Strategy Carlton people in position of power in the AFL and Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Pater44

Debutant
Feb 19, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that we as a club needing to grow need to start getting Carlton people in position of power within the AFL and Media to grow. For years we have been complaining how we get the rough end of the stick at the tribunal, umpiring and media always trying to rub us out but we never have anyone willing to stand up for us as a club...

Is in just me or has the time come to train Carlton people to become position of power within the AFL and Media. I’m sorry but its no coincidence Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood get favourable calls, favourable draws they forever have people in the media, in the afl talking up their brand...

We need to address all avenues in the AFL and it needs to happen now. The media love to see us down, the afl love to see us down. They know we are such a strong club we will never fold and so they just keep potting us. For the opposition supporters it’s the perfect storm. Sure on field success brings confidence and respect. But the time has come to look at it from another angle.

For to long now we have been the club that is too scared to talk ourselves up. Even Andy Maher (Pretty much our only Carlton media voice apart from Juddy) is too scared to talk positive about us. Think of it this way... if you continuously get told by everyone in AFL that you are s**t, pretty soon you’ll start to believe it...

Carlton should aim for the following top jobs.
AFL CEO
AFL umpire boss
People in media with strong Carlton views.

Thoughts???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Curly Austin worked at the AFL for years.
Mike Fitzpatrick was the Chairman of the AFL Commission for years.
Andrew McKay was on the MRP.
Michael Jamison is an AFL Tribunal member.
A number of footy journalists/radio announcers are Carlton supporters.

We just need to focus on continuing to grow our club from the ground up & the success will come regardless of who is running the AFL & who is the loudest media voice.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that we as a club needing to grow need to start getting Carlton people in position of power within the AFL and Media to grow. For years we have been complaining how we get the rough end of the stick at the tribunal, umpiring and media always trying to rub us out but we never have anyone willing to stand up for us as a club...

Is in just me or has the time come to train Carlton people to become position of power within the AFL and Media. I’m sorry but its no coincidence Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood get favourable calls, favourable draws they forever have people in the media, in the afl talking up their brand...

We need to address all avenues in the AFL and it needs to happen now. The media love to see us down, the afl love to see us down. They know we are such a strong club we will never fold and so they just keep potting us. For the opposition supporters it’s the perfect storm. Sure on field success brings confidence and respect. But the time has come to look at it from another angle.

For to long now we have been the club that is too scared to talk ourselves up. Even Andy Maher (Pretty much our only Carlton media voice apart from Juddy) is too scared to talk positive about us. Think of it this way... if you continuously get told by everyone in AFL that you are s**t, pretty soon you’ll start to believe it...

Carlton should aim for the following top jobs.
AFL CEO
AFL umpire boss
People in media with strong Carlton views.

Thoughts???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There are as others have pointed out plenty of blues in the media. But what can they do. They are as affected by our lowly situation as the rest of us. It will all change when the team starts to win regularly.
As for a club aiming for corporate power. No. It doesnt work like that.
Edit, By the way there is no such thing as a favourable draw in advance the way the competition is now. Who can predict the form of one team over another and hand pick sucess. No-one can..its silly. That said our draw last year was very favourable to our situation. But by heck we got clobbered by the injury gods so bad.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the conversation is not 'let's curb the influences that lead to bias, corruption; let's clean our sport up to ensure a level playing field', instead being, 'how can we do what the others have done better to benefit ourselves?'

If you can influence an umpire's calls with this kind of influence, then why follow AFL at all? It's just another mates club, a popularity contest in which the best team doesn't win, the most obsequious one does; a club willing to kiss arse, willing to shelve their pride, willing to do whatever it takes to win. It is no less cheating than what Essendon did; it is not dissimilar to how we used to pay excessive amounts of money to our players above the limits set by the salary cap.

I'm not so cynical as all that just yet, but if that is the direction the AFL heads, I'm out. I'm not following the wrestling.

I find it interesting that the conversation is not 'let's curb the influences that lead to bias, corruption; let's clean our sport up to ensure a level playing field', instead being, 'how can we do what the others have done better to benefit ourselves?'

If you can influence an umpire's calls with this kind of influence, then why follow AFL at all? It's just another mates club, a popularity contest in which the best team doesn't win, the most obsequious one does; a club willing to kiss arse, willing to shelve their pride, willing to do whatever it takes to win. It is no less cheating than what Essendon did; it is not dissimilar to how we used to pay excessive amounts of money to our players above the limits set by the salary cap.

I'm not so cynical as all that just yet, but if that is the direction the AFL heads, I'm out. I'm not following the wrestling.

It ain’t right but the AFL is run by human beings so bound to be flawed and is what it is unfortunately ...

