Call For Director Nominations

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I don't buy this for a second. Let's take the example of the 3 most successful clubs of the last decades - Hawrhorn, Sydney and Geelong. I don't even know who is their CEO, let alone what they are delivering their ‘stakeholders’. Clumsy use of an argument more appropriate to listed companies than sports clubs.

Wait, I do know Geelong’s CEO, Brian Cook, but only because we tried to poach him. Obviously a good operator, but that isn't apparent in terms of what the public was aware of.

Hawthorn's CEO is Stuart Fox, pretty well known in the industry, spent a decade at Geelong as the COO under Cook. Geelong's is Cook, whom we tried to poach. Sydney doesn't matter because the AFL are writing them blank cheques.

Hawthorn and Geelong have gone from the same struggle street as we have been in to become two of the strongest Victorian clubs financially speaking, the people previously at Hawthorn did the bulk of the heavy lifting. The quality of your leadership is critical to success.

Cook was previously at WCE who turned them around from a basket case to a very strong club before Geelong poached him.

Stakeholders just means a group of people that have an interest, investment, share or concern in something. For a club, the stakeholders are the members, the board are an elected representative of the members who are entrusted to represent their interests. The CEO is reviewed by the board, the board is reviewed by the members, ultimately the board and CEO work on behalf of the members.

Yeah all I hear as I walk up and down Errol Street is the serious PR issue faced by Carl and the club. Bad news every other day. The members are clearly ready to storm the Bastille.

FFS Tas, will you get a grip?

Okay, then tell me the positive things he has done as the CEO since his appointment, if I am dreaming then you could name many things that he has done.

I am not saying he has done a bad job, I don't know what he has done, at all. When Euge was doing stuff we knew what he was actually up to.

Euge was from Eddie's school of self promoting which was good for us. It seems to be slightly lacking with JB.

At the top end, if nobody knows what you are doing or how good a job you are doing then you don't exist.

It wasn't just about self-promotion, Euge got results, he was working on a lot of things to improve the club on and off the field. We knew what he was working on because the things he was working on attracted media interest.

My only concern is without a CFO or COO then perhaps being both the CEO and director without someone who can basically run the operation working beside him then how much time is he spending on other roles and how much time does he have to perform the CEO role.

He should be able to prove that he is being effective in all his roles, if he can't then as a member if you do not believe he can perform all the roles you need to make the decision for him, because he does not have any plans to step down from any of them. As I said before, it is not going to happen because North supporters think this is a popularity contest.

Genuine question. Is it good for the CEO to also be on the board? Is this common place in most business structures and AFL club structures?

I do like Mr Dilena from what little we hear from him.

It's not as common as one would think but to me it makes perfect practical sense to have the individual with the soundest level of knowledge of the day to day running of the organization to also report to the board of that same organization

Remove this Banner Ad

Back