Melbourne
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
2008_MortonC_Profile_med.jpg

• Number: 10
  • Height: 191
  • Weight: 78
  • DOB: 18-01-1990

Maybe struggled with the pressure in the AFL which may have affected his kicking. This is his video from last year:

[YOUTUBE]Jp9k754zabQ&[/YOUTUBE]

Cannot rate himhighly enough,
First game that he put on the good ol' Red And Blue.
I saw a future Brownlow medalist and a future star :)
Got his number on my jumper already :)

Mate, Agaisnt Collingwood he did outsatanding for a second year player. I'll just run this thought for you
Midfield - Spencer Jones Blease Morton
Forwards - Watts Wona Maric Petterd
Backs - Warnock Garland Martin Frawley Buckley

Doesnt sound too shabby, and also we are more advanced then what people think Dean Bailey just needs his players to be more creative and take risks because they cant drop any lower. It's all up from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 5 2009 vs. Adelaide Crows

Rating: 8/10
Kicks: 12
Handballs: 16
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Opponent: Not sure

DT Score: 95 Points
SC Score: 89 Points

I was not at the game yesterday but did watch it on TV so I will attempt to review his game from this perspective. I'm not really sure who he played on he didn't seem to have direct opponent as he was always in space.

Pros:
- Gathered possessions at all parts of the ground,6 uncontested marks shows he was able to make space around the ground.
- Ran well all game
- Some good defensive pressure

Cons:

For a second year player I didn’t see a lot of negatives in his game, his efficiency was at 57% so he needs to work on either disposal quality (which didn’t look to be a problem to me) or just taking a bit more time to sum up his options as he gets a lot of his possession in space which should allow him the time but he may tend to go to team mates under pressure.

Does he keep his spot?

Without a doubt he stays in the team. He has shown a lot of promise & I think he grows a bit each game. I gave him a rating of 8/10, taking into consideration the conditions & his age it was a very good game. Not many 19 year olds can rack up 28 possessions.

Rd 6 2009 vs. Geelong Cats

Rating:
8/10
Kicks: 17
Handballs: 9
Marks: 7 (1 contested)
Tackles: 2

Free Kicks: 1 for 0 against
Efficiency: 77%
Contested possessions: 5
Uncontested Possessions: 21
Clangers: 3
Inside 50’s: 5
Opponent: Not sure

DT Score: 103 Points
SC Score: 85 Points

I was not at the game yesterday & only got to watch the second half on TV. So again I will attempt to review his game from the limited amount I saw.

Pros:

- 26 possessions is a good number & a much higher percentage was from kicks.
- Mobility again was good he got into space & just keeps running.
- Courage, one contest stands out were he could have been cleaned up big time & didn't pull out.

- Efficiency was at 77% so used the ball a lot better & as a higher percentage was by foot this week we can assume his kicking skills were on. Being that he kicked a lot more it shows he was able to get enough time to look for options not just dispose of the ball.

Cons:

Again not a lot of negatives in his game, he seems to be alone a lot of the time so he may need to be a bit more accountable to who he plays on.

Does he keep his spot?

Yes, you can see the quality he has exposes itself a little more each week. After he was involved in a piece of play the commentators said he will be a gun & I tend to agree with them.

Rd 7 2009 vs. West Coast Eagles

Rating: 9/10
Kicks: 28
Handballs: 6
Marks: 16 (1 contested)
Tackles: 0
Free Kicks: 1 for 0 against
Efficiency: 76%
Contested possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 27

Clearances: 0
Clangers: 0

Assists: 1
TOG: 90%
Inside 50’s: 4
Opponent: Not sure – Seems I’m never sure.

DT Score: 146 Points
SC Score: 143 Points

I didn’t see the game but listened to it on the radio &. So again I will attempt to review his game from what I heard on the radio.

I know it may seem in my Pros & Cons that I am contradicting myself saying that his uncontested possessions are a good & a bad thing but it is a fine line between the two. If he gets most of these possessions because he is able to break free from his man at the right time this is a positive but if it is because he falls of the play & is free on the rebound then that is something he needs to work on. I wouldn’t think Bailey would allow the latter so it might be more positive.

When I next get to a game, which I hope is this Saturday I will take a good look & report back.

Pros:

- 34 possessions is a good number with a 76% efficiency rate & 0 clangers to go with it.
- 12 possessions in the last quarter shows he is running out the games well & can get the ball when the game is in the balance.
- Efficiency was at 76% & if we consider he had 28 kicks that that means 21 were effective & the other 7 were good enough not to be outright clangers.

Cons:

This may be his role but he never seems to have an opponent. To have 0 Tackles for an entire game is not a good look. To go with it 4 contested possessions out of 34 means he has had too much space & must not have put on a lot of defensive pressure when without the ball.

Does he keep his spot?

Yes, 34 possessions is an unbelievable performance & shows that he creates the option for his team mates to go to & that they trust him to use the ball well. He also had 15 uncontested marks so it seems no one could get near him.

