Roast Carlton in no man's land

Remove this Banner Ad

That is actually not a bad comparison. I do remember Hampson being a very talented player. Tom has better skills though. More natural and effortless.

I'm optimistic Tom has a lot left in him. His brother has gone from strength to strength. They are brilliant athletes when you take into account their height.
I've personally never understood how supporters can write off key position players at such an early stage. If they are not stars 50 games in, they are automatic busts.

If anyone offers us a first round pick, we’d be nuts not to take it.

Walsh and Docherty seem to be the only guys who literally give a damn.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF

It can turn quickly. See Collingwood who were having a fire sale not too long ago.

Keep the core of high-end talent and leadership in Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Docherty and Weitering.

Listen to reasonable offers on absolutely anybody else. Get some of them out for draft picks.

Get some talented and hungry kids into the team.

It can turn quickly. See Collingwood who were having a fire sale not too long ago.

Keep the core of high-end talent and leadership in Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Docherty and Weitering.

Listen to reasonable offers on absolutely anybody else. Get some of them out for draft picks.

It can, but no guarantee it will (obviously).

Pies at least had a core of experienced leaders like Pendels and Sidebottom who are proven winners and many who played in a GF 5 years ago.

We have a side of guys who have no idea how to win.

But you are right having the elite top end talent at least gives you something to work with.

High-end talent = yes.
Leadership = no.

Part of Carlton's current problem IMHO, those blokes aren't putting the team first.
Blues should do a Collingwood and move on an actual big name.
Dont need kids, they just need to add some talented and hungry players.

I agree that Carlton does not need to bottom out, and there's no way we will be bad enough to compete with the Eagles, North & Hawks for #1 picks.

However, the list does need a re-jig. Based on the age profile of our top-end talent the flag window shuts in 5 years. The club needs to move now.

Instead of being stacked with top-end high paid talent, we require list balance. Everyone laughed when Collingwood gave away Treloar, and then did the same with Grundy, but they realised that list balance is more important than having superstars on superstar money.

Here's what I would do:

Give away Zac Williams. Coming off an ACL, on huge money for a back pocket, and signed through to 2026. If anyone wants him they can have him for free.

Give away Jack Martin. Signed through to 2024, contract was heavily front-ended, but I wouldn't want a dollar of salary cap tied up in him. Free to good home.

Let Mitch McGovern walk. Free agent. I'd only re-sign him on "depth player" money.

Trade Tom DeKoning. Not a free agent. The money being reported is better reinvested elsewhere, and the capital that comes back in this trade will help facilitate other more important list improvements.

I'd trade Harry McKay. Carlton has two full forwards, we only need one. He is wasted up the ground and would be better suited elsewhere as a FF. Hope would be to replace him with two B grade footballers to add some list depth.

I'd also trade one of Fisher, Motlop & Durdin. Owies is clearly #1 and we don't need 4 of these guys. I'd not a Fisher fan, and he likely has the highest trade capital, so he would be my preferred option. I'd trade two of them if the right deal arose.

Delist Plowman, Fogarty, Dow, Durdin, E Curnow, Cunningham. List cloggers.

Focus areas for player acquisitions would be a backup ruck (on more reasonble money than DeKoning), a key defender, mobile tall high forward, and a medium sized forward. No guns. All B-graders. Depth. Depth. Depth.
That's great and all but what free agents are there to fill any of these roles? Trading Harry McKay is ludicrous. Yes, he's having a terrible slump in front of goal but there is nobody else to fill that position and you have already mentioned the 5 year window. Are we to draft another big that will take 5 years to maybe become as good as McKay is currently? Williams contract is bad, bad enough that no other club would want to take him on without us offering something with it. We may be able to pay part of his contract and trade to another club, but what are we doing with that money saved? I'm fine with McGovern going out if he's not happy with the amount offered, Kemp is there to fill the role. DeKoning being traded is whatever to me, I can see his potential but if he's getting ridiculous offers then so be it.

