Opinion Cameron, Patton, Boyd or Tomlinson -we must get one

Remove this Banner Ad

When are we getting your list of talls that we should look at dannnnnnnn?

Only thing I disagree with here is that we won't have the cap space. Be hard pressed to find a team with more space than us IMO.

I'd say the Swans could have more in reserve than us, it'd be close though.

Last edited:
My head hurts just trying to work out who we trade for what draft pick swap him for him to get our KPF etc etc Why don't we just develop Bonti into becoming our CHF (remember Chris Grant anyone?)
He's got the tank couple of pre seasons in the weights room and bang... Grand Final ! o_O

Our problem of late has not been scoring - it has been stopping the opposition forwards from scoring.

I'm still not sold on Talia and I don't see Roughy as a long-term fullback or CHB. I'd be in favour of us trying to get one or two gun key defenders and letting Macca manufacture a mobile, dangerous forward line that doesn't rely on an inconsistent, overpriced gorilla forward. We've got some options up forward that we need to try to develop into competent forwards - they don't have to be Coleman Medalists to help the team win a flag.

Let's not sell the farm to get a forward and forever regret that they haven't lived up to expectations.

My head hurts just trying to work out who we trade for what draft pick swap him for him to get our KPF etc etc Why don't we just develop Bonti into becoming our CHF (remember Chris Grant anyone?)
He's got the tank couple of pre seasons in the weights room and bang... Grand Final ! o_O

Don't bother mate - I've looked at this a million times. Basically I have come to the conclusion we need a CHF (given Jones' tank), Jones is definitely worth persisting with at FF. And the only marque players I think suit the role we require, within the right age bracket, are S Reid, J Patton, J Cameron, T Lynch or L Henderson (we drafted Grant instead that year). And we don't have anything of value we are willing to part with. So we go to the draft and develop our own.

The only consolation from all this is not many sides actually have a CHF type we are looking for, so they are struggling too. The downer is the two sides we will be competing with, when it is our time to challenge, already have them.

Forget trading guys, Macca will get a young guy who will come from the clouds who no one expects to be good and will teach them to be really competitive and straighten you guys up. Macca is a master at teaching young guys how to play to their absolute best. Just have a little faith.

Our problem of late has not been scoring - it has been stopping the opposition forwards from scoring.

I'm still not sold on Talia and I don't see Roughy as a long-term fullback or CHB. I'd be in favour of us trying to get one or two gun key defenders and letting Macca manufacture a mobile, dangerous forward line that doesn't rely on an inconsistent, overpriced gorilla forward. We've got some options up forward that we need to try to develop into competent forwards - they don't have to be Coleman Medalists to help the team win a flag.

Let's not sell the farm to get a forward and forever regret that they haven't lived up to expectations.

I am starting to think we may have own KPF already in play. Its been hinted at and even stated outright by some of our coaches.

J Roughead at FF, L Jones CHF or alternating. I know Roughy was no good up forward initially, but if and its a big if we can recruit or develop a KPD, we may well have what we need in Roughy. It'll be a hell of lot easier and less list decimating to get a KPD, hell Frawley is available now.

This may not be our best or preferred option, but in the end it may be our only option.

Roughy is our gun FB for the next 10 years, let him be.

Up until recently I would have agreed with you.

Roughy is no gun FB, Cloke and Carlisle have chopped him into tiny pieces in the last few weeks. As someone else has said, Roughy is suited to playing on resting rucks, he is simply not fast enough to play on true gun KPFs (or even Carlisle).

Can we afford Frawley? He wants to play finals in the next few years so that rules out Carl, Coll, St K. Has and Geelong only have 1 or 2 finals series left in them so we may be his best bet. Surely we be a pretty attractive proposition for any aspiring young forward as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughy is no gun FB, Cloke and Carlisle have chopped him into tiny pieces in the last few weeks. As someone else has said, Roughy is suited to playing on resting rucks, he is simply not fast enough to play on true gun KPFs (or even Carlisle).
I think you are correct. Talia and Roberts are much quicker, don't know why we are not trying to get them ready.

The guy is playing with injuries and very little help, Brian Lake would've had the same bags kicked on him. Too much baby out with that bath water.

Jarryd Waite is who I would be getting, and we can send Cranberry to Carlton for him, good swap, one still talented player for one not so talented player. But that won't happen, that is a swap, so for a draft pick Jarryd Waite, can play either end of ground.

Feel
Proposed trades on this thread are worse than laughable.

Feel free to post your own rather than post unedifying complaints. Debate and discussion is always welcomed or the bay is always available for Making pointless comment. If you actually have an opinion on how you see a trade going to get one of the players named in the title then I'm pretty sure this is a great thread to have a crack. Then again, opinions are like..... And you just may be one :)

Jarryd Waite is who I would be getting, and we can send Cranberry to Carlton for him, good swap, one still talented player for one not so talented player. But that won't happen, that is a swap, so for a draft pick Jarryd Waite, can play either end of ground.

queendonotwant.jpg

The guy is playing with injuries and very little help, Brian Lake would've had the same bags kicked on him. Too much baby out with that bath water.
That's true but you wouldn't play him on Guys like Franklin, Gunston, Kennedy even Riewaldlt. He just isn't quick enough. Lake has had the same problem since he came back from injury.

I assume the injuries you refer are shoulders, that doesn't change the pace issue. No baby or bathwater here, pretty sure Scarlett has said long term Roughy will play forward so its not an idle thought.

That's true but you wouldn't play him on Guys like Franklin, Gunston, Kennedy even Riewaldlt. He just isn't quick enough. Lake has had the same problem since he came back from injury.
Not necessarily but he has played on Roughead and did a fairly good job, ditto Lynch (GC). He can play on athletic talls when he's fit. But I'd play Talia on those guys.
I assume the injuries you refer are shoulders, that doesn't change the pace issue. No baby or bathwater here, pretty sure Scarlett has said long term Roughy will play forward so its not an idle thought.
Not just shoulders, no. Has some other issues from what I've heard (not sure if true though).
Scarlett also said he had the capacity to be the best full back in the league.
Sunday wasn't a pace issue, it was a lack of strength in the contest (shoulders) and too much space in front of him without anyone cutting in front. Cloke game was similar, he was with him on most of the leads but lacked the strength to get the fist on it. Very different compared to early in the year.

I dunno, James. Waite is about to turn 32. We'd be lucky to get one good year out of him. We aren't in a premiership window. I don't see the point.

If we could get Waite for free, then great. But I wouldn't trade a player that we didn't want to get rid of, or waste a draft pick trading for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back