Can AFL clubs learn from Barcelona?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Geelong do that a few years back? Handpass and keep possession at all cost?

They certainly did. Then in 2010 when it didn't work the prevailing wisdom was:

a)They overused the ball
b) It was all Ablett's fault

Of course now that Ablett has left and is just as good if not better, Geelong don't get enough of the ball.

So are you going to try and tell me that Basketball is on a similar level as soccer in Spain, like, say, Australian Football and Rubgy League in Australia?

Are Basketball TV ratings on par with soccer in Spain?

Without even looking at the numbers, I'd say to you they are absolutely nowhere near it.

Are there any autonomous communities in Spain where you can say basketball is much bigger than Soccer?

Do the very biggest basketball clubs in Spain manage to earn even 10% of what Barca and Real earn per annum?

I'd be surprised if they are even earning 5% of what they earn.

No, I'm not saying there on equal footing but basketball is still massive in Spain most likely there second largest sport, or maybe third behind cycling.

Can't answer most of those other questions without a bit of research but you certainly are underestimating how big basketball is in Spain as it is currently has the second best men's team in the world.
However, you do realise that the two teams you mentioned aren't exclusively soccer teams. These teams include other sports, of which the next biggest would certainly be basketball. So I'd imagine these annual revenue figures would take into account other factions of the sporting club such as basketball.

Although I can't find any statistics to back this up but anecdotaly I've heard (commentators) that basketball is the most popular sport in Vitoria, I'm sure I'll be able to find more to show you tommorow. Rugby Union would be the biggest sport in some of the Basque areas bordering France as well (I'll try to find some information to back this up this week)

Just google both of those teams you mentioned but in basketball teams and you will be surpised how big it is in Spain, it is on a far larger scale than any sport in Australia economic wise.

Barkly St End

I've just read that in the North of Basque Rugby Union is the most popular sport which although I don't find surprising is certainly interesting.

They certainly did. Then in 2010 when it didn't work the prevailing wisdom was:

a)They overused the ball
b) It was all Ablett's fault

Of course now that Ablett has left and is just as good if not better, Geelong don't get enough of the ball.

We handpassed at all cost, but we certainly didn't keep possession at all cost, far from it. We took huge risks with the ball by going direct - exactly what Barca do not do.

If any club plays with a Barca-esque style of game, it's Hawthorn. Lots of continuous short passing by foot, an emphasis on uncontested marks and picking your way through a zone defence.

Rugby Union would be the biggest sport in some of the Basque areas bordering France as well (I'll try to find some information to back this up this week)

Can't speak for the French side of the border, but futbol is #1 in Euskadi, the Basque region of Spain. Rugby is popular, though...

Sergio Busquets = Leeroy Jetta.

Mourinho28.jpg

yeh...let's learn from soccer and the wonderful tactics in which clubs can employ in Aussie rules footy :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back