I think you are be outrageously pessimistic here. Yeah the clubs been serving up some absolute s**t on the field, but at least sleep on it before saying you want to trade or delist half the team.

Easy Fix with Carlton.
Either tell Harry to kick drop punts or get back to the twos and play there until he starts kicking drop punts. Who is coaching him that rubbish??
Either tell Motlop to kick drop punts or get back to the twos and play there until he starts kicking drop punts.
Either tell Cripps to kick drop punts with his right foot instead of that rubbish with his left foot, or give it off to someone who will kick the drop punt.

Delusional club and supporters....they still think junior SOS is the third coming .....🤣🤣🤣🤣
Is there a more maligned player in the league then JSOS? I don't understand other team supporters absolute obsession with him. He's a bog average player that leaves it all on the field every week. That's where Carlton fans have him, I don't think anyone thinks he's a gun at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's great and all but what free agents are there to fill any of these roles? Trading Harry McKay is ludicrous. Yes, he's having a terrible slump in front of goal but there is nobody else to fill that position and you have already mentioned the 5 year window. Are we to draft another big that will take 5 years to maybe become as good as McKay is currently? Williams contract is bad, bad enough that no other club would want to take him on without us offering something with it. We may be able to pay part of his contract and trade to another club, but what are we doing with that money saved? I'm fine with McGovern going out if he's not happy with the amount offered, Kemp is there to fill the role. DeKoning being traded is whatever to me, I can see his potential but if he's getting ridiculous offers then so be it.

I think you are be outrageously pessimistic here. Yeah the clubs been severing up some absolute s**t on the field, but at least sleep on it before saying you want to trade or delist half the team.
Hey Jye, remember you accused me of saying the team is trash?

Now I don't need to, just need to quote your posts.

Easy Fix with Carlton.
Either tell Harry to kick drop punts or get back to the twos and play there until he starts kicking drop punts. Who is coaching him that rubbish??
Either tell Motlop to kick drop punts or get back to the twos and play there until he starts kicking drop punts.
Either tell Cripps to kick drop punts with his right foot instead of that rubbish with his left foot, or give it off to someone who will kick the drop punt.
What should Walsh be told to kick when kicking for goal?

Easy Fix with Carlton.
Got in trouble for saying exactly this on the Carlton board.
Motlop doesn't do anywhere near enough for a hassle type player.
McKay, North all over him offering a treasure box.
When average kickers get the ball and try to finesse it.
The coach has improved none of this, and in some areas we've gone backwards.
If a coach can't coach.....well

Do Carlton really need two full forwards? Maybe you should see what you could get for one of them.

I think you are be outrageously pessimistic here. Yeah the clubs been serving up some absolute s**t on the field, but at least sleep on it before saying you want to trade or delist half the team.

Free agency won't be the answer, certaintly not this year. Harry Himmelberg is the only ok player on the list and I don't think he moves the needle. Next year's free agency pool looks a bit more interesting but Carlton can't afford to wait that long for 1-2 players.

Any improvement this year comes via trade - hence why I've put names up such as McKay, Fisher, Durdin & Motlop. Plus whatever draft picks we have.

I am firmly of the belief that having massive long-term money tied up in Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Saad & Williams is a huge problem. For the right deal I think they should all be available.

I don't think Curnow and McKay can play to their potential in the same side. Both play their best football out of the goalsquare. I'd like to cash one in to address other more important needs.

Is there a more maligned player in the league then JSOS? I don't understand other team supporters absolute obsession with him. He's a bog average player that leaves it all on the field every week. That's where Carlton fans have him, I don't think anyone thinks he's a gun at all.
I agree ...I'm just taking the piss ...but seriously it can turn around ...Tigers did it in 2017.....you guys have the talent but I'm not sure why it doesnt click ...it has at times but not enough ......is it Voss ? ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back