Game Day Carlton Game Day Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

The game day experience is the same for every supporter. ******* boring.

Two venues in Melbourne. Prior to the national comp each team had a home ground. At least you saw different scenery when you played away games. Every second week you went to your home away from home and it felt right. Meet you in the social club or the Heatley meant something. I have no personal attachment to the 'G or Docklands and asking me to imagine Docklands as Princes Park by naming parts of the ground is stupid.

A certain way of adding to the game day experience is playing two games involving all your listed players. I miss the reserve competition. There is a total disconnect between most supporters and half of the list. All these guys who have come and gone in the last decade. I can have no opinion about them because I've not seen them play a game of footy.

So get use to it.

NB: I'm off to the local percussion shop to buy myself some bongos to bang on.

A certain way of adding to the game day experience is playing two games involving all your listed players. I miss the reserve competition. There is a total disconnect between most supporters and half of the list. All these guys who have come and gone in the last decade. I can have no opinion about them because I've not seen them play a game of footy.
If this is a whinge, you couldnt have timed it worse. This weekend will mark our first reserves game before a senior AFL game since 2003.

Two venues in Melbourne. Prior to the national comp each team had a home ground. At least you saw different scenery when you played away games. Every second week you went to your home away from home and it felt right. Meet you in the social club or the Heatley meant something. I have no personal attachment to the 'G or Docklands and asking me to imagine Docklands as Princes Park by naming parts of the ground is stupid.

So get use to it.

NB: I'm off to the local percussion shop to buy myself some bongos to bang on.

Please don't pretend you speak for every supporter pal.

Opinions are like arseholes. Best you keep yours covered up, it smells

Please don't pretend you speak for every supporter pal.

Opinions are like arseholes. Best you keep yours covered up, it smells

Hey, at least he was constructive enough to put forth his opinion rather than simply shooting others down........:)

BB, sorry I didn't mean to offend you I meant it generally, to all of us. I have to have a pie or sausage roll at least once on the weekend.

I don't care about what happens on game day so as long as we win. Because at the end of the day all you are going to remember is that we lost or won.

Holy crap - I think you're on to something!

The AFL needs to fund the construction of 7 more stadiums in Victoria so every team can have their own home ground. Naturally they should all be within 20 minutes of the CBD to allow as many fans as possible to attend games, and on that note they should have a seating capacity of at least 40k, ideally closer to 60k.

Then we can dress them up in club colours, plaster club sponsors across them, and the clubs can set their own ticket/food prices for members (non members pay triple).

Be reasonable, buddy, it's unrealistic to throw this out as the biggest problem with the game day experience. This is the price we pay for having a national comp at all - if you don't like it, your local comp is probably the best place for you.

BB, sorry I didn't mean to offend you I meant it generally, to all of us. I have to have a pie or sausage roll at least once on the weekend.

I don't care about what happens on game day so as long as we win. Because at the end of the day all you are going to remember is that we lost or won.

Haha, just playing the fool mate - you're ok.

Same story for me. I'm happy just chilling out and watching a game of footy.

Where the club could really step up though is in their interactivity. I've had a couple of fantastic experiences dealing with Melbourne - sourcing merchandise for family members and the like - and they go well and truly out of their way to make any interaction with the club a positive experience. I suspect it's because of their poor form in recent years, and that they've identified they need to work hard to keep fans and members. Carlton is in a similar situation right now but is yet to have that epiphany.

Give me a chance to queue up, shake Crippa's hand and get him to sign my guernsey, and I'm a happy man. Just don't do it at 10:30am on a Thursday when me and every other regular person is working.

If this is a whinge, you couldnt have timed it worse. This weekend will mark our first reserves game before a senior AFL game since 2003.
I am aware that there is a curtain raiser this weekend. I was merely stating that the game day experience was better when we had a reserves competition.

Holy crap - I think you're on to something!

The AFL needs to fund the construction of 7 more stadiums in Victoria so every team can have their own home ground. Naturally they should all be within 20 minutes of the CBD to allow as many fans as possible to attend games, and on that note they should have a seating capacity of at least 40k, ideally closer to 60k.

Then we can dress them up in club colours, plaster club sponsors across them, and the clubs can set their own ticket/food prices for members (non members pay triple).

Be reasonable, buddy, it's unrealistic to throw this out as the biggest problem with the game day experience. This is the price we pay for having a national comp at all - if you don't like it, your local comp is probably the best place for you.
Condescending commentary appears to be a strength. Keep working on it. You might perfect it one day.

Condescending commentary appears to be a strength. Keep working on it. You might perfect it one day.

Thank you, I do try.

If you'd prefer constructive criticism:

Try throwing some realistic ideas our way. It's not feasible to doctor the entire AFL/VFL/WAFL/SANFL/SANFL fixture in such a way as to allow reserves games to be played at the same time, on the same day, at the same venue as their senior teams. The AFL has actually made a concerted effort to give you access to a couple of "curtain-raisers", and it's not reasonable to expect this could happen more than once or twice a season for any given club.

Just like it is unreasonable to imply that every club should have their own "home ground" when there are nowhere near enough appropriately sized stadiums in Victoria to support 10 teams. Etihad has installed a ton of new screens around levels 1 and 2 that are used to spruik the home team in the lead-up to each game. It's a step in the right direction and should be commended rather than thrown in the "you tried and failed" basket.

You're entitled to think the gameday experience is "******** boring" but not everyone feels the same. Express your views by all means, but don't pigeonhole the rest of us. And at the very least try and be constructive yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, I do try.

