Brisbane needs help

Remove this Banner Ad

And how's a priority pick going to solve that?

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Better on field performance equals more people coming to the Gabba to watch the games which means more money for the Lions. Better on field performances also equals more people watching them on TV which means they can get more money for sponsorships.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Better on field performance equals more people coming to the Gabba to watch the games which means more money for the Lions. Better on field performances also equals more people watching them on TV which means they can get more money for sponsorships.
Unless they draft Gary Ablet Jnr with that priority pick, it's not going to improve them enough to pull more crowds etc. You have no idea.
They'll get pick 1 anyway, Trade it.

Fantastic idea

I'm almost 100% sure some people don't read a thread before commenting with their first thoughts; or if they do then they don't comprehend or think through what they are saying/proposing

I disagree. I don't see why a team should have the ability to pay more to it's players than any other club. It's stacking weights onto an already loaded scale

The AFL has a long term aim of being the number 1 sport in each state. Until that happens the Northern states will always be disadvantaged when it comes to drafting 1st year players because the majority of players come from 3 states. If there are ways to equalise this then the should be explored. In fact, they were explored and implemented until Brisbane had success, then Vic clubs cracked the sads and the AFL appeased.

The administration can only do so much if no money is coming in from ticket sales and sponsorships.

Well run clubs are at the top of the ladder though

So while a well run club doesn't equal successful
A badly run club does equal an unsuccessful club

Best thing the AFL can do is to keep a giant ******* microscope over the administration, help them out with football administration, sponsorship and generate revenue. If they need to drip feed them with cash injections for a while, so be it. That is the only help that would be close to being acceptable

The Lions need to help themselves by making sure they have a club that players want to stay at. Victorians, South Australians and Western Australians will always hold a natural advantage due to those states more than likely holding special significance (Either family or preferred club) to the players that come to Brisbane. The go home 5 is a perfect example of how the Lions need to look.

There won't be any retention allowances or COLA. Priority Pick? Can't see it happening as there has already been too many compromised drafts due to GWS and GC Suns. One year without AFL interference through a priority pick I think would be a breath of fresh air.

To be perfectly honest. A team in Brisbane is not a viable proposition on an even playing field. Their support when successful was veneer thin. Take that success away and the fickle supporters drop off as they have and what you have left is a city with very little interest in the game.

So unless you artificially prop them up and keep them in contention and by that I mean playing off for flags, you're going to be left with a basket case club as you have now.

Unless you have lived there, you really have no idea how thin the support is for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has a long term aim of being the number 1 sport in each state. Until that happens the Northern states will always be disadvantaged when it comes to drafting 1st year players because the majority of players come from 3 states. If there are ways to equalise this then the should be explored. In fact, they were explored and implemented until Brisbane had success, then Vic clubs cracked the sads and the AFL appeased.
Eddie McGuire was the driving force behind it. He's one of the biggest hypocrites in the world, that scumbag. Think of all the poaching his club has undertaken over the years, in some cases even to the detriment of Brisbane (namely Nathan Buckley)

To be perfectly honest. A team in Brisbane is not a viable proposition on an even playing field. Their support when successful was veneer thin. Take that success away and the fickle supporters drop off as they have and what you have left is a city with very little interest in the game.

So unless you artificially prop them up and keep them in contention and by that I mean playing off for flags, you're going to be left with a basket case club as you have now.

Unless you have lived there, you really have no idea how thin the support is for the game.

Agree, the club has been very poorly run, Brisbane locals are very fickle for the Lions and Reds if they are playing poorly.

So, what does the AFL do, puts another team in SE Qld and gives them the best player in the comp, a huge marketing allowance for that dud Hunt, a host of first round draft picks and the pick of Qld talent for the first 3 years.

AFL will never in our life times be the #1 sport in QLD (or NSW).
I think the best thing the AFL can do for teams in those states is to give the clubs exclusive rights to players in those states, like the father/son rules.
So those clubs have first dibs on all players in their state.
Then the AFL can help with administration and sponsorship.

The AFL compromise way too much on their FIXture and all they are doing is making the big teams bigger and other clubs are being left on perpetual life support - living pay check to pay check. It doesn't need to be this way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back