
“It's great to see Queenslanders sticking together and we are rapt to have the Firebirds on board as ambassadors in 2014.” said Staker.
“Queenslanders really love their sport. The passion and pride that Queenslanders show throughout State of Origin really is something else, and would it would be great to translate that Queensland passion into support of the Lions.
“With Leppa at the helm and a lot of fresh new faces at the Club, there’s a really exciting atmosphere around the place and it is great to see some of the big Queensland names, including Mel Schlanger, Buffering, and now the Firebirds, showing their support of the Club.
“We look forward to getting the girls along to the Gabba throughout the season, and hopefully we can recreate some of their success over the past few years.
“Admittedly, our netball knowledge is a bit shabby, but hopefully the girls can sort that out and we can get along to a few Firebirds games throughout the season.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back