Burgoyne the great

How good is Burgoyne?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Take your eyes away from the statsheet and he'd probably be BOG or close to it. Ice cold.
Goliath in that last quarter. Sensed the Cats had a sniff and absolutely broke their neck with a handful of plays.

His best game for us was the PF last year, but he was pretty damn wonderful tonight.

He's now going to be remembered as a Hawthorn player, not a Port player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

c/o http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/player-ratings-hawthorn-

Shaun Burgoyne – 7
Was excellent when the game was at its toughest, winning the ball early when it was hard to win. Burgoyne proved once again that he is one of the competition's best big-game players, using the ball precisely and creating goals for others.

(emphasis added)

At the risk of sounding like Bruce McAvaney he really is something special. A great decision maker who rarely makes a poor decision with the ball. When things are getting frantic he just slides into a pack causally and delivers what is required. I seen him the other day at the Adelaide Airport and giggled like a school girl, I feel no shame.

Seriously love this man, a brilliant footballer.

As some have mentioned he was crucial late in the game when hitting up Roughy and then taking a courageous mark but I thought when he ran down the wing in the first quater taking 3-4 bounces before hitting up Smithy set the tone (for his team mates) for the remainder of the game, we had our fair share of it early but blazed away going forward, his calm head an ability to think his way through a situation is unrivaled.

He is 109-24 at Hawthorn. 4.54 wins/loss. Says it all. Thats better than Joel Selwood's win-loss record of 4.2 wins/loss (147-35) which constantly gets banged on about.
That stat is wrong. Burgoyne has only played 109 games for Hawthorn at 85 wins and 24 losses for a win/loss record of 3.54, not 133 games for Hawthorn at 109 wins and 35 losses for a win/loss record of 4.54. Sounded good though :)

That aside. Burgoyne is a jet.

Last edited:
Back