4872EBA6-3C50-4C50-B6A3-2D8C4D02D036.jpeg

When it comes to the media and the CFC, a famous Stephen Kernahan quote comes to mind. "We're Carlton, * the rest."

You don't get there the soft way. We're not bloody Essendon who survive on the hype that is regularly popped like an over-inflated balloon. You get there the way we're going about it. I'm beginning to notice the turn in the media's opinion of us. Hell, even Mark Robinson said he was liking the way that Carlton was going about it in one of the preseason Fox shows. Mark Robinson! That drunken fool hates us as much anyone else in the media. Even he knows what is slowly building.

We've had people in high places as others have said. I've always felt that we've copped it harder when we have.

Nope, we give them no choice but to respect and appreciate us by doing it the right way. The accolades will come.

This is a side issue. Totally. Why do we need sycophants in the press gallery? It’s more entertaining for them to be haters. Positions of Authority? As pointed out by mediumsizered we’ve had plenty of them? If an individual wants to do it for personal reasons. Fine. We don’t need a hand.

As an aside. KG Luke was a Carlton man. Did it help? I don’t know. Did it help KG? VFL Park was his dream and probably his cash cow.

This is a side issue. Totally. Why do we need sycophants in the press gallery? It’s more entertaining for them to be haters. Positions of Authority? As pointed out by mediumsizered we’ve had plenty of them? If an individual wants to do it for personal reasons. Fine. We don’t need a hand.

As an aside. KG Luke was a Carlton man. Did it help? I don’t know. Did it help KG? VFL Park was his dream and probably his cash cow.
Because Ed would not have been suspended last year it weren't for Whateley's incessant bleating.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well it looks like I am in the minority but I completely agree.

Have listened to Kb and Molloy fawn over the ferals, and troll Carlton for over 10 years with barely a word said in the Blue's defence and would love someone to give it back.

You want someone to give it back? Try the 22 on the ground putting it up on the scoreboard and being quality people and great professionals. Nothing hits home harder.

Because Ed would not have been suspended last year it weren't for Whateley's incessant bleating.

Ed should've been suspended, and so should Charlie.

In a fair system, one in which the umpires are sacrosanct and impartial, one which treats them as the custodians of the game that they should be, you should not make contact - whether it's fair or unfair, whether it's intentional or not - with an umpire. That it was even speculative that Ed could get off is a testament to the degree that umpires and the tribunal can be influenced by external sources, as was Bachar Houli's non-suspension then suspension.

As I said earlier, it's interesting that this is the direction that the conversation is heading.
It ain’t right but the AFL is run by human beings so bound to be flawed and is what it is unfortunately ...

View attachment 639967
Human beings created the UN. Human beings drafted the Declaration of Independence. Human Beings wrote Plato's Republic. Human beings have plumbed the depths of existence, and human beings have flown man made craft to the ******* moon. Human beings wrote My Brilliant Career, The Master and Margarita, and they wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Don't tell me that we are not better than this, because we are.

If you are willing to say 'this is the way things are', you are de facto accepting any measures to game the system; you are accepting Essendon's drug saga as an acceptable measure to attempt to skirt the line between being fair and not; you are accepting our salary cap breaches as 'something that everyone was doing': all of it justifiable under the pretext that it is what it takes to win. It is not winning purely that makes one great, and no amount of victory will fill the gap within the soul if you are not good enough.
You want someone to give it back? Try the 22 on the ground putting it up on the scoreboard and being quality people and great professionals. Nothing hits home harder.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a fair system, one in which the umpires are sacrosanct and impartial, one which treats them as the custodians of the game that they should be, you should not make contact - whether it's fair or unfair, whether it's intentional or not - with an umpire. That it was even speculative that Ed could get off is a testament to the degree that umpires and the tribunal can be influenced by external sources, as was Bachar Houli's non-suspension then suspension.

As I said earlier, it's interesting that this is the direction that the conversation his heading.

Human beings created the UN. Human beings drafted the Declaration of Independence. Human Beings wrote Plato's Republic. Human beings have plumbed the depths of existence, and human beings have flown man made craft to the ******* moon. Human beings wrote My Brilliant Career, The Master and Margarita, and they wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Don't tell me that we are not better than this, because we are.

If you are willing to say 'this is the way things are', you are de facto accepting any measures to game the system; you are accepting Essendon's drug saga as an acceptable measure to attempt to skirt the line between being fair and not; you are accepting our salary cap breaches as 'something that everyone was doing': all of it justifiable under the pretext that it is what it takes to win. It is not winning purely that makes one great, and no amount of victory will fill the gap within the soul if you are not good enough.

