Geelong and Carlton - Can they go all the way?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is an interesting discussion here around whether teams can win the flag from outside the top 4. We all know the Dogs won in 2016, but that seems to be accepted as the exception to the rule, rather than the rule.

The question to me is whether it's (near on) impossible to win outside the top 4 because you need to win 4 straight knockout games? Or whether it's because the teams from 5-8 are usually there for a reason (and thus not one of the best teams that year). I'd argue it's a bit of both, but probably more of the latter.

Aside from Dogs 2016, when has a team 5-8 been considered one of the 2-3 best teams in it? The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Swans 2017, who went 0-6 to start the season but then only lost 2 more games to finish 14-8. A lot of pundits were saying that Swans team were one of, if not, the best team in it heading into finals (they ended up losing semi final comfortably to Geelong who lost comfortably to Adelaide in a prelim).

In regards to Geelong this year, there are definitely some parallels. Our win-loss at this stage is probably below our quality due to a slow start to the season (0-3) and then significant injuries mid-season where we lost 4 of 6 games. Some pundits (e.g. Kane Cornes) said we are the 2nd best team in it after last weekend's win over Essendon. I think it's too early to say and we'll have a better idea over the next month or so as Cats have a really tough run coming up.

cats no will be knocked out week 1 of finals and blues wont make finals and end in 12th spot
Your predictions have been on fire of late.

Not sure why anyone thought cats were suddenly a flag chance.

Seems the way with a reigning premier, always seen as “dangerous” regardless of form in the following season.

I could see them winning a final maybe. No different to the other sides in the 5th-15th range.

Not sure why anyone thought cats were suddenly a flag chance.

Seems the way with a reigning premier, always seen as “dangerous” regardless of form in the following season.

I could see them winning a final maybe. No different to the other sides in the 5th-15th range.

Depends who we get first week.
I would like our chances against Carlton at the G.
As too St Kilda.
I think it's difficult to beat a team three times in the one season so Essendon probably produce the inexplicable result. Tends to usually go that way with this game.

GWS are a worry. They setup well against us so it would be difficult to win that one.

Changing my view on the Blues.
They certainly can go all the way as they are the form side of the competition and that is all that matters at this time of the year.

Geelong won't make finals after today's loss.

Incredible comeback by Carlton. Not many could see this transpiring a month ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changing my view on the Blues.
They certainly can go all the way as they are the form side of the competition and that is all that matters at this time of the year.

Geelong won't make finals after today's loss.

Incredible comeback by Carlton. Not many could see this transpiring a month ago.

GWS are in similarly good form, won 7 on the trot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back