9/10 is a high rating but if we take into account his age & experience this was a colossal game for the lad.

played across half back and go 37 touches. used the ball well. I watched him for quite a lot of todays game and i thought his work ethic and run was great. He may have had alot of uncontested ball but that was because of his run. 6 bounces was good and i think he laid a couple of tackles but my eyes may have been decieving me :p

I've never seen Melbourne have a superstar player before, but im confident he'll be a superstar of the competition.

He'll be the best player in the comp come 2012 :)

Rd 8 2009 vs. Western Bulldogs

Rating: 9/10
Kicks: 23
Handballs: 14
Marks: 7 (0 contested)
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: 1 for 1 against
Efficiency: 78%
Contested possessions: 6
Uncontested Possessions: 30
Clearances: 1
Clangers: 4
TOG: 90%
Inside 50’s: 4
Opponent: Apparently he played as a lose man in defense.

DT Score: 128 Points
SC Score: 119 Points

37 possessions is an epic effort & but it seems that everyone cashed in, with 3 Dee’s getting over 35 possessions & another 9 players having 20+ possessions.

Pros:

- 37 possessions with 78% efficiency.

Cons:

Nothing really stood out.

Does he keep his spot?

I don’t really need to answer this but……… Yes.

Rd 9 2009 vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Rating: 6/10
Kicks: 8
Handballs: 15
Marks: 6 (0 contested)
Tackles: 1
Free Kicks: 0 for 1 against
Efficiency: 78%
Contested possessions: 0
Uncontested Possessions: 23
Clangers: 2
Assists: 0
TOG: 88%
Inside 50’s: 1
Opponent: Jordyn Lewis & also played loose in the back line.

DT Score: 73 Points
SC Score: 63 Points

This was not one of his stand out games with a high possession tally but he did do some of the small things well. His best quarter was the fourth with 8 possessions so we can see he has built up good endurance already & over the next couple of years he will be able to improve on that. To back this up he played 88% of game time which translates to only about 13 minutes on the bench for the entire game.

Pros:

- cut off a couple of kicks into defense & looked to read the play well.

- Solid without being outstanding which is good that he still contributes even when he’s not having a blinder.
- Looked poised

Cons:

- Went against the trend of the last couple of weeks & handballed too much, I would rather see him try to look for an option a little further up the field but that is popular amongst most the players at the moment.
- His opponent if you could really say he had one was Jordyn Lewis although he didn’t look to play tight but he had 31 possessions so there is a case for him to be more accountable but if he is the to play as the loose man what can he do?
- His huge shorts, what’s the deal with them? I was thinking they look like a parachute then they started talking about them on SEN. Get some shorts that fit.

Does he keep his spot?

Yes, no reason to drop him he was still amongst our better players.

If Cale is going to be just about the best player in the competition (Which he is definitely capable of doing) he needs two things:

- Muscle. He won't ever win a lot of hard ball with the frame he has and with added muscle he'd be able to really make an impact in a marking contest
- Balls. Cale has a lot of things, but even I'll admit he's a little bit soft at times. I think Bailey is playing him in the backline for a number of reasons, but a main one is making him more desperate for the ball and harder at it, because if you have to win the ball anywhere, it is in defense

With muscle will come the courage to throw himself in there, he will begin to realise it doesn't hurt as much as he thinks it will. That said, Adam Goodes has never been the ballsiest player going around, sometimes its pays to have your outside players staying outside.

As for best player in the competition, calm it down DM.

Yer i watched the replay the other day and there was one bit where cale had the ball in the middle of the ground with players around him so he blindly handballed and got lucky that a player picked the ball up. He just need to show some composure which will come will muscle and experience.

Rd 10 2009 vs. St. Kilda Saints

Rating: 7/10
Kicks: 16
Handballs: 6
Marks: 9 (0 contested)
Tackles: 1
Free Kicks: 0 for 1 against
Efficiency: 77%
Contested possessions: 1
Uncontested Possessions: 20
Clangers: 1
TOG: 86%
Inside 50’s: 3
Opponent: No idea

DT Score: 99 Points
SC Score: 76 Points

Listened to this game over the internet don’t remember hearing his name a lot but he had 22 possessions which is an average return for him. Again he had most of his possessions uncontested but chose to kick 75% of the time. 3 inside 50’s suggest he pushed up forward a little more than usual & again he managed to have his best quarter possession wise in the fourth quarter. Efficiency ever week is around mid to high 70’s & it never seems to change by more that a couple of percent.

Pros:

- Kicked more this week which was opposite to last week so must have been able to get a bit more time to sum up his options.
- Continues to run out games & doesn’t let the fact we will lose affect his output.

Cons:

- No real issues with his game but not seeing it on TV or being at the game its hard to comment.

Does he keep his spot?

Yes, see Miller for form that warrants getting a game if you disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back