Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should pick them first before we start the nepotism debate.

And them maybe give them a little time, possibly a game or two, before we make the conclusive calls on their career prospects.
Good post.

Plus father/sons are a great concept in the AFL and can see no harm in taking a risk with them as the upside is huge.

I still remember jumping out of my chair with pure joy when Jack grabbed his first inside 50 mark, crowd went crazy too.

I still remember jumping out of my chair with pure joy when Jack grabbed his first inside 50 mark, crowd went crazy too.

I’d been back in Oz all of 24hrs, the first time in over a year. Was in the members with hundreds of other disappointed Blues fans when Jack inexplicably gave away the chance of kicking a goal on debut. Not sold on drafting BSOS coz I know nothing about the player, but I am sold on the romanticism of it all.

I’d been back in Oz all of 24hrs, the first time in over a year. Was in the members with hundreds of other disappointed Blues fans when Jack inexplicably gave away the chance of kicking a goal on debut. Not sold on drafting BSOS coz I know nothing about the player, but I am sold on the romanticism of it all.
you see romance in carlton's future, mk?

I think we should pick them first before we start the nepotism debate.

And them maybe give them a little time, possibly a game or two, before we make the conclusive calls on their career prospects.

We’ll said, and agree with you. The riduclous assumption and accusations darted at the Silvagni family by certain elements is just dumbfounding.
They are devoted to the CFC and have best interest club foremost,
their loyalty is unquestionable and steadfast.

We’ll said, and agree with you. The riduclous assumption and accusations darted at the Silvagni family by certain elements is just dumbfounding.
They are devoted to the CFC and have best interest club foremost,
their loyalty is unquestionable and steadfast.

It's an easy target for the negatively-inclined who want to bitch and moan.

"BSOS isn't very good, drafting him is nepotism".

You know what - none of the players taken with picks in the 5th round are very good. They have significant deficiences in some combination of skills, size, attitude, fitness, professionalism, performance etc. And being taken that late in the draft, there's a very good chance he plays a dozen sporadic games over 4 years before being delisted, and then the negatively-inclined peanuts will say "I told you so", despite the fact that almost every kid taken around the same point in the draft under-achieves to the same level. But in the same way his "name" is the reason he gets drafted, his "name" is the reason some nitwits will single him out for criticism.

Here's a question - why should we judge him any differently to Glass-McCasker?

Knightmare:

Silvagni as a key defender may be a good move. As a forward while he presents up strongly at the footy and can take a grab, he doesn't have that something special/point of difference or provide that scoreboard impact to inspire confidence in me that he makes it as a key forward. Being that strong mark with good size (and still being sufficiently mobile), key defence I think should be a natural fit. Whether that's something Carlton need more of, that's a judgement call.

His height and size is appealing and he can play a shutdown role but he needs to become more of a rebounder, particularly with so many young key defenders coming through with that ability to not only beat their opponents as Glass-McCasker can do, but they also take intercept marks and provide some rebound. Draft range is mid draft - undrafted (though unless you're being noted as a first round selection this year the undrafted element is implied with everyone else this year).

Good post.

Plus father/sons are a great concept in the AFL and can see no harm in taking a risk with them as the upside is huge.

I had a tear in my eye.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't worry about BSOS.... SOS is a shrewd operator and big family man... his boys would of been told to first focus on education and just enjoy their school footy without having to carry so much expectation and their family name. If so happens they decide to put their name in the draft they will be drafted if shown a reasonable level of skill during school footy or within the academy (best thing is to not show too much in school footy...so you're not a first rounder!).

Ben will be everything we want Jack to be... these 3 might be a mirror of the Cloke's whereby the next one is better than the predecessor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an easy target for the negatively-inclined who want to bitch and moan.

"BSOS isn't very good, drafting him is nepotism".

You know what - none of the players taken with picks in the 5th round are very good. They have significant deficiences in some combination of skills, size, attitude, fitness, professionalism, performance etc. And being taken that late in the draft, there's a very good chance he plays a dozen sporadic games over 4 years before being delisted, and then the negatively-inclined peanuts will say "I told you so", despite the fact that almost every kid taken around the same point in the draft under-achieves to the same level. But in the same way his "name" is the reason he gets drafted, his "name" is the reason some nitwits will single him out for criticism.

Here's a question - why should we judge him any differently to Glass-McCasker?

Knightmare:

Hello Newman.....Rational, balanced, coherent....great post but no place in here for that.

Pablito BSOS getting picked can only be nepotism?? nothing else?? same as when he got picked for Vic Metro, same as when other clubs nominated him for the Combine...all a Silvagni conspiracy??

C'mon, don't be that guy....he's a late draft/rookie chance because that's where he deserves to be, same as the Hickmott lads. They all have deficiencies.

I wouldn't worry about BSOS.... SOS is a shrewd operator and big family man... his boys would of been told to first focus on education and just enjoy their school footy without having to carry so much expectation and their family name. If so happens they decide to put their name in the draft they will be drafted if shown a reasonable level of skill during school footy or within the academy (best thing is to not show too much in school footy...so you're not a first rounder!).

Ben will be everything we want Jack to be... these 3 might be a mirror of the Cloke's whereby the next one is better than the predecessor.
They are eerily like the Clokes in succession, in my opinion, right down to Tom and Travis both having a long face in comparison to their brothers.

List Lodgement 1 ,which includes eligible father son nominations to be submitted to AFL by 2.00 pm.

Surprising nothing is out from club unless they are restricted by some afl protocol on who first releases the information.

List Lodgement 1 ,which includes eligible father son nominations to be submitted to AFL by 2.00 pm.

Surprising nothing is out from club unless they are restricted by some afl protocol on who first releases the information.

Nothing from any of the clubs though with potential father sons... so at least we aren't alone in our radio silence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back