May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Height/Weight: 179cm, 75kg.
Club: North Geelong/Geelong Falcons

BIO: Quick and agile goalkicking midfielder with excellent ball-winning ability. Disposal by foot is a feature of his game. Completing rehabilitation after preseason ACL injury and presented at Draft Camp in excellent condition without physically being tested.

Callum Bartlett

Pick 27 in the 2009 National Draft

bartlett.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* torn ACL in left knee while playing for Geelong Falcons (#29)
* torn ACL in right knee (#115)
* 2010 review (#155)
* 2011 review (#270)
* 2012 review (#423)

Contract status: 2010 - 2012

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2010: -
2011: -
2012: -

Coach's votes:

2010: -
2011: -

Tribunal history:

Re: Callum Bartlett

He's going to be really good. Karma for letting Ball get to us. Just thought I should let you guys know.

In his own words

What type of player are you?
Powerful, explosive onball-type player with good intensity.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
I believe I may have attributes of a player such as Luke Power - hard worker, good skills. Daniel Rich - penetrating left foot, strong over the footy. (Great answer! It is as if he knew where he was going :D).

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Left foot, strength for size, my leap, one-on-one, agility, speed.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?

Decision-making at full pace.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?

Geelong Football Club. Brought up that way mainly because of my mum. Was always a member when I was young.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?

My mum because of her support and being the one to drive me to and from training etc.

Link

Bartlett, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the pre-season, remains right in the thoughts of AFL recruiters because of his diligent rehabilitation after his knee reconstruction.

In 2008, Bartlett played 17 of a possible 20 matches for Geelong Falcons and although he was noted for his agility, his disposal by foot was another strong feature of his game.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLxiAD9Knjw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLxiAD9Knjw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Matt Burgan's Phantom Draft

27 - BRISBANE LIONS - Callum Bartlett
DOB: 19/06/91, Height: 179cm, Weight: 75kg
Recruited from: North Geelong/Geelong Falcons (VIC)
Draft range:
14-28

Lions coach Michael Voss has also publicly declared his interest in Ball, but will instead spend his first pick on the agile Bartlett, who has been compared to both Luke Power and Daniel Rich. A goalkicking midfielder and a fine user of the ball, he is difficult to place in this draft, having missed the 2009 season following a knee reconstruction. He received considerable praise for his diligent rehabilitation undertaken at Geelong Cats. Some recruiters believe the quick and agile Bartlett could still be a first-round pick, with the Cats not out of the question. Daniel Menzel has also been closely linked with the Lions, but is unlikely to be available at 27.

Impressive footage - explosive pace off the mark, agile and a booming left foot :thumbsu:

It's the pace that will be the biggest asset. Watching the way he burns off that lad @ 1m21s in that youtube clip is something I haven't seen anyone in a Lions guernsey do for years.

Pretty stoked we got him. Before I had read the interview on what player he resembled I already thought he looks like he played a similar game to Luke Power. Wonder if we'll see him debut in 2010 now that there is about 5 recycled players trying to break into the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham Hadley

“Bartlett is an aggressive, take the game on style of left-footer who didn’t play much this year due to an ACL injury early in the year. We think he’s got enormous upside and is an outstanding 17-year-old.”

bartlett.jpg

Emma Quayle ranked Bartlett as the 10th best player (the article seems to be wiped) in this year's draft, although she did not expect him to be drafted in the first round.

I've watched Cal play since he was 13 years old, and he has always been miles ahead of everyone else. Played in an Under 18 flag at 15, when he was bottom age Under 16s, and dominated. Pity he did his knee at the start of this year, but has responded well, and will continue to work hard to get what he wants out of his footy. Glad that he ended up at a club that is heading in the right direction like Brisbane :thumbsu:

From Inside Football –

CALLUM BARTLETT – midfielder, Geelong Falcons, Vic (edit: might explain the denim shorts)
DOB: 19/6/91 Ht: 182cm Wt: 82kg
“Callum hurt his ACL during the pre-season so he didn’t play all year. But, he’s had a really good rehab and is on track. Played with us as a 17-year-old last year and he’s a mid-sized left footer and very powerful, which has created some interest. He’s very similar to Brisbane’s Daniel Rich in that he kicks the footy with penetration and has good power and a body that is ready made, but he doesn’t have Rich’s game knowledge at this stage, so that’s something he needs to develop.” – Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking.
From North Geelong FC.

For those that have seen him, can he play the forward pocket role ala Luke Power's first few years in the league (50 goals from a small forward seems a long time ago now).

With Hooper gone, that injection of pace would be nice not to mention that nutmeg at 22 seconds in the highlight video was a thing of beauty (whered he go...whered who go (couldn't resist the Top Gun quote now that we've drafted Goose).

My take on Bartlett from my mock. I had him at 16 and am very happy to get him:

Callum Bartlett (Geelong Falcons, VIC)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 19/06/91

It is going to be interesting to see where he goes in this draft. He was highly regarded last year and a lot was expected of his this year prior to his knee injury which put him out of action this year. The big negatives for Bartlett are his knee injury, the fact that he has a reputation as being very outside and not winning his own ball and that he is not a big possession getter. It is the last one of those which is of most concern to me. As an outside player he really needs to up his work rate and get more than the 14 possessions a game he got in the TAC last year. Looking at it another way though 14 possessions from a first year player in the TAC is pretty reasonable and you would have expected him to up that a fair bit this year if not for the injury. On last year’s form he needed to improve his endurance and his knee injury is going to seriously affect the amount of running that he is going to be able to do this offseason. Accordingly I can’t see him being any chance to play AFL football in the first half of next year and realistically not until 2011. So he would suit a team that can afford to be patient with him. If your team takes him though there is a lot to like. He has a reputation as being very quick and a good user of the ball and that is certainly the case. He is a little on the short side but has a solid build that looks like he should fill out nicely. As mentioned he is quick but he is also very elusive and has a nice sidestep and swerve which makes him very difficult to tackle. He is not a player who will carry it 50m and then kick it but more often bursts through with a 20m carry and then delivers it nicely to his target. He is more of a power runner than a smooth mover and he has power in his hips that should stand him in good stead in his AFL career. He is a left footer and is pretty one sided although not completely so and he can deliver short passes with his right without too much drama. With his left he is excellent and he delivers it quick and lace out to his targets. Unlike most juniors he already can deliver those flat, bullet-like passes which are so effective at AFL level. He has good penetration but not great and 50m is about his limit. His delivery into his forwards is very good and he leads his forward very nicely and will hit him where only his forward can get it. He does not mind getting forward himself and should end up with 20 or so goals a year playing through the midfield or off a HFF. He is not a big guy and has a reputation as being very outside but he does not mind getting a bit of body contact and is quite good at using his body to free himself up. He is not easily outbodied. He tends to be a bit of a one way player at the moment and is not a big tackler. Given his pace and where he plays this will be expected to change at AFL level. He was rated by some last year as a top 5 prospect and I think could end up as a second round steal for someone this year.

Interesting to hear him being described as outside by some, and as a good ball winner by others.

Being robbed of playing out the TAC Cup season this year probably stopped him making a statement on the sort of player he wants to be.

That he didn't drop his bundle when he did the knee, and being completely professional about he rehab speaks plenty about him. Could be a very good pick this.

The Luke Power comparisons are interesting... perhaps Callum will also undertake his AFL apprenticeship in the forward pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back