Inspiring.
Send it to Gill , he’ll probably offer you a cheap pie at our next Sunday afternoon Docklands game ...

As I have said before, in the world game and plenty of other sports they can touch the ref and vice versa....they can't threaten them though or be physically agressive....and thats the way it should be here.....they get punished for accidents here....its ludicrous and typical of australian over the top rules

That's my opinion.....not asking anyone to agree or condone it..and I defend the principle that the umpire is always right even when wrong.

Last edited:
It's a fair thread...as much as we'd like an even playing field, the influence of some journo's and media commentators is quite deafening.

I have no doubt that Wheatley and his Geelong mafia mates swayed the decision of the AFL not to grant ourselves and GCS a priority pick in 2018. They created such a ground swell of opposition supporter backlash through the media that the AFL could justify not granting them without any public outcry.

And that is exactly what eventuated.

These days to get a gig in AFL tv or radio, you usually need to be an ex-player. And most of the ex-players getting gigs come from teams that have had some success. So we need to start achieving on field, before we're going to get any plum footy jobs off field.

As I said earlier, it's interesting that this is the direction that the conversation is heading.

Sorry couldn't edit your reply.

Re: Ed and Charlie being suspended.

In that case EVERY other player who made incidental contact with an umpire in 2018 should also have been suspended. There were plenty of them.

Remember Whateley's 'think of the children' line.

He was just pissed that Tomahawk got suspended for basically slapping an umpires hand away. So he lashed out at the next player to make contact with an umpire.

The incidents Tomahawk and Ed incidents were only similar in the fact that a player touched an umpire. The one was a a conscious aggressive slap while the other was akin to placing a hand on someone's arm while speaking to them.

Sorry couldn't edit your reply.

Re: Ed and Charlie being suspended.

In that case EVERY other player who made incidental contact with an umpire in 2018 should also have been suspended. There were plenty of them.

Remember Whateley's 'think of the children' line.

He was just pissed that Tomahawk got suspended for basically slapping an umpires hand away. So he lashed out at the next player to make contact with an umpire.

The incidents Tomahawk and Ed incidents were only similar in the fact that a player touched an umpire. The one was a a conscious aggressive slap while the other was akin to placing a hand on someone's arm while speaking to them.

Yes, every player who made contact with an umpire (deliberate or accidental) should've been suspended. My contention isn't that the system isn't corrupt, it's that our response to it shouldn't be to deepen that corruption to suit ourselves.

Jesus mother and mary Geth …...

you just keep knocking those mother*ers back over the bowlers head.

We have some serious talent in our posting midst.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

In a sensible system anything that doesnt threaten the umpire ought to be no big deal. It must be a throwback to the convict origins that there are such silly strict rules and zero common sense. In fact the relationship as it used to be where an ump would lay hand on the players arm to explain things does a lot more for the sacrosanct status of both the officials and the rules than this latest scenario that has created a divide. The old way which was fine for over a century shows a mutual respect and the human touch. And what about when the umpire is a goose and gets in the way and the player cant help it. Is that player a thug and a menace? No of course not. Its plain stupid.

Last edited:
The two are not mutually exclusive.

No, they're not. However, we don't want to be like Hawthorn off the field because the media will have a field day.

When we have a team of quality people who are high-level successful professionals the media is left to admire us begrudgingly. There's nothing to pick apart.

Regardless of how many Carlton people we could have in the media do you think we'd get away with having Luke Hodge-like off-field indiscretions? Pigs arse.

No, they're not. However, we don't want to be like Hawthorn off the field because the media will have a field day.

When we have a team of quality people who are high-level successful professionals the media is left to admire us begrudgingly. There's nothing to pick apart.

Regardless of how many Carlton people we could have in the media do you think we'd get away with having Luke Hodge-like off-field indiscretions? Pigs arse.
That's probably the case. And having a team full of the finest people is the best way to way to avoid trouble.

But look at the recent revelations from Dane Swan.

Had McGuire run point for him his entire career heading off all manner of headlines.

Compare that to Fevola, and how he was portrayed in the media and maybe you can see my point.

Chances are the club will one day have another bad boy at the club. I would like the club to be represented well, for them to be portrayed in a positive light.

Be authentic. Be honest. But also be smart about it. No-one should need a lawyer to represent them but they're important to get the best outcomes.

The difference between Swan and Fev is that Swan wasn't stupid enough to do his stupid s**t out in the open like Fev.

Impossible to cover up the dildo stupidity and people are on record that Judd tried, in vain, to get him off of the Street Talk at the Brownlow.

I'm sure Fev did a lot more than what we ever found out about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back