Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
They now know how to win when the game is on the line as opposed to folding like they did in 2022. They've managed some superb come back wins against the Dees twice last year one was that classic, epic semi final. They rolled the Swans the week before in the elimination final and have now produced two stirring wins to open 2024 last week coming from 46 points down to a team who went undefeated all last season at The Gabba and lost the Granny by just 4 points. Brisbane's winning ratio at home was a staggering 84 percent before last week. I kind of feel that at the moment the Blues have taken Premiership Favourites Status. They have the experience of winning and winning big games in finals as well as the heartache from 2022. They have the personnel and a Coleman Medal winner who's a good one-two punch with McKay who has well and truly got the monkey off the back.

Keep it positive too before you don't. I'll beat you to the punch for those that want to troll. This isn't a troll Pie supporter or not. This is what I believe 100 percent. Carlton are playing great football and are building something very special down at Ikon Park.

The Blues are up and about. And they're a very, very dangerous unit.

My view on them from before last night hasn’t changed.
They are right in the premiership window for the next three years.

Last night wasn’t convincing, but they got the four points and it’s March. They need to be rolling and going full tilt at the back end of the season.

With some luck with injuries and some good coaching, they should be in a good spot to contend for the flag this year.

Their form in games from Mar-July means nothing, leave that to the ‘journos’ who react on weekly home and away losses. They just need to rack up the points in this time to get them into Sept.

Fair bit depends on whether Walsh gets back and to 100% soon. They've navigated the early injuries to Walsh, Weitering and Doc (and to a lesser extent Silvagni and Marchbank) well, but if they were to have Doc and Walsh missing for the long-term, that's a lot of drive through the middle of the ground to lose.

Carroll looked good last night, but a midfield of Cripps/Hewett/Cerra/Kennedy is a bit slow and one-dimensional compared to what they would have otherwise. McKay's resurgence could take them a long way though if he keeps it up.

Fair bit depends on whether Walsh gets back and to 100% soon. They've navigated the early injuries to Walsh, Weitering and Doc (and to a lesser extent Silvagni and Marchbank) well, but if they were to have Doc and Walsh missing for the long-term, that's a lot of drive through the middle of the ground to lose.

Carroll looked good last night, but a midfield of Cripps/Hewett/Cerra/Kennedy is a bit slow and one-dimensional compared to what they would have otherwise. McKay's resurgence could take them a long way though if he keeps it up.

Fair call, Walsh is a critical inclusion.
Martin adds a harder edge to the forward setup and Motlop should replace Fantasia.
E.Hollands might also add to the mid/forward rotations.
A number of players set to return for North on Good Friday …

They now know how to win when the game is on the line as opposed to folding like they did in 2022. They've managed some superb come back wins against the Dees twice last year one was that classic, epic semi final. They rolled the Swans the week before in the elimination final and have now produced two stirring wins to open 2024 last week coming from 46 points down to a team who went undefeated all last season at The Gabba and lost the Granny by just 4 points. Brisbane's winning ratio at home was a staggering 84 percent before last week. I kind of feel that at the moment the Blues have taken Premiership Favourites Status. They have the experience of winning and winning big games in finals as well as the heartache from 2022. They have the personnel and a Coleman Medal winner who's a good one-two punch with McKay who has well and truly got the monkey off the back.

Keep it positive too before you don't. I'll beat you to the punch for those that want to troll. This isn't a troll Pie supporter or not. This is what I believe 100 percent. Carlton are playing great football and are building something very special down at Ikon Park.

The Blues are up and about. And they're a very, very dangerous unit.
I love your style.

