Draft Profile Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Really impressed by what I've seen of him. Hoping Adelaide pick him with pick 35 or 43 since by the sound of things, he should still be there.

Man I hope this kid gets picked up... would go out on a limb and say I would be happy to take him with our pick 29.

reminds me of the little dogs down at the park that run rings around the bigger muts....they always end up getting the loose tennis ball !!

I'd be rapped if we picked him up late, but then i think it would be a waste with us already having lachie neale. caleb would fit in better at a number of other clubs - I love his vision and poise

After reading the comments on here it makes me feel good we drafted him. Height didn't stop the likes of Libba Sr & Harvey make an impact, I look forward to seeing what the afl system turns him into

At worst he's a new cult hero. At best:

That game against Vic Country in the champs was sexy. How's the snap from deep in the pocket and the one touch handpass? Vic Metro game wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

Negatives are his height but then again he was playing SANFL seniors as a kid too so the bigger bodies can't have been too much a worry

Apparently he struggled.

He didn't dominate but played his role as well as Sam Mayes did a couple of years back. SANFL was on FTA this year so I saw a few of his games.

Daniel also had a decent preliminary final in the SANFL - 16 disposals and two goals.

At worst he's a new cult hero. At best:

That game against Vic Country in the champs was sexy. How's the snap from deep in the pocket and the one touch handpass? Vic Metro game wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

Negatives are his height but then again he was playing SANFL seniors as a kid too so the bigger bodies can't have been too much a worry

Still a big step up from SANFL to AFL

How many sub 170 players have had long careers in the past 10 years?
None that I recall, boomer is the only one but he started more than 10 Yeats ago.

I'm confident there's been no sub 170cm player in that time with the talent of CD though.

And ultimately he was our last live pick in the draft so not like we burned a high pick. The pick we used was the one we got from Carlton for Liam jones.

None that I recall, boomer is the only one but he started more than 10 Yeats ago.

I'm confident there's been no sub 170cm player in that time with the talent of CD though.

And ultimately he was our last live pick in the draft so not like we burned a high pick. The pick we used was the one we got from Carlton for Liam jones.

Harvey is 172 though which is 5 cms taller than Daniel for memory.

I'll watch with interest but history is against him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went down to training on Thursday, Caleb was fantastic.

His height certainly hasn't tripped him up - one Bailey Dale kick that would likely have hit Bontempelli on the chest went over his head, but other than that he's competed well.

Noticed during the match simulation that more often than not he runs to the right spots, tackles hard, runs back with courage under the ball, and his disposal is just sublime.

It's taking every ounce of willpower I have to not order a new #35 jumper.

he plays like Rod Ashman look him up -younger fans :)

The bulldogs will now have a mosquito fleet...

Dalhouse
Honeychurch
Hrovatt
Daniel
Johanesen

Next to
Stringer (193 cm)
McCrae (194 cm)
Wallis (187 cm)
Libba (186 cm)
Bonti (195 cm)

Owe yer and kicking it to Boyd :)

he plays like Rod Ashman look him up -younger fans :)

The bulldogs will now have a mosquito fleet...

Dalhouse
Honeychurch
Hrovatt
Daniel
Johanesen

Next to
Stringer (193 cm)
McCrae (194 cm)
Wallis (187 cm)
Libba (186 cm)
Bonti (195 cm)

Owe yer and kicking it to Boyd :)
I note that well that the Dogs are going against the 'common wisdom' of only going for larger mids that so many other clubs appear fixated with. I am not saying they are wrong to do so. But the 'established wisdom' is against them. I think that improves their chances of success, to be honest. Whenever the flock are headed in one direction, the ones that blow the trend often come out well.
Of course, it the idea doesn't work, then it will be a spectacular failure, almost an extinction level event. But that is another tale....

I note that well that the Dogs are going against the 'common wisdom' of only going for larger mids that so many other clubs appear fixated with. I am not saying they are wrong to do so. But the 'established wisdom' is against them. I think that improves their chances of success, to be honest. Whenever the flock are headed in one direction, the ones that blow the trend often come out well.
Of course, it the idea doesn't work, then it will be a spectacular failure, almost an extinction level event. But that is another tale....

I think the idea we went short in this draft is a bit over-represented. The media ran with an "average height" number of our draftees because it was low, however that average would have been markedly affected by the 167cm Daniel. In fact he was the only player we drafted shorter than 180cms. Lukas Webb (186cm), Declan Hamilton (183cms), and Bailey Dale (182cms) aren't exactly short people while Toby Mclean is 180cms. All have midfield potential.

Plus as already mentioned we have Bontempelli, Macrae, Stringer all above 190cms and even guys like Mitch Wallis (185cms) and Koby Stevens (189cms) aren't small.

I think the idea we went short in this draft is a bit over-represented. The media ran with an "average height" number of our draftees because it was low, however that average would have been markedly affected by the 167cm Daniel. In fact he was the only player we drafted shorter than 180cms. Lukas Webb (186cm), Declan Hamilton (183cms), and Bailey Dale (182cms) aren't exactly short people while Toby Mclean is 180cms. All have midfield potential.

Plus as already mentioned we have Bontempelli, Macrae, Stringer all above 190cms and even guys like Mitch Wallis (185cms) and Koby Stevens (189cms) aren't small.
Not quite the point I was trying to make, but, so be it.
I am not saying the Dogs have gone small with their whole list or the total drafting, but that they have not let size worry them. They have selected a number of smaller players over recent years, which is against the general AFL trend. Some clubs, my own, for example, have avoided smaller players on what appears to be a general principal. I see this as basically flawed. Teams that set trends often succeed over teams that follow trends, because their thinking is different.
I was also trying to say that although bucking the trend can be a big winner, it can also be a big loser sometimes.
I am not expecting this to be the case with the Dogs - I like a number of their smalls, like Daniel, a lot. I would have picked Daniel in a heart beat had it been my choice. However, it was not my choice and we went also went in a slightly different direction. I am hopeful of success, but not overly confident.

Getting back to the Dogs, they have a number of bigger possible mids. Bontempelli appears an excellent pick up. MacRae and Stevens are far from dwarves. Stringer could well end up as a mid now the club has a genuine tall forward, but it looks to me that they expect him to play more as a forward at this point.
I think that the Dogs' ruck stocks are going to offer more long term questions that their smalls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back