Not open for further replies.
Round 3​
Geelong vs. Carlton​
Etihad Stadium​
Saturday March 13 @ 7.40pm​

Geelong-logo-2008.gif
vs
Carlton-logo-2006.gif

Apologies for this won't be an in depth preview as I haven't seen either Carltons nor Geelongs games over this weekend.​
Past 5 encounters: G-12pts, G-2pts, G-42pts, C-36pts, C-35pts​
What we do know:
We're still a work in progress with Mick working through his players and his game plan.​
We've also been in a position to win both our games to date, but couldn't pull it off when it mattered.​
We have many players performing below their standards at the moment and that may make for a good thing or a bad thing. Hard to say just yet.​
The positives:
Carlton certainly has the speed to worry Geelong even though they now have a few hand speedsters themselves.​
Carlton should be able to dominate Geelongs rucks and particularly so if we do bring back Warnock who had a terrific game at VFL level on Saturday night.​
Henderson is just starting to get into the groove after a slow build up through the pre-season, post surgery and Laidler will be better for the run also.​
The trio that were fighting out for captaincy haven't yet found their feet and it may be fair to say that they can and should only get better.​
The negatives:
Waite, Betts and arguably Hamspon being out, are a real hit to our forward line structures and they're still a couple of weeks away from seeing action.​
The Back-line: Even though the talls are standing up, we're not finding a good balance of players around them. We must get cohesion back there, or any thoughts of a defensive platform to our game, can't exist.​
The intangibles:
Players Lucas, Bootsma, Casboult, Rowe, Bell and Davies weren't part of out better starting sides last year yet were all included for a match we could have easily won.​
Lucas in particular must be persevered with but only one of Rowe and Casboult can be included for now.​
Carlton:
Likely ins: ..................Warnock Scotland​
To be considered: .....Buckley Curnow Joseph White Duigan
Miracle recovery: .......Waite Hampson Betts

Geelong:
Likely ins: ..................Rivers
To be considered: .....Horlin-Smith
Miracle recovery: .......Johnson

Possible Carlton team:

Laidler Jamison Tuohy
Yarran Henderson Scotland
Simpson McLean Gibbs
Lucas Rowe Armfield
Garlett Walker Kreuzer

Warnock Judd Murphy

Carrazzo Robinson Bell
SUB: Buckley

Possible Geelong side:

Rivers Lonergan Enright
Mackie Taylor Varcoe
Corey Bartel Kelly
Duncan Podsiadly Smedts
Caddy Hawkins Motlop

West Selwood Stokes

Christensen Chapman Hunt
SUB: Blicavs

Net result:
Happy-Blue-Balls.jpg

sad-cat.jpg

Let's move on to next week instead of wallowing in misery. Looking forward to the preview Harks.

Buckley a chance to come in. Did some magic things in the VFL. Curnow was BOG. Warnock hit form and could be that second ruck if Hampson is out still. Not sure what they do. Rowe should stay in, and Casboult on a wettish day took 3 contested grabs (and precious little else I grant you).

Scotland is an automatic in. I'm thinking Boots might be given a break after a two game taster. Too many players to squeeze in.

We drop this and we can go close to kissing finals goodbye, if you start 0-3 your going to have to come home 13-6 to scrape into finals and we simply don't have that KP forward to make this go long game plan work that consistently.

OUT: Davies, Tuohy
IN: Duigan, Scotland

Plenty of time to debut guys like Menzel in rd 6 vs the Dees:)

In: Hampson(if fit), Scotland, Temay

Out: Casboult(for Hammer), Bootsma, Tuohy

How fit is Waite? Was CurnoW good enough to justify selection?
No idea about Waite. It's almost a trick question because there is no correct answer. Curnow was BOG according to Northern Blues or at least those tweeting from the ground on their twitter. Most disposals and 90% of them were contested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Waite, Betts and Hampson aren't to be rushed back...

Northern Blues report.

Watson Jamison Tuohy
Scotland Henderson Armfield
Simpson Gibbs Judd
Garlett Kreuzer Robinson
Yarran Rowe Walker
Warnock Murphy Carrazzo
Bell Laidler Lucas Mclean

emerg: Curnow, Buckley, White

In Warnock, Watson, Scotland
Out Casboult, Davies, Bootsma

Completely forgot about Curnow. Would love to have him back.

Assuming Waite, Betts and Hampson aren't to be rushed back...

Northern Blues report.

Watson Jamison Tuohy
Scotland Henderson Armfield
Simpson Gibbs Judd
Garlett Kreuzer Robinson
Yarran Rowe Walker
Warnock Murphy Carrazzo
Bell Laidler Lucas Mclean

emerg: Curnow, Buckley, White

In Warnock, Watson, Scotland
Out Casboult, Davies, Bootsma
Could also have Hendo forward with the inclusion of Watto.

In: Warnock, Scotland, Curnow, Buckley
Out: Tuohy, Davies, Casboult, Armfield

F: Garlett - Warnock - Buckley
HF: Robinson - Rowe - Yarran
C: Simpson - McLean - Gibbs
HB: Walker - Henderson - Scotland
FB: Laidler - Jamison - Bootsma
RU: Kreuzer - Judd - Murphy
IC: Curnow - Carrazzo - Lucas
SU: Bell

EMG: Tuohy - Casboult - Armfield

In pure carlton grit determination skill guts and silly. WE WILL WIN WE ARE CARLTON. I HATE EVERYONE ELSE

Not all rivals are spuds.

Will be another interesting week at the selection table for sure.

Warnock I can see coming in to help exploit Geelongs lack of quality ruckmen but also to help lighten the load on Kreuzer who had a massive game against the filth.

I see from Azul's link to the Northern Blues that Cachia got named in the best, I don't know anything about him (other than he was a rookie of ours a few seasons agon & has since been playing in SA), is he likely to get a run in the seniors this season & what sort of player is he ?

Could also have Hendo forward with the inclusion of Watto.
Yep, that's a major benefit in including a 3rd tall defender. We only had that luxury yesterday following Jolly's injury.

Plus, it's important to keep Jamison and Henderson fresh throughout a long season. We can't expect them to play 95% gametime week in, week out.

is he likely to get a run in the seniors this season & what sort of player is he ?

Well hopefully, it's cruel to redraft a player back from interstate if he's to be denied an opportunity. I haven't seen a lot of Cachia but he's supposedly a big bodied midfielder.

If he plays consistently through the first half of the season, he's a good chance to be elevated mid-season competing with Dale, Rhys O'K, Collins. But otherwise, he awaits a long term injury.

Despite what our win/loss column shows, the fact is we improved from week one to week two. I expect that trend to continue and hope that supporters can see the bigger picture of the season as a whole. Right now, I think process is more important than results. Even if some people had the (frankly optimistic) hope that we make top four this year, after two rounds it still is attainable. With this in mind, If our improvement continues at the same rate then we can beat Geelong. For this, four quarters of intensity are required and a few tweaks to the line-up. The sky hasn't fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back