by a wacky wookie thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its only for people who are originally from the country competing unless theyve changed the rules recently.

It's only for people who played their junior footy, even though it's only 9 aside up until 17, in those countries. Citizens from those countries who learned the game overseas are banned.

Generally easier selling ice to eskimos, than selling football to RL fans.

People from other countries generally don't have the baggage that NSW, and to a far lesser degree Qlders have about AFL football.

Just wait until the AFL really try pushing into NZ. If you thought NSW and QLD were bad, just wait until you meet the NZRFU. :)

Another website wacked by wookie features.

Last edited:

It would seem that NZ is already far friendlier than Sydney.
I don't remember Sydney saying "we want an AFL(VFL) team".
I don't remember Sydney going from zip to 30k participants virtually overnight.
Sure it wont be easy but easier than Sydney.

As I said, wait until the AFL really tries to get into NZ. Those alleged 30k participants at school doing Kiwikick and playing social 9's, the odd AFL game and low key senior comps won't worry the NZRFU just yet.

If NZ supporters are anything like Sydney they just need a sniff of success and they'll come flocking.

They're more like Victorians. Passionate about their number 1 sport and hostile towards threats to their beloved All Blacks. Having said that, a team based in NZ, which is still years away anyway, would get GWS type support for a while until the game was better understood by locals.

Just wait until the AFL really try pushing into NZ. If you thought NSW and QLD were bad, just wait until you meet the NZRFU. :)

Yes, forgot about NZ, :).

There was a big bun fight in the late 1800's between AF and RU in NZ, but that was then, and now is now.

Feel pretty safe to say that AF will never be a big game, but if recent events are any guide, a number of draftees and a small market will suffice.

Hopefully the Saints in Wellington will be a win/win.

Last edited:
Yes, forgot about NZ, :).

There was a big bun fight in the late 1800's between AF and RU in NZ, but that was then, and now is now.

Feel pretty safe to say that AF will never be a big game, but if recent events are any guide, a number of draftees and a small market will suffice.

Hopefully the Saints in Wellington will be a win/win.

I never said forget about, I'm just saying the attitude in NZ hasn't changed much towards other sports. It remains very protective of one of its most sellable brands.

I do agree with you though, some draftees and a small market. I'd certainly follow a Kiwi team in the AFL.

I never said forget about, I'm just saying the attitude in NZ hasn't changed much towards other sports. It remains very protective of one of its most sellable brands.

I do agree with you though, some draftees and a small market. I'd certainly follow a Kiwi team in the AFL.

I think you misunderstod, i never meant forget about NZ, what i meant was, i FORGOT about the code wars there, and of course how protective the NZRFU was at the time.

I think there is actually a book out somewhere about it.

I do not see that it matters how many Americans (or Europeans) or anyone else haven't heard about Aussie rules. It only matters how many have, and to what degree. Because even though most have never heard of it, there are the few who have not just heard of it, but could name all the clubs, where they play, who is doing well, and which club they support. Many of the foreign national teams now have players who grew up with the game, because their parents where supporters.

Article in World Footy news recently about a new club in Germany. German guy moved cities to study medicine, and had the attitude that being in a city where he couldn't play Aussie rules just wasn't an option, so he started a club.

From what I can tell, this is becoming more common, overseas teams starting and running with little or no expat Australian involvement, and when that is happening, you get a compounding interest affect.

I think the Aussie game will keep expanding overseas, and that this will not distract the AFL from NSW or Queensland, as largely it will be people from those countries doing it. The role of the Aussie rule community (not just AFL) is just to make sure that the game is rewarding for those involved. Examples are the VWFL team VU St Albans Spurs who have just won a grant to tour the US. The annual VAFA under 18 tour of NZ, the U16 girls tour of NZ, the Academy tours of Europe, the indigenous tours of SA, and most importantly the IC cup.

Opportunities to improve, play in representative national teams, test themselves against superior Aussie teams, gets people hooked. You get people hooked, you get their kids, and potentially family, friends, workmates and co students. You get local people forming clubs, running the leagues, doing promotion and training juniors and growth inevitably happens, and that is the stage quite a few countries are at. It may look like nothing is happening and everything is Mickey Mouse from here, but it is not the case. If it keeps happening, it will get to a point where it has a measurable impact on the AFL and the game in Australia in general, although this may take a generation or more.

Last edited:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you misunderstod, i never meant forget about NZ, what i meant was, i FORGOT about the code wars there, and of course how protective the NZRFU was at the time.

I think there is actually a book out somewhere about it.

I did a bit, but I wasn't really talking about a code war as I don't think there would ever be one.

I'm actually in NZ at the moment and saw the first footy ground outside of the places you would normally find them in Auckland so some progress is being made.

Was strange being down at the park having people look at you funny while having a kick and bouncing the ball as they play touch and pass the ball around.

Last edited:
No expats allowed in the International Cup IIRC. Its only for people who are originally from the country competing unless theyve changed the rules recently.
It's only for people who played their junior footy, even though it's only 9 aside up until 17, in those countries. Citizens from those countries who learned the game overseas are banned.
and for these are the reasons the eligibility criteria for the IC to my mind have so much integrity. No vague links to the country you play for such as your Grandmother was born there, at the IC you are from the country you play for and developed your footy there.

and for these are the reasons the eligibility criteria for the IC to my mind have so much integrity. No vague links to the country you play for such as your Grandmother was born there, at the IC you are from the country you play for and developed your footy there.

Your grandparent being born in various parts of the world is hardly vague, but I do like how they've set the rules and haven't really deviated from them much, even if it does penalise citizens of competing countries who have developed their footy here.

Last edited:
Ok, vague is probably not the the precise word.
Shall we say "open".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have two garandparents.
If grandparents apply, then obviously parents apply.
So you can play for four countries and Australia?
What other rules apply. Like where you played your footy and at what age ?

It depends. My son could play for, New Zealand and Australia, while yours might be different. The GP rule is getting to the point where it's almost redundant.

Having narrow criteria does make for a more ethical competition but maybe less popular.

If everyone playing meets that criteria.

Last edited:
Not sure about you Cos 789, but I had 2 separate parents.....a mother and a father. 4 separate parents???? Must be a child of the 60's buddy...all that free love going around! :confused:

Not sure about you Cos 789, but I had 2 separate parents.....a mother and a father. 4 separate parents???? Must be a child of the 60's buddy...all that free love going around! :confused:
Your behind the times, now days you can have any number of parents, of any mix of genders

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back