Hard to know? Rounds 3-8 will tell us more;
  • Following Voss' presser; heavy training load the last 6 weeks aiming to hit the bye with a chance to ease up. Played our 2 practice games and round 0 game in heavy, humid, hot conditions, so all that combined understandable we were a bit flat at times last night. So after this "bye" refresher and if we can win and break this shackle of single point wins against North and be win positive for the next 5 against teams all in the mix then that will be a shot to the confidence and wear off the last of the scars they carry from our first half last season, our conclusion to 22, and the 20 years prior to that.
  • Missing some battle hardened IQ footballers such as; Weitering, Walsh, Martin who will all be back in the next few (Walsh is still a bit of a ? but he says he's on track), with Marchbank and Motlop also handy additions especially if Motlop continues on the trajectory he was showing last season. And we have some reasonable depth as cover in various positions and 2 mid-season selections.
  • Curnow's form is a bit hot and cold, but in saying that the last 2 coleman years he has taken a few rounds to get going. Harry is in great form and keeps that up opposition may reduce their double teaming of Curnow. He (Harry) was playing well pre-injury last season (bar the goal kicking) and we saw glimpses in the finals he played (he missed one due to concussion).
We've witnessed our 10-15 minute bursts many a time the last 2 seasons that has been a main driver to securing a lot of the wins, and we did see glimpses on our run last season of full 4 quarter efforts that were lacking during the Malthouse, Teague and Bolton eras. This season we've seen the 10-15 minute burst scenario in round 0, and last night we saw a more 4 quarter effort where we missed a few opportunities and were challenged effectively by a Tigers outfit who've had our measure the last 8 seasons. In short, can we win it? Possibly. I think we're in the mix of 6 teams who have a serious shot this season.

Can't believe we beat Brisbane so years off to a good start. Was always expecting Richmond to bounce back after the pantsing they got from the Suns.

Still concerned about our small fwds though, Martin, Motlop and Hollands hopefully improve that upon return.

Lol, I dont mind Carlton or Vossy but give me a break, they beat a side no one rates by 5pts who were 3 men down before half time coming off a 5 day break that last played in QLDs humidity.
Considering 2 of those 3 men down were defenders, how they couldnt score themselves is of concern enough in itself.

As I said in the gameday thread, last nights result says more about how Brisbane could fold from 46pts up than this result.

And im stuffed if I know why theres so much hype around Cripps, his disposal is woeful for a guy who struts around like he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And were 21-12 up in free kicks whilst trailling.

Free kick counts arent always a sign on their own, but certainly there were a few baffling calls.

But the Blues were unable to get a clearance on their own for nearly the entire night. That isnt a good look for their midfield.

Carlton can certainly win the flag, along with a few others but way too early to line up for tattoos yet.

In alphabetical order of who I think can realistically win are

Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
GWS
GWS
Sydney

That is it.

*Yes I put GWS in twice because I think they are twice the chance to win and are my pick.
*No I didn't put Port in because as much as I believe they are a chance, my keyboard just wouldn't allow it.
* Next year - Adelaide the big improver.

They should be their abouts, but will hold fire until after the bye. Need to not have a mid season dip and give themselves the double chance come finals.

Free kick counts arent always a sign on their own, but certainly there were a few baffling calls.

But the Blues were unable to get a clearance on their own for nearly the entire night. That isnt a good look for their midfield.
Agreed, and when you combine all that with Richmonds situation it paints a very negative picture of Carltons actual ability.

Only Vic media deadhead sychophants like David King could find a positive in being 46pts down against a side that could cave in and lose, followed by a 5pt win against a depleted non contender. And only then because he is so Vic biased in everything he suggests he needs every hope he can find.

Then he'd spin it the other way and say Richmond are also the real deal for standing up under adversity.

They played ordinary football last night at times against a mistake riddled Tigers.
At times they were playing like millionaires especially Fantasia who I can’t see making it into their premiership side this year.

They’ll lose and find form this year so hopefully they find it at the right time.

Collingwood last year were one of the only sides I can ever remember who won a premiership when they were out of form, their last 8 weeks was lacklustre and they still managed it.

Carlton will need to be in form and firing to win it so timing and injuries will be key.

They’re definitely a tough side to beat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back