Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Found a list on the umpire association website - only 35 field people were listed as being field umpires in an AFL game in 2022. Their ages aren't listed, but wouldn't be too hard to work out who is 27, 29 or 31, I suspect their name will come out pretty soon.

The vic police press release says that "A Glenroy man was interviewed in relation to the offence of engaging in conduct that corrupts or would corrupt a betting outcome." then the other 3 were interviewed in relation with using that information. So we know it's a 32 year man from Glenroy.

On SEN, the bloke that broke the story (help out a brother here peeps) mentioned it wasn't the odds of the bet that raised concerns, it was the betting habits of the blokes (confirmed they were all men) that raised suspicion. If you normally put five dollar bets and suddenly drop 10 grand, suspicions get raised. When all of your mates do the same thing and splash it over social media and it turns out you're close friends with an AFL umpire - well, join the dots.
Sounds like we're dealing with a highly sophisticated betting ring here. Can only imagine the evidence available in the group chat.

Sounds like we're dealing with a highly sophisticated betting ring here. Can only imagine the evidence available in the group chat.
Exactly. I'm guessing said umpire could have "accidentally" let it slip who he gave the votes to, dumb arse mates reckon they've now got a fool-proof method to clean up the bookies and here we are.

Yes, I only looked at games that this person umpired.
Interesting!

A name I didn’t recognize at all and had to Google him to see what he looked like.

Not saying it is him and he has not been around long as an umpire as he is only in his 2nd season.

Went & analysed the rumoured umpires games in 2022 and these are the ones that stood out:

R1 - Jiath
R11 - Powell-Pepper
R15 - Amon

Would love to find the odds on each of these if anyone has that data available. From memory, none of these were favourites.

Age & location mentioned in the article also fits the description of said umpire.

Who’s the rumoured umpire?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went & analysed the rumoured umpires games in 2022 and these are the ones that stood out:

R1 - Jiath
R11 - Powell-Pepper
R15 - Amon

Would love to find the odds on each of these if anyone has that data available. From memory, none of these were favourites.

Age & location mentioned in the article also fits the description of said umpire.
Jiath was clearly bog round 1, no idea what his odds were but I went to that game and he was incredible. Definitely would've got the most votes in the Hawks bigfooty award and (I'm guessing) most of the media scribes

Not hard to find out who was the only bloke that umpired all those games.

Google is your friend.

Right so since I’m sick of everyone making vague accusations without actually making accusations, just to be clear, other users in this thread are accusing the umpire Michael Pell of being implicated in this scandal.

Ahh as in where they were arrested from?

also it’s just that they’ve leaked what votes were given, so it could have been any game. The three games above are irrelevant ?
Apologies, I thought it was established that it was a single game, so I imagined it was the "Who will get the 3 votes" market.

I could be wrong, but with the information available, and from browsing socials, and just putting 2 & 2 together, I am confident it is this umpire.

I have no idea where NF lives, but know he's from Tassie, and his socials said he bought a house in 2014, just highly doubt you pick Glenroy of all the places to live in Melbourne (Again could be wrong but backing myself in). And even though he is a keen punter, he would surely be aware of how much of a microscope would be put on him, just don't think he would be that naive.

Have a look at where the other rumoured umpire grew up & played footy, just seems too suss for me.

Right so since I’m sick of everyone making vague accusations without actually making accusations, just to be clear, other users in this thread are accusing the umpire Michael Pell of being implicated in this scandal.
No one has accused anyone of anything besides you!

I just searched what others posted and who knows who it is regarding the Ump in question.

Jiath was clearly bog round 1, no idea what his odds were but I went to that game and he was incredible. Definitely would've got the most votes in the Hawks bigfooty award and (I'm guessing) most of the media scribes
From memory he was not favourite for this match, need to find the historical odds, anyone know where this is available?

Just checked the round one votes at another Hawks website - 75% of responders had CJ as best on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back