If you'd prefer constructive criticism:

Try throwing some realistic ideas our way. It's not feasible to doctor the entire AFL/VFL/WAFL/SANFL/SANFL fixture in such a way as to allow reserves games to be played at the same time, on the same day, at the same venue as their senior teams. The AFL has actually made a concerted effort to give you access to a couple of "curtain-raisers", and it's not reasonable to expect this could happen more than once or twice a season for any given club.

Just like it is unreasonable to imply that every club should have their own "home ground" when there are nowhere near enough appropriately sized stadiums in Victoria to support 10 teams. Etihad has installed a ton of new screens around levels 1 and 2 that are used to spruik the home team in the lead-up to each game. It's a step in the right direction and should be commended rather than thrown in the "you tried and failed" basket.

You're entitled to think the gameday experience is "******** boring" but not everyone feels the same. Express your views by all means, but don't pigeonhole the rest of us. And at the very least try and be constructive yourself.

Well given the commentary that took place prior to my post I thought this thread was light hearted but I was wrong. Apparently my view that the game day experience was better when times were different has led to a flurry of serious discussion. The game day experience was purely about going to watch your team play with family and friends, hoping for a win and getting home safely. This is what still motivates me to go to the football. I don't need the sideshow to keep me entertained. So I have no suggestions to make other than suggest you get use to it.

Well given the commentary that took place prior to my post I thought this thread was light hearted but I was wrong. Apparently my view that the game day experience was better when times were different has led to a flurry of serious discussion. The game day experience was purely about going to watch your team play with family and friends, hoping for a win and getting home safely. This is what still motivates me to go to the football. I don't need the sideshow to keep me entertained. So I have no suggestions to make other than suggest you get use to it.

I think that's where the ball was dropped though - it was a light-hearted bit of fun, but if you go back and read your post it came down pretty heavy-handed. Happy to wipe the slate clear and go back to the shenanigans if you are.

I'm with you that the game is the focal point - 100% on the money. The notion of the "game day experience" lies predominantly with engaging kids, and attracting the "casual fan" rather than the footy tragic. My personal preference is that if I can meet a player or two once or twice a year, I'm golden. I can get through the losses as is, but would find it even more palatable if I felt a stronger connection to some of our current/future players. Right now they're just some dudes that wear the jumper.

Went to last week's game with my missus, her sister + partner and their <2 year-old son (our nephew). The discussion at half-time led towards their wish for a "kid-zone" - a small playground with glass walls so parents could let their kids muck around while still getting a halfway decent view of the game. As it stands, we each missed 5 minute chunks of the game in turn while we rotated kid-entertaining duties. My brother-in-law has flat-out said he'd rather stay home and watch the game as it's just too difficult to appreciate being there when you're more concerned with a distracted child.

I think the idea has merit, but not sure how it would best be implemented or if it's even worth the effort.

I think that's where the ball was dropped though - it was a light-hearted bit of fun, but if you go back and read your post it came down pretty heavy-handed. Happy to wipe the slate clear and go back to the shenanigans if you are.

I'm with you that the game is the focal point - 100% on the money. The notion of the "game day experience" lies predominantly with engaging kids, and attracting the "casual fan" rather than the footy tragic. My personal preference is that if I can meet a player or two once or twice a year, I'm golden. I can get through the losses as is, but would find it even more palatable if I felt a stronger connection to some of our current/future players. Right now they're just some dudes that wear the jumper.

Went to last week's game with my missus, her sister + partner and their <2 year-old son (our nephew). The discussion at half-time led towards their wish for a "kid-zone" - a small playground with glass walls so parents could let their kids muck around while still getting a halfway decent view of the game. As it stands, we each missed 5 minute chunks of the game in turn while we rotated kid-entertaining duties. My brother-in-law has flat-out said he'd rather stay home and watch the game as it's just too difficult to appreciate being there when you're more concerned with a distracted child.

I think the idea has merit, but not sure how it would best be implemented or if it's even worth the effort.

I'm happy to smoke the peace pipe.

In the good old days getting a player's autograph was a matter of hanging around after the game. If you were really keen the opposition players would gladly sign an autograph even if you had a Carlton jumper on. It's these types of traditions that have disappeared and lessened the value of the game day experience for young and old.

As for two year olds at the footy, you're braver than I .

So the guy I sit next to at the rugby was telling me that his brother's wife recently had a baby and they moved back to Melbourne from the UK (where she's from). None of them have a footy team but now that bubs is here they figured they should choose a team.

Rather than just picking whoever's at the top of the ladder, they wrote to all of the clubs in Melbourne and asked why they should go for them. They explained that in exchange for a description of the club's culture, history and future, the club would receive 3 members for life.

The responses were varied, but Melbourne won. They responded within an hour, sending them an email along with a free baby membership and premium tickets to their next game. They were honest about the hardships of the recent past and realistic about the future, and this won the family over. That's interaction. We need that.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Carlton hadn't responded at the time of me hearing the story, which was 4 weeks after the initial letter was sent.

So the guy I sit next to at the rugby was telling me that his brother's wife recently had a baby and they moved back to Melbourne from the UK (where she's from). None of them have a footy team but now that bubs is here they figured they should choose a team.

Rather than just picking whoever's at the top of the ladder, they wrote to all of the clubs in Melbourne and asked why they should go for them. They explained that in exchange for a description of the club's culture, history and future, the club would receive 3 members for life.

The responses were varied, but Melbourne won. They responded within an hour, sending them an email along with a free baby membership and premium tickets to their next game. They were honest about the hardships of the recent past and realistic about the future, and this won the family over. That's interaction. We need that.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Carlton hadn't responded at the time of me hearing the story, which was 4 weeks after the initial letter was sent.

Any idea who from the club responded? If it's my regular contact I'll be giving his boss some advice on justified pay-rises. Then I'll send my contact at Carlton an email demanding they poach the other guy from Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back