News Bulldogs Announce Major Partnership with State Government on Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

They should use some of the coin to build a railway station across the road from the stadium, as the nearest station (at Wendouree) is about a 40 minute walk away according to Google Maps.
can someone get on the blower to Goodesy and find out how this is gonna work?

Just reading through the Hawks proposal to purchase 28 acres in Dingly for $50mil to build their stadium etc, got me thinking do we own Whitten Oval or is it leased? Looks like the Hawks are just leasing Waverley.

Just reading through the Hawks proposal to purchase 28 acres in Dingly for $50mil to build their stadium etc, got me thinking do we own Whitten Oval or is it leased? Looks like the Hawks are just leasing Waverley.

The Maribrynong council own it.

Incorrect. They bought it for $1.

"Under the terms of the deal, the oval and immediate surrounds were to remain for sporting purposes. Mirvac needed a club to occupy the oval. The Hawks, under the board of president Dicker, struck a deal that could be football's answer to Kerry Packer selling Channel Nine to Alan Bond – ie, it happens only once in a lifetime.

Hawthorn paid $1 and, in return, received the freehold on the entire oval and a portion of what is now the administrative buildings. Thus, the club gained millions of dollars of real estate – a freehold that gave the club serious assets on the balance sheet, a buffer for bad times and no rental costs – for nothing. The Hawks also bought the gymnasium at Waverley and receive a tidy return of about 8 per cent a year."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tion-debate-20131213-2zcsl.html#ixzz3uqnzFyTS

Big part of why they're where they are currently.

Last edited:
Right next to my work
Get to spy on hawks at lunch time

Incorrect. They bought it for $1.

"Under the terms of the deal, the oval and immediate surrounds were to remain for sporting purposes. Mirvac needed a club to occupy the oval. The Hawks, under the board of president Dicker, struck a deal that could be football's answer to Kerry Packer selling Channel Nine to Alan Bond – ie, it happens only once in a lifetime.

Hawthorn paid $1 and, in return, received the freehold on the entire oval and a portion of what is now the administrative buildings. Thus, the club gained millions of dollars of real estate – a freehold that gave the club serious assets on the balance sheet, a buffer for bad times and no rental costs – for nothing. The Hawks also bought the gymnasium at Waverley and receive a tidy return of about 8 per cent a year."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tion-debate-20131213-2zcsl.html#ixzz3uqnzFyTS

Big part of why they're where they are currently.

Wow, this is kept quiet, corporate welfare for the well heeled huh Although I suppose at the time they were in trouble.

Meanwhile North, Saints and Bulldogs are scrapping by under the toil of paying off Ethiad for the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, this is kept quiet, corporate welfare for the well heeled huh Although I suppose at the time they were in trouble.

Meanwhile North, Saints and Bulldogs are scrapping by under the toil of paying off Ethiad for the league.
Wasn't really. All over the shop. They brag about it now, went there for uni last year, Comms manager's first question, anyone know why/how Hawks are here and how much we paid? :rolleyes:

Wasn't really. All over the shop. They brag about it now, went there for uni last year, Comms manager's first question, anyone know why/how Hawks are here and how much we paid? :rolleyes:

Helps having an ex premier onboard, we really didn't get much benefit from Julia did we.

Helps having an ex premier onboard, we really didn't get much benefit from Julia did we.
Would imagine Federal Govt don't meddle in many sporting ground issues. Not sure if any club had the chance to purchase Waverley at that price, but guess Hawks were right place, right time. I think once Ballarat is done, we'll notice a massive difference in our financials, if we make close to what we do up in Cairns, times 2 or 3 per year, will definitely help. On the flipside, officially under 10 years til AFL takes over Etihad, very curious to see the deal we sign then, and hope Gordo is still around to fight for us on that front!

Will never happen, not prem season game anyway. Ballarat is the go instead.

Yes I think it will still be a dream for me. Loved the NAB Cup game there in February. Did you go to that game Pugz. Definitely see the benefits of the Ballarat initiative as well - hopefully it works out for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back