Review Callan Ward and physically targeting opposition players

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't have to go at a bloke with the intention to injure. Just rough him up. Give him a horrible day on the park.
Agree 100%. I'd love to see us go out with a big more mongrel and put the hurt on some dudes. There are certain players you don't want to give that kind of attention to, as some of them thrive on it, but with players like Chingard who are proven to go to water when they're close checked, we should be all over them before even the first bounce. Players like that should know when they've finished playing the Crows, and not because they've had all afternoon on their own and kicked 5 cheap goals.

I really hope we are targeting an opposition player each week..
But I highly doubt it.. I think it was just wrong place, wrong time IMO... And a freak connection

And for me, I wouldn't just target the oppositions best players each week....
More the guy who has never copped it and is likely to not be able to handle it...
If we were playing Port this week, I'd go for Trengove...

I think it's definitely something we should bring into our game.
Cats made Danger a body target, at every chance the whole team hit him.
We should do the samething, whoever is tagging gets a beating! maybe not as out in the open as Dougies but same thing.
Lets see how long the Crowley's of the AFL world can keep up with Danger when they are being bodied from pillar to post by whoever is near him.

But I highly doubt it.. I think it was just wrong place, wrong time IMO... And a freak connection

I'd usually agree but I noticed we were getting after Ward well before the Douglas incident. If you're looking for it on the replay, you will notice.

If we're not looking to hurt important opposition players (within the rules, obviously) then we're foolish. Other clubs are going to be doing it to us, why wouldn't we be trying to do it back? It's a part of the game.

Of course, with the Douglas decision, we have had the fact that the rules have changed reemphasized. That sucks, but it's how it is. We need to figure out how to rough up the opponent within the rules as they stand now.

And for me, I wouldn't just target the oppositions best players each week....
More the guy who has never copped it and is likely to not be able to handle it...
If we were playing Port this week, I'd go for Trengove...

Not watching it on telly, there was definitely a concerted effort to get in Ward's face and space by our boys right from the get go, obviously the boys had either taken it upon themselves after reading the press about the lack of protection etc Dangerfield had been getting from his teammates in the early rounds, or the coaching staff had instilled it in them because it stuck out like dog's goolies!!

Not watching it on telly, there was definitely a concerted effort to get in Ward's face and space by our boys right from the get go, obviously the boys had either taken it upon themselves after reading the press about the lack of protection etc Dangerfield had been getting from his teammates in the early rounds, or the coaching staff had instilled it in them because it stuck out like dog's goolies!!
lets hope